1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading Jalen Green SL performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Aug 13, 2021.

?

Grade his performance.

1. A

72.2%
  2. B

24.9%
  3. C

1.4%
  4. D

0.4%
  5. F

1.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

remember when some sucker said Joe Chee should start and guard Kevin Durant after this

Roomba, PuzzledFan and Williamson like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was at summer league the last 3-4 years and told you guys the truth.
    all those dudes morey drafted sucked.

but these dudes here are real.

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

between B and A.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen is a special player, he can average 17 to 20 points a game. This is why we need Gordon and Wall this season, because when defense are swarming on Wall, Gordon and Porter...Jalen is going to left open or a easy one-on-one play. Our rookies are exciting. Most teams that lose their STAR player it takes at least 3 good DRAFTS. In those three drafts, you are hoping for a Superstar, Star Player and another star player or borderline star.
    Oklahoma drafted Durant, Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Harden in 3 years....Atlanta in 3 years draft John Collins, Trae Young, DeAndre Hunter and got lucky with Capela(thanks rockets).....Phoenix drafted Devin Booker, Jackson, Bridges and Deandre Ayton and Chris Paul dropped in their lap in three years. Rockets have their Superstar and two Stars in a 1 year and a half:

SUPERSTARS: Jalen Green
    Star: Kevin Porter
    Star: Apleren Sengun
    Star: Christian Wood
    Solid Role Players: Tate, Garuba and Martin

Waiting...For that free agents to sign with us.......next year

MarioKissoDeath and csnerd84 like this.
  5. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Yessir

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

His floor is Devon Booker.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He was as advertised. Great shooter, very athletic, creates his own shot, draws fouls, and hits 3s at an elite %.

I also saw a few great passes and some real effort and pride on defense.

Needs to tighten up his handle and work on overcoming traps and double teams. He didn’t seem comfortable in pnr or being the primary playmaker.

He’s 19 and still has work to do. But that shot of his is as pure as I can remember and with his athleticism and work ethic he could be considered the best shooting guard in the league within a few years. He will likely never be a pure playmaker but after years of whining about one ball and how to keep Harden/CP3, Harden/WB productive I’m happy to have a pure 2 guard.

Right now I think he becomes Devin Booker with a chance to be even better if he gains more playmaking, defense, etc.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He would be a more athletic Booker as Booker never had the athleticism of Booker.

#28 fchowd0311, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    i3artow i3aller and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

he had some very bad turnovers that made me question is Bball IQ but then I realized I was judging him as if he was James Harden and not a 19 y/o.

love this kid, everything about him. I believe in him. I think he will put in the work to better every facet of his game.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

After watching all the top ranked rookies, at this point, there’s no one I’d take over him. He outperformed every rookie IMO. How do you not grade that an A?

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

B+
    He was frazzled by the OKC double teams early but overcame. I like the way he moved without the ball sometimes coming off screen. Fresh change from JH13 pounding the ball into the court. He has room to grow and can cut down on some careless passes but for a summer league debut he was better than I expected. The future is bright with him, Sengun and the other young players still on the roster and the other draftees.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@Williamson wakes up after fainting to realize he's a Jalen Only Fan because he saw 'the vision'.

Edit: Someone tell @VooDooPope we didn't play OKC.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A+++++. Only thing that disappointed me is he didn’t dunk on Mobley.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No idea how you could expect much more.

15. Kmoney247

Kmoney247 Member

His defensive ratings for each game was really good and you saw it on tape. Idk where this defensive narrative stuff is coming from

16. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here are the per 36 minute stats from notable summer league players:

James Harden: 18.6 PPG, 4.2 AST, 3.8 REB, 47.6% FG, 35.3% 3P (5.4 attempts), 85.7% FT, 3 Games Played
    Jayson Tatum: 20 PPG, 1.1 AST, 9 REB, 42.2% FG, 66.7% 3P (1.1 attempts), 86.7% FT, 3 Games Played
    Devin Booker: 20.5 PPG, 3.2 AST, 5.7 REB, 42.% FG, 45% 3P (5.2 attempts), 79.5% FT, 9 Games Played
    Donovan Mitchell: 30.5 PPG, 1.6 AST, 2.7 REB, 36% FG, 27.3% 3P (12 attempts), 87.5% FT, 2 Games Played
    Bradley Beal: 20.6 PPG, 2.1 AST, 5.4 REB, 41.8% FG, 30% 3P (4.7 attempts), 72.2% FT, 5 Games Played
    Klay Thompson: 25 PPG, 5.5 AST, 7.3 REB, 51.9% FG, 71.4% 3P (8.5 attempts), 75% FT, 2 Games Played
    Stephen Curry: 18.7 PPG, 4.5 AST, 4.9 REB, 32.5% FG, 34.5% 3P (6.2 attempts), 89.3% FT, 5 Games Played
    Jalen Green: 30.4 PPG, 3 AST, 6.5 REB, 51.4% FG, 52.6% 3P (9.5 attempts), 92.9% FT, 3 Games Played

Is it okay for us to start having unrealistic expectations?

