1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2021 Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rashmon, Aug 9, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not directed at you.

But comparing Sengun to Scola was a bit of a stretch, the DMo comparisons are just whack.

DMo may have been legit 7 foot but his arms were short AF.

DMo only dreams of 4 blocks/game, let alone 2 consecutive games of 4 blocks.

In 6 NBA seasons, 0.5 blocks was his career HIGH.

DMo never averaged even a whole block for a single season.

And let's not talk about his problems rebounding and at FT (career average of 59% - pathetic).

Tfor3, JeffB, vlaurelio and 4 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho he did work out in houston...he was ok player even after the injury until the incident with the contract... he was a valuable contributor

3. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Just to be 100% clear, I love Clutch takes. He's been right about so many other prospects in the past. Even when he's wrong, I love he's got his reasons for his takes (instead of just agreeing with whatever media says), so reasonable and self-deprecating. I mean every podcast starts with how he wanted Harold Miner over Robert Horry lol

4. rocketseagles07

It’s not when you consider Cade’s size and strength. Luka doesn’t have a quick first step either. You don’t have to be as quick with that build.

So far Jalen is a much better shooter and not as quick off the dribble as I thought. That’s after 2 games… which again could be wrong

saleem likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rotation player at his best.

Journeyman.

Rockets became contenders when Capela developed.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

LAS VEGAS — The highlights came predictably, though sensationally as usual.

With every eye in Thomas & Mack Center on Cleveland’s celebrated Evan Mobley and the ball reaching him high above the rim, Mobley had moved in for the most spectacular of slams only to have second-year Rockets forward K.J. Martin rise to meet him and send the ball flying the other way.

A game later, while the attention focused on teammate Jalen Green and the Pistons’ Cade Cunningham, Martin took a pass from Green and darted down the lane, where he elevated to spike home his two-handed slam.

Yet remarkable as those television-friendly moments were, Martin has shown all that before. Mobley, at 7-foot, did not bring Martin even close to the heights he has climbed to reject attempts from NBA big men unaccustomed to having a 6-6 forward meet them in their airspace.

And none of that represented Martin’s goal for his first summer league or the moments that drew praise for progress.

“His focus on defense and applying his athleticism and intellect and toughness toward being disruptive in a framework that his teammates can predict, that’s a huge goal of this experience for him,” said Rockets assistant Will Weaver, who is coaching Houston’s summer league team. “Guarding multiple positions, being on the perimeter more, the defensive side is where his focus is and where our focus is with him.

“As so often is the case, when you’re worried about that stuff, all of a sudden, you’re nailing catch-and-shoot 3s, dribble-and-kick to a teammate on time and on the money. It’s lovely to see his skill showcased, but the defensive side of the ball is where he is succeeding.”

The blocked shots Martin has collected on the NBA’s tallest players — Tacko Fall, Kristaps Porzingis, Boban Marjanovic, Rudy Gobert — were not examples of the sort of defensive strides the Rockets have sought. Remarkable as they were, those are moments. The potential to be realized is in possession-after-possession understanding, execution and communication.

In those areas, Weaver said, Martin has “improved by leaps and bounds at a nuclear rate.”

That is the point of summer league. But when Martin was a rookie, there was no summer league because of the pandemic. He was thrown in as a 19-year-old with an abbreviated training camp and went through a stint in the G League. After playing limited minutes in seven games in the season’s first half, he returned from the G League bubble to play extensively when injuries washed over the Rockets’ roster.

His play in Las Vegas offers a chance to apply what he learned, take the next step, and see what he was missing last summer.

“Having last year under my belt and coming in, being able to work on my game with the new guys has been fun,” Martin said. “Some of the stuff I’ll be doing I’m able to implement in summer league.

“I had conversations with all the staff. They want me to be able to guard multiple positions. So whatever they need me to do, whether it’s guarding the big or switching on a smaller dude, I’m fine with it.”

At 20 years old, Martin said part of his summer job is to “be a leader,” something not expected of him as a teenaged rookie. He has played against Green and Josh Christopher since he was in 10th grade and has sought to share the benefits of his experience not just with the Rockets last season but in a lifetime in NBA gyms around his father, Kenyon Martin.

