1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Playing in the post has never been something he's tried to do, he's got the fluid movement, quickness, shooting touch, and agility to develop some....but that comes with years of putting in the work. Hakeem was always a post style player, so he started developing them from the day he picked up a basketball for the first time. Mobley developed his game as a guard, but outgrew the position, so those skills are far more refined than any traditional center skills.

As to the Capela comparison, Capela is pretty terrible at shooting a basketball, he always has been. Mobley in college was a better shooter than Capela ever will be. Being able to knock down shots is key to developing in the post unless you are going to be a Shaq type that just runs over people.

So in short, he already moves like Hakeem, he just hasn't learned the dance yet because he's never really spent any time trying to learn that particular dance before.

Again though, that's just my opinion based on what I've seen. I could be TOTALLY off base. It wouldn't be the first time.

i3artow i3aller and Kevooooo like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I had read that he didn’t have any handles and only watched clips of him (not a college bball fan at all). He just didn’t look that special in the videos. There were a few post moves where he spun inside but didn’t elevate to dunk. He didn’t seem very aggressive and strong (strength you can build, but aggression I’m not sure). We barely were able to get Yao to increase his aggressiveness.

I was impressed with his footwork guarding on the perimeter but those are against college players — most of whom are nowhere near NBA level potential. Will it be that impressive against Nba guards?

you’re right about the shot. I didn’t even think about that. 12-40 on threes (30%) , if I remember correctly. I think Cade shot like 4 x more threes and hit 40%. I’ll need to go back and look more at his form. Shooting form can change but it takes tremendous work. I give lonzo major props for significantly improving his mechanics.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Hakeem's trained a lot of players over the years and said the number one factor for success with him was having great talent. Big whoop, right? People bring up the great improvement Kobe had in his post game after training with Hakeem, but he was a prodigy with a HOF level offensive tools already. Hakeem trained Dwight while he was still in Orlando and Dwight never developed even a passable post game despite elite athleticism and strength. Hakeem can't elevate anyone beyond their natural talent level.

Here's footage of DMo training with Hakeem. DMo was one of the quickest big men I've seen, 7 feet tall, and was a natural post player already when we drafted him. You can still see the massive talent gap between them. DMo loses the ball on spins and his footwork is sloppier. While DMo developed into an effective post player eventually he never became elite. If Mobley hasn't learned the dance yet, IMO he was not as advanced as DMo at the same point of development, then he's got a hell of a long way to go.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. juanming

juanming Member

That's how I feel I'm scared to death Detroit is going to take green

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

They wont pass on Cade, but will regret not doing so when Green Mamba establishes himself as the best player in the league...

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We need another choice in the poll called "Either".

I like both players for different reasons individually, as well as how they would fit on this team. I'm not sure I'd call it a toss up, but its damn close for me. I love Green's star potential both as a player and a personna. I think Mobes could do some great things for our defense, while also adding some offensive versatility.

burlesk, D-rock and jimmyv281 like this.
  7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

And like I said the best player is probably around #10 or something.

If I saw this guy months ago I would’ve screamed for Houston to draft him.

Only 19 and the game seems to come easy to him like any prodigy of the sport.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

16 is "around 10 or something"

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Looking it up, he was constantly projected literally around #10.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jos...j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

You guys have to admit I’m pretty genius with this stuff. My last 50 posts have basically been about being right for the past two years about what I say. All kinds of things.

I had no idea this guy existed until last night but immediately looks like he’ll be an all-star multiple times just off the first glimpses.

these other guys? Eh.