1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Insults are the last resort of insecure people with a crumbling position trying to appear confident.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Spot on

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Just remembering a previous era of yours.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

What?

First of all how is that an insult? Those are his primary (only?) attributes.

Second, what else does he do?

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Don't care. Sengun is my new bff.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Seems like you may have a comprehension issue which would make some sense. Not unlike your "snowflakes and panties" comment I would think the subject of the meme might be what irks you the most which is fine. To each his own. Be well.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No he has more attributes than that. He has advanced footwork for his age when it comes to creating separation for a jump shot. He also isn't just athletic in terms of jumping high. A lot of players can jump high. He is extremely balanced probably due to a strong core when doing things like trying to finish in the air. He also has an explosive first step.

8. dmoneybangbang

He's a scorer that you "simplified" into someone who "jumps and maybe shoots". You also made the leap of "The real answer is, Green is not that good, never was."

He scored from all 3 levels during the transition from high school to G League and was consistently a top prospect coming through high school. He also started off the G League poorly. Time will tell and I wouldn't mind him playing a 6th man role off the bench with Sengun.

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Don't smother him and make him suck.

10. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

That's not what was being said at all and you know it. The point I made was that its obvious that guys like Luka and Sengun wouldn't be as advanced as they are had they not each had multiple years of playing pro ball against very high level competition. Guys like Green haven't had near that type of experience against that level of competition (and no one-year of the G-league doesn't compare to 3-6 years in a high-level Euro league).

Sengun very well may be our franchise player in a few years. Green has that same opportunity. Neither may ever reach that level. We don't know. But nothing that you see right now will tell us that one way or another - we just have to wait.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You are aware that this whole trying to flip the narrative on your intolerance into you being the progressive one is beyond tired, right? Just makes you look like a ranting little incel in all honesty,

12. alethios

alethios Member

That's my concern as well. At one time we used to bring rookies along slowly including time in G-league and playing alongside veterans. Maybe we don't have that luxury now but throwing them into the deep end of the pool to see if they sink or swim while constantly getting dunked by the big kids risks turning them into busts and trade pieces.

Williamson likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Too late. Already snuffed him in the cradle before we even drafted him.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

My comprehension is fine. You ran out of arguments and resorted to posting memes. What am I missing?

15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but I expected more. If he is going to average 20ppg like some pundits projected, it´s a really slow start. Specifically on offense.

CXbby and DaDakota like this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wanna push back against all the posters talking about how it's unrealistic and/or stupid to expect Jalen to be good in his first year. This guy was described as a franchise altering player, it's not outrageous to expect him to be decent in his first year. Ja Morant averaged 18 and 7 his first year on 48/33/78 shooting splits. Luka averaged 21 and 6 on 43/33/71 shooting splits. There are rookies who come into the league and put up promising stats in their rookie years.

Declaring him a bust after 3 preseason games is obviously ridiculous, but if this same level of play from the preseason continues throughout his rookie year, we should be worried! Even for a rookie, it's pretty bad.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

His G league team was awful and got blown out on a nightly basis, and he didn't even dominate on that team. His production was nothing special, Sengun had vastly better numbers in a much better league. This is what I meant by he was never that good, his objective production. It's not meant as an insult, because his production was never what he got drafted on, it was his potential, someone who can jump and maybe shoot like Stone said(not sure why you guys are taking it as a knock).

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree with that. But based on three games we can see certain strengths and weaknesses, and make certain postulations on what needs to happen for each player to become great. Fact is that Sengun is further ahead and fact is that Green has some red flags.

What I have seen in this thread is that people who point these red flags are getting called names. @peleincubus managed to use "dweebs", "losers" together with body shaming and accusations of racism, just exquisite Internet discourse... Others used "delusional", "casuals", etc... I was called "tragic person", "asinine", etc...

There is something going on here. Are people too invested in Jalen Green emotionally to react like that? Is there another cult forming here?

Crashlanded19 and CXbby like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

I thought I covered that with "maybe shoot", yes there are different types of shots that he can maybe do.

I'll give you the first step, yes that does look good. Although on the other hand he has gotten stuffed at the rim way more times than I would like my athletic freak to be blocked.

20. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

This is dumb. Go listen to any great player talk about how tough it is to make that jump to the NBA. How it's difficult it is to know what you're doing until the game starts to slow down for you. Regardless of your physical tools, the speed & complexity of the game is the most difficult thing to grasp and has rippling effects throughout a player's game.

We're honestly talking about a 19-year old (who hasn't even grown into his body yet or undergone proper NBA-level strength & conditioning) three games into preseason. Ya'll can be critical of his current performance (though I don't see why that would be useful, given the sample size), but to try to extrapolate anything about Jalen Green's future at this point reveals more about you than Jalen Green. Either you wanted Mobley, or you don't like Green's attitude, or you're simply an irrational & overreactive person.

If ya'll wanna start whining about Jalen Green's performance & skill set 30 games into the regular season, you'd still be massively jumping the gun, but it's a conversation that could be worth having. But right now you just look silly.

#160 ElDobleK, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021