Deuce, 13 in 33, joshuaao and 12 others like this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Solid B to B+ (I missed the last game)

No one can draw any definitive conclusions from the full 2 game obviously. I'm grading on expectations amongst his peers and where he should rank when compared to them. To get an A he would have to have 2 games where it's clear he dominated. He is the 2nd pick in a loaded NBA draft, so that would be my ambitious expectation to get an A. He stood out and often times was the best player on the court (even drawing double teams!), but he didn't dominate.

Ranking the components:
    • Shooting: A++
      • 70+ TS% is amazing. It's always been clear he can create for himself, but one of his weaknesses going into the GLeague was shooting on off ball plays. These 2 games it didn't matter how the shot originated, it was money
    • Ability to attack the basket: A-
      • Once he gets that first step past you, it's over. There were multiple times he would weave through 2-4 players for a lay up or draw a foul
      • He would get an A+ here if he weren't so reckless. He has a lot of body control, but has moments where he decides before he goes up what he wants to do.
    • Play Making Ability/Decision Making: C-
      • When he is playing the 2 man game, he has some nice passes and I'd grade those plays a B to B+. It's the third read where he struggles to make the right play. This isn't concerning because this truly can come with reps... especially if the defense continuously begins to collapse on him
      • He struggled handling the double team so I'm putting this into the play making category. The good news is he adapted within the game and started making quick reads. For a guy his body frame he needs to make quick reads or be able to completely avoid the double team with his quickness. I'd prefer the first option since that wears a defense out quicker
    • Defense: C
      • On ball, he wasn't horrible and even had some positive outcomes. His effort was there and as he puts on more weight I think some of his on ball deficiencies goes away. This is mostly up to him
      • Off ball, I really didn't pay that much attention because usually I was watching JC on D haha
    • Ability to play within the offense: A
      • Jalen didn't grab the ball and just dominate it. He isn't that kind of player to begin with. Despite that, he still had gravity. He is the type of player that will get easy assist just because the defense gives him more attention and helps more on him.
      • Green played great and didn't limit JC or Sengun from showing up either. It felt like he made the times when he had the ball count
    • "It" Factor: A+
      • He has that "it" factor to me. There's going to be a lot of people that love watching him play. There's a lot of NBA players who will like to play with him. There's a mentality that he has that says he believes in himself and wants to be great, but understands he has a lot of work to get there
    • Athleticism: A
      • It really wasn't on full display these two games, but it's there. If this were my first 2 games watching him, this grade would be a B just on his quick first step, so this grade is based also on G League
    Overall, he gets a B to B+. I still think he will be a top player in this league and not only will be a star but a superstar IF he can tighten his handle, make quicker decisions on double teams, learn the third read better, and improve his size and defense. Even though defense needs to improve, the difference between him learning how to create plays for others will likely decide whether he is a top 25 player or a multi-year MVP in his career.

Edit: Btw, even though I gave him a B to B+ I feel even stronger that we made the right pick.

Deuce, alethios, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I honestly want to see video of Jalen Green vs Kevin Porter Jr. going against each other one on one. That is one the best matchups. Also I am curious who is faster Jalen Green or Kevin Porter Jr.

Jalen and Kevin will push each other to be Great Players.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

There were several times I felt he got either beat off of the dribble, the off ball slash, or someone (mostly Cade) dribbled through him and then Sengun cleaned it up. His defense wasn't some horrible thing... just not his strength at this point

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I’ll give him a B. I thought he made mistakes that he was supposed to make and shot the ball incredibly well.

It looked to me like he had difficulty beating his man 1v1. I noticed the same thing watching ignite games. I don’t know if it was because he was thinking too much or what, but everyone talks about his ease of getting to the rim, and I haven’t seen it yet. They also talk about how his shot needs to catch up to his drives, but from what I have seen, it’s the other way around.

I think it is great that he can make difficult jumpers, but I need to see more driving and ball handling proficiency.

amaru likes this.