1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2021 Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rashmon, Aug 9, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not sure what I'm going to do if Garbua shows out whenever we play him.

2. ballgame

ballgame Member

He really didnt shoot bad. I thought he was efficent

3. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

All my thoughts exactly. Green needs to get stronger as well.

D-rock, DeBeards, UTSA2step and 3 others like this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

with you in sengun

if giving 30 min as a rookie im sure he would be able to get 10 rebounds and 2 blks a night with good big man defense for a rookie.

I think he’s going to be just fine on defense long term he tries hard and that’s a huge part in being good on D.

offensively he’ll be really good by year 3.

he might end up being very expensive after his rookie deal is up lol.

hakeem94, BallaDoc, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sengun is a beast! He loves contact. He is going to shoot a lot of foul shots in his career.

Drift Monkey, Bo6, hakeem94 and 14 others like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

In the other thread. :D

7. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Sengun was pushing the ball up tbe court in a few possessions. Looked like a natural.

8. conquistador#11

I'm impressed with these kids as I'm that there are 37 pages and counting in a summer league game not pre season game, not regular season game, we talkin' bout summer league game.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Watching some of those early moments, it seems to me the Detroit really wanted to trap Green and force the ball out of his hand or make him make mistakes. Which he did to start the game.

They probably wanted to shut Green up with some of his comments about coming for everyone especially Detroit and help their guy out (Cade). And it worked.

Kinda funny and satisfying that once Green kinda figured how to pick his spots and swing the ball, Detroit lost their lead and the Rockets capitalized. And Green still had a better game than Cade lmao

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The owner better be saving up because the bill for all four will come due at the same time.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The (sen)-Goon Squad wants to know

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and DeBeards like this.
  12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

How is 25pts on 11 shots not a good shooting night? Green played well considering he was double teamed at half court many times in the game. He does need to work on tightening his handles and getting stronger or else he’ll have trouble creating his own shot against top tier NBA defenders. Other than that, he played well

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There’s another thread? Really? Go figure!

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and DreamShook like this.
  14. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

15. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Good lord. I can’t believe how awesome this draft was I mean Stone literally drafted what looks like an incredible team of 19 year olds. Garuba is going to be a defensive beast to add to these guys. When the 3 were out there along with KPJ we were easily the better team and that’s against a team that just got the first pick and has had years of first round drafting prior to this to add him to. I mean we have not even had a first round draft pick in god knows how long. How did this happen? Our young players are friggin studs!! This is unreal. I’m so Happy!!!!!!!!!

16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

17. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

18. elvis

elvis Member

Loved tonight’s game. Viva Las Vegas!!

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

My impressions are....

Sengun is still the crafty rookie who plays like a vet that we thought from the last game. I guess we did confirm that he isn't near as tragic defensively as people were painting him before the draft. He definitely plays below the rim, but he is a smart defender playing inside and makes plays just by playing within himself and not committing silly fouls. His offensive game is fantastic but he definitely is showing some tendencies like that baseline spin he works so hard to set up on the post.

Green had a quiet night but was super efficient. He still doesn't use screens very well which limit his options on the pick and roll but he is such a smooth scorer he still gets his points despite that glaring flaw. It feels like all of his shots are going to go in with that smooth stroke. It seemed like Weaver had JC doing more ball handling and playmaking in this game and that left Green to play off ball which was unfortunate because JC isn't a particularly attentive passer. Detroit was clearly trying to throw double and triple teams at Green though and to his credit, aside from the first few minutes of the game when Green was fired up playing aggressively (and turned it over a few times), Green composed himself and played a solid game mostly taking what the defense gave him and didn't force it(after those first few possessions of the game). Green got blocked a few times and gave some voice to those saying Green's release is too low. Also seems like Green needs to work on that handle a bit. Also worth noting that Green played mostly solid defense with my only big knock on him being that he is really bad at getting around screens. If I could nitpick one other thing it's that he sometimes ball watches a bit off ball on defense and can get exploited by smart cutters. He didn't pay for it this game, but I can see him get exploited this way in the NBA. Also not sure what is going on with the officiating but he definitely got mugged on more than one occasion and didn't get the call. It happened in the last game too - will be interesting to see if that continues to be a thing. He definitely needs to continue to get stronger to play through those hacks.

KJ Martin continues to show he has improved his shooting and that he can be a tough defender. I initially thought he was a tweener but he is starting to take the look of a guy who can guard 4 positions - at least against other team's second units. That may not sound exciting but being a decent bench/rotation guy is actually a big improvement for him and his athleticism means he may not have reached his ceiling yet.

....Christopher has had quite the rollercoaster so far in summer league. He was not particularly good in the first game and started off as the offensive initiator in half court sets to more bad ball hogging but after a shaky first few minutes of the game, he also settled down and mostly had a strong game doing a little of everything. His defense was mostly stellar - he plays aggressively on both sides of the ball which can be electric when it works, and maddedning when it doesn't. More than