“They believe in me, and they trust me, so I’m just here to help them throughout this whole journey,” Martin said. “They expect it, and they tell me when I’m wrong, too. We all have a good understanding, a good vibe off the court, so it helps us on the court.”

After slow starts offensively, Martin has finished well in each of the first two games. He had 16 points against the Pistons on Tuesday after scoring 17 against the Cavaliers. He has made 13 of 27 shots, including five of 12 3-pointers, in his first summer league games.

He has also looked at ease on the floor, showing the benefits of his 38 games after the All-Star break.

“It helped a lot,” Martin said. “Just going out every night and playing against the best players in the world, what more can you ask for? Going out, competing, learning on the fly — I think that’s helped me a lot this past year.”

He is still learning. But as his voice echoes in Thomas & Mack while he calls out defenses — switching and swarming along the way — the strides he has made are evident. As with the Rockets as a whole, there were growing pains last season. For Martin, benefits could be showing not just in the big plays but in the little things.

“Games are the best practice,” Weaver said. “That’s why summer league exists. Otherwise, we’d just be in our gym practicing against each other. For him to be able to read his teammates, communicate with his teammates, see the things he’s seen on film play out slower than the last time they happened and feel the positive cycle with his preparation and able to execute, that is part and parcel with getting better.”

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read this as "future starting SF" with Usman and Sengun slaughtering goats under the basket.

9. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

AND YET Context is everything...way to wait till the very end of the game to hv this statemnt..lame ass

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

@ElPigto this is what I meant about DMo being a bad comp.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he would be a valuable contributor vs gsw... a playmaking big? another playmaker alongside harden? team oriented hustling big, a great passer, a decent 3pt shooter? decent on defense and a plus on offense.... even MDA could of used him let alone some more flexible coach

jrue holiday is a journeyman, bobby portis, pj tucker, all valuable contributors towards title

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clutch and Alykhan Bijani wanted Evan Mobley.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alperen Sengun similar traits and skills

Hakeem Olajuwon - Post Up Skills that's it

Kevin McHale Came off the Bench a 6th, Hall of Famer

Arvydis Sabonis
    Domantas Sabonis
    Nikola Jokic
    Luis Scola
    Donatas Montiejunas
    Yao Ming - showed it at times

Post Up Spin Moves Skills are Hakeem, McHale Scola, Donatas.

Physical Traits Nikola Vucecic, Alperen using his big body to move Centers and get a Rebound.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jrue Holiday is All Star caliber player.

And a starter.

DMo was not a starter. On any NBA team.

Not bashing Motiejunas, I liked him but he overrated himself and found himself bounced off the Rockets and entire NBA for years.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Comparing McHale to Motiejunas is ridiculous.

And even putting his name in same sentence as Olajuwon is blasphemy.

#835 D-rock, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Dobbizzle and BossHogg713 like this.
  16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The CBA loves DMO : )

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Seriously, why do people rate Dmo so highly? He genuinely was not remotely starter tier, or 6th man tier. Low minute bench fodder, that was his actual ceiling. It's insane to me that so many people here will call guys like Westbrook and Wall trash, but then turn around and revere Dmo and Hartenstein like they're HOF elite quality talent.

don grahamleone, D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do people just recently become Rocket fans and look at his career stats on Basketball Reference and say stupid **** like this?

DMo in 2014-2015 was 23-24 years of age. That's typically when big men "figure it out". That season he was by far the Rockets second best scoring option on a team that won 55 games. He was a legit threat and was coming into his own as a NBA player. Then he had his back injuries that season before the playoffs which derailed his career trajectory. When people are referring to DMo, they are referring to that season where he finally figured it out before his career derailing injury.

So ya, if he wasn't injured, he would have had a long career in the NBA.

ElPigto likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I was not saying Alperen is those players, I think his spin moves and up and under pump fakes etc.

Reminds me of those players who perfected those moves.

Alperen Sengun is a Great Young Talent.

No one should be compared to Alperen. Only Alperen himself.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL