1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

We should be fine. Just take next one or two games and then return to Houston.

BigM likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The upside is the offense has scored no fewer than 5 runs in every game this postseason and the Astros bullpen has been solid. Honestly at this point, they just need the starters to give them 4 innings with no worse than 3 runs allowed and they can at least get a game in Boston and bring this back to MMP.

Also, another upside to today's debacle is that the Astros have only 2 losses this postseason, Garcia was the starting pitcher in both, and they gave up 12 and 9 runs respectively. So even a guy as stubborn as Dusty knows that if this gets to a Game 6, there's no way in hell Garcia takes the mound. You go with literally anyone else.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Well having 0 reliable starters is a big big problem. Probably insurmountable as the teams get tougher and the series get longer.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Agreed except for the part about Garcia. Options are thin. I suspect they go with Odorizzi because he’s the veteran but there’s nothing close to a sure thing at that point.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Even Valdez as shaky as he was last night would've probably given up only 1 run through 3 innings if not for Altuve's error. We don't need shutouts. Just 2-3 runs allowed through 4. Then hand it over to the bullpen.

astros123 and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dusty already said Garcia would start again later in this series if healthy. So, the idea that Dusty will now avoid Garcia is bogus.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

I am absolutely convinces that having an off day after a loss is better for the losing team as they have more time to regroup. We'll see.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It’s 1 game so you move on. Hopefully Urquidy has the series of his life. Going to need him.

9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

This game would have been close if that 2nd grand slam didn’t happen. If I’m not mistaken both grand slams happened with 2 outs.

10. Mattician

Mattician Member

The offense scoring 5 runs a game isn't going to be enough to win 3 more games with how the starting pitching has been the first two games.

The deep lineup that led the league in scoring needs to show what they're capable of. And the pitching needs to avoid the big innings.

Maybe I'm just overreacting after this horrible loss. What a bad day for my sports teams today.

11. ImG

ImG Member

One game at a time fellas. Onward to Monday.

awc713, Stephen66 and Tfor3 like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

I know Garcia got hurt, but starting him in this game was a huge blunder with how he’s pitched over the past six weeks. I don’t know what Click/Dusty thought would happen in this game. Start Odo in this game and the Astros have a decent chance to win.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. BonziWellsGOAT

Bro get off my nuts. I also never ever said Chas is bad defensively. Not once. Again plz produce receipts. Chas is a good defender but Meyers was a bit better. Again get off my nutsack and don't put words in my mouth. Have a good night.

RKREBORN likes this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I think Odo was the plan for game 4 after McCullers went down. Now iI guess it’s going to be Grienke? As of this moment I have zero confidence in the remaining starters. Both Framber and Garcia were getting behind in counts and gave up tons of walks and hits in just a couple of innings.

Need Urquidy to pitch to his ability and Grienke to turn back the clock about a decade.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Greinke is our savior this series... Make his ass earn some of that money

Tfor3, Houstunna and Surfguy like this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A decade? I’ll take game 7 of the World Series 2 years ago.

Houstunna and jayfree like this.
  17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Bullpen for Game 4 with Javier starting would be my approach. I believe Dusty has said that Zach is not prepping a starter anymore as well

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Greinke's worst road stats in his career are at Fenway. I'm sure Odorizzi would have started in Fenway but that's out now.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Stros66

Stros66 Member

You can thank Garcia for the 7 era.

ramotadab likes this.