1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"If you're shopping for the holidays, start now"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wasn't there a thread about it being too soon for Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations?

www.cbsnews.com /news/holiday-shopping-shipping-delays-supply-chain-post-los-angeles/
    Supply chain issues worsen as California ports face record backlog: "If you're shopping for the holidays, start now"

A backlog of cargo ships waiting to get into the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are helping drive up the cost of goods and services during the pandemic. A record 70 cargo ships — carrying everything from furniture and electronics to toys — are facing delays at the ports, which handle 40% of the nation's imports.

The backlog is likely to inject more chaos into the holiday shopping season.

Shipping traffic is up 50% from pre-pandemic levels, Port of Los Angeles director Gene Seroka said. "The American consumer's buying strength is so strong and epic that we can't absorb all this cargo into the domestic supply chain," Seroka said. "That means you're not going to find the product you want as quickly as normal. If you're shopping for the holidays, start now."

A shortage of trucks and drivers to transport the goods from the ports is adding to the concern that some store shelves may be empty during the holiday shopping season.

"There are really on average about 16 available truckload shipments for every available truck to move product out of there," said Bob Biesterfeld, the CEO of shipping logistics company C.H. Robinson.

He said major retailers are paying for planes to fly in goods from overseas and some are chartering entire container ships.

"That's something that, frankly, we've just never seen before," Biesterfeld said. "We expect there will be more bare shelves for the holiday season this year than people may be accustomed to."

Tony Jabuka, owner of The Bike Palace in San Pedro, is still waiting on the 100 new bikes he ordered last year after buyers wiped out his inventory.

"I imagine some of them are on the ships right out here in San Pedro," he said. "It is frustrating because you can look down into the harbor and see all the containers that are stacked five or six high."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This has been on-going for months. Now Costco is back to limiting toilet paper and other essential items for the same reason. Damn the gifts -- save the toilet paper!

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

So you're telling me that I can potentially pull off giving pine tree air fresheners, tire patch kits and Olde English as Xmas gifts this year?

Nook, heypartner and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

rising logistic costs and port congestion has been happening for a while now globally. just another item on the basket for governments to fix.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Holy shet Jontro made a serious post

[​IMG]

We'll cherish it forever

jiggyfly, Nook, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A bet there are talks in truck-stop diners about needing to get vaccinated to capture that demand for drivers, and how independent vaxx’d drivers are raising their prices and raking it in. :)

#7 heypartner, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  8. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Supplies of PS5s and GPUs aren't getting any better, and the resale prices are already rising.

Can't imagine how they'll look in November/December.

CCity Zero and Andre0087 like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I might just buy a gpu from a scalper so I can sell my 1080 for more than I paid for it... I've randomly seen some not priced to the newer market values, but it's going to get worse from here for sure. I am wondering if at some point if there's a surplus it'll cause a mini/flash crash from a surplus but that won't be for a few years at this rate.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nothing new to see here for the educated. Good message for the plebs, though.

On that note, I'm going to build a computer for my oldest and may buy a case of video cards (not sure what yet, something powerful). I have a business account with a company that sells them street price, about half of the reseller rate. That way I don't have to camp out at Best Buy or pay double. If I do buy, I will some on to my CF brethren at my cost.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Automotive dealerships are our primary clientele. The combined shortages + demand shock is insane. That being said I heard a lot of cars on sitting on ports / warehouses / etc. without the chips so I guess the effects don't stack up for now lol.

12. Invisible Fan

That's Jontro's roundabout way of saying the supply chain is getting double stuffed.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was in Huntington Beach last week and saw the line of ships off shore, all waiting to get to Long Beach.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I gotta think there's some sort of @swedish-olajuwon type scenario going on where the nephew seized control of his computer temporarily

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

From my understanding, Jontro is a very wise and successful business person IRL, but here he's just 13 and sticky.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, Nook, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lemme guess, he owns a p*rn shop

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've heard he's the president of Japan but I'm not 100% sure, you have to send him a PM w/nudes or something to find out.

18. Buck Turgidson

Next to a landscaping company.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

external-content.duckduckgo-1.gif

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Ain't nothin wrong with flashin your pudding pop here and there