1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Did the Rockets somehow get that detail tucked into that story to further woo Simmons? Obviously now we are building it around Green/KPJ/Sengun and maybe Wood. While that tidbit is relevant, it seems placed.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I haven't seen anyone in the Rockets organization make any comment on the subject , just a bunch of speculation , mainly because it's one of , if not the only deal that accommodates Wall's desire to move ....

If the price weren't Wall And 3 or more picks ..... I might be more open to it.

If He'd commit to playing the 4 instead if the point .... I'd be much more open to it.

3. swakid8

swakid8 Member

That’s funny, learn the game eh. I think you should follow your own advice.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If I'm the sixers I'd rather have D. Russell vs Wall but who knows...

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

How about Wall for Kyrie. I mean I definitely don't want that knucklehead on this team but it would be funny to throw Wall back with Harden!

Jontro and peleincubus like this.
  8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I thought building a team around Simmons would be kind of interesting when we were evaluating Harden trades but I don’t know why anyone would want to dedicate themselves to that process after the Hawks series other than a team like San Antonio that has no player on the roster with top 20 player potential.

This Klutch PR piece on the Ringer makes me want Simmons even less. I want to see accountability and a willingness to do whatever it takes to fit in on a good team. “I need my own team” as their explanation for what went wrong doesn’t seem like it will end up going well with him and how he seems to be wired.

Why do you guys think that line about the Rockets came from us rather than Klutch?

roslolian and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he really said "I need my own team", that's the best thing I have ever heard out of him, tbh.

I am more scared about him being a soft and lazy video gamer cashing max checks.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Pretty happy overall to see the vote at 90/10, that’s a pretty good look for rockets fans intelligence. Was really disappointed when the philly vs nets package was 50/50 on the forum but seems people are smartening up!

roslolian likes this.
  11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best posts I've seen on the topic. This is exactly why I feel trading Wood is the way to go. Also, if I could, I would trade KPJ as well. KPJ is less likely, as they are trying to build a brand as team that takes care of their players, but KPJ is on the same timeline as Wall, Wood and Gordon. Enough cap space, coupled with one star can mean going from a poor team to a championship contender in one off season.

I look at the Celtics Big 3 as the blue print, and even more recently the Suns and Clippers when they got CP3. Let's also not forget the Heat, when they signed Bosh and Lebron. Or you may have the problem OKC did, trying to decide which homegrown talents to max while receiving assets for the castaways.

The time to stack assets is NOW. If we become competitive again, we all know that Tilman won't be buying 2nd round picks or going into the LT. Other GM's have owners that realize when you have top tier team, it's time to pay the tax. That won't be the case with Tilman. You'll see us start giving away assets to stay under the tax every trade deadline and letting play exceptions expire. While we are far away from the luxury tax now, we need to hoard as many assets as possible to still be able to put the finishing touches on a contender. A great example was Mil wasn't afraid to trade their first rounder this season for Tucker, just to slightly get better. Teams still need assets, even seemingly complete contenders.

12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I get that POV and would have loved to hear that back when the Rockets were evaluating trade options for Harden but it seems like deflecting to me at this point. You don’t need your own team to take at least one shot in 4th quarters.

#612 ChillyPete32, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Tweets from sauces…

Corrosion likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

It just reeks of “this is how I am going to play, so you need to build around that”.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Either the drugs have gotten a lot strong or or the air pollution much worse in H-Town, because that was a lot of silliness that was just puffed out. Let’s unpack this shall we?

You say that we would be similar to Curry, Klay, and Dray to which I simply ask “…WTF HOW?!?” Outside of them being basketball players in the NBA and the tall one being good at D, they are not similar in the slightest. Simmons needs/wants unclogged lanes meaning he wants to play with shooters around him. Neither KPJ or Green are shooters; KPJ is below average and Green has been average at best. Curry and Klay on the other hand are both TRANSCENDENTAL shooters. Our best shooters are Brooks and Wood, of which only Wood is a sure bet of actually staying on the team. Additionally, both KPJ and Simmons operate best when the ball in their hands. How are we anywhere remotely similar to the GSW trio again?!?

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The tweet about Simmons possibly having a Giannis roll is absolutely moronic. First and foremost, Giannis is an elite athlete that single-handedly carry his team in crunch time, scoring 40+ points in the finals. He may not be a great three-point shooter but he darn sure isn't afraid to take shots. Not to mention, he's a do-it-all-type of player that rebounds, passes, plays great defense, runs the floor, blocks shots, and scores from anywhere on the court including the occasional 3-pointer.

Simmons, on the other hand, isn't even in the same league when it comes to scoring. He's afraid to shoot when the team needs him to score, can't shoot 3's to save his life, and doesn't have a great low post game. He's athletic, I'll give him that, but he's nowhere near the athlete of Giannis when it comes to playing above the rim.

hakeem94, clos4life and YOLO like this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Giannis Antetekounmpo is more of a Bulldog mentality.

Ben Simmons is a Half Hearted Player if he doesn't get his way.

Ben is really Jealous of Joel Embiid and he doesn't fit on any team, because he can't shoot lefthanded, he is naturally a right handed player.

His Father honestly I think messed up Ben Simmons Psychologically forcing Ben to shoot lefthanded. Ben can't trust his left hand whatsoever because he isn't naturally lefthanded.

He literally writes Autographs with his right hand, and in critical layup opportunities he trusts his right hand.

Nobody is getting through to Ben to Shoot Right Handed. Ben honestly ignores everybody and does his own Thing.

RocketOrg, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Look the one who would know Simmons best are Philly fans. It aint Rocket fans who saw him make an Allstar team and think he is Dennis Rodman but not crazy and 6'11 and athletic.

Here is a really good breakdown of tape on Simmons by a Sixers fan, it tells you why he isnt that good. People who think he will be our Draymond Green or Dennis Rodman stop it you dont know Simmons you havent been watching him on the daily like Sixers fans.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes!
    and we could also perhaps bring Melo back to Houston, we got nothing to lose, if he doesnt fit we can just cut him!

luckyman76 and Corrosion like this.
  20. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

I watch this and I blame coaching. Yes Simmons could be more aggressive but just seems like he didn’t know what to do off ball and out of his position. Which too me that’s less disinterest and more coaching failure.

If we trade for him then I believe Silas and the coaching staff would be able to help him succeed more than his current and previous coaches. I’m not a fan of Doc.

If we don’t trade for him then cool.

My preference: trade for him
    Why? Because we are a rebuilding team and can make gambles like this. We need to start winning and look capable of winning in order to get FAs to want to come here. We have to at least try to get him and see where things go. Like I said, I believe in Silas.

D-rock likes this.