1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Ryan Hollins as commentator so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Oct 18, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That bar is buried 6 feet in the dirt

jiggyfly, HP3 and clos4life like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

That high?

clos4life and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Hollins has those soulless eyes too… nothing going on behind them. This is as good as it will get with Hollins here… he won’t grow on you, he won’t learn Rocket or Houston specific stuff… This is it until he gets caught in a scandal or dies or takes a job with the Magic. Get used to it.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

What’s the pop culture reference of “I love Houston, I grew up here?” Sorry, I’m out of touch.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

oh it was small, but noticeable: CA was sarcastically saying during the broadcast that nothing big was going on in the city of Houston referencing the Astros ALCS game 1 and Ryan, not being in touch with anything Houston, didn't pick up on the sarcasm at all.

Makes me wonder if CA tested with Ryan before he got hired. CA is full of these "I love Houston" moments.

things gonna get uncomfortable, lol

Drift Monkey, jiggyfly, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dry like that large area west of the Nile. Heck, also east of the Nile. Hydration is a good idea. Lots of hydration.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tilman should throw the bag at JVG man. That would be amazing and I bet JVG would love it. Not sure how much ESPN is paying him though to leave that job but I'm thinking most guys JVGs age would love to travel less.

Drift Monkey and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

plus he can coach a bit on the side too . Bullard worked with guys on shooting , Calvin with FT shooting I believe .

definite yes on JVG .

couldn’t hold his tongue enough for Tilman’s taste ... and I’m pretty sure he’s said bad things in the past ... maybe not , I don’t remember

Drift Monkey and JayGoogle like this.
  9. anchel

anchel Member

He's actually good. Better than Bullard/Clyde.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He sounds like an 11 year old on too much caffeine

11. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I was sold on him after the locked on rockets podcast he was on.

I was dreading listening because I don’t care about him but he was a lot better at that format because he has experience with radio. He will get get better I think or at least he says he is working very hard to get better.

also he was basically saying “I know everyone doesn’t understand why I was hired with no history with the team but give me a year and you will see improvement and hopefully learn to like me.” Seems humble and knowledgeable, chemistry will come.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've only got time for rookies that are playing on the Rockets or rookie commentators who played significant roles with the Rockets. I can't listen to a role player that played on 10 different teams and not even once on the Rockets. Even more so as he sorta sucks at his job and wants us to give him time to learn on the job. Would calling Mad Max be that hard?

Drift Monkey and juanming like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now there's an example of somebody that wasn't anything Houston... hell, he was anti-Houston as far as Rockets fans were concerned. Now "everybody" loves him.

Nook and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Calling him is no problem. Asking him to commentate is the problem.

#54 Dr of Dunk, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What has your lifetime been, the last 6 months? Hollins is fine - he checks the box and that's about it. There isn't anything terrible about him, or anything compelling for that matter. He is like the Gap or maybe Old Navy of broadcasters. Even though the old broadcasting team was terrible, they were at least memorable. Hollins is just "basic" - you know?

Slyonebluejay, Nook and DreamQuake like this.
  16. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

Ya I thought that too then I heard mad max on the podcast and he was tripping over his words and was WAY worse than hollins. If max was picked I would give him a chance like Clyde (he was bad day in and day out) because I will watch the games either way.

Would you rather had deric fisher because he was on the team for a day? Hollins is a scrub but at least I don’t hate him… yet.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well the bar hasn't been set high. Let's be honest about that. Bullard was absolutely terrible and said something cringe every few minutes. Drexler the same. Before that we had that hillbilly from the Comets? So we have to go all the way back to Calvin and it's been so long I really don't even remember what that was like - but if it's anything like Calvin at halftime, it was also full of cringe.

I'm just so relieved to listen to a guy who doesn't make me cringe constantly.

#57 Williamson, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    glimmertwins likes this.
  18. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Al-PRON UGH!!

BallSoHarden and Drift Monkey like this.
  19. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Elaborate. Please. I want to be convinced because I think he's worse than our rookies at this broadcasting so far

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Listening with an open mind he's been good. Him and Craig are starting to develop chemistry as they get comfortable and experience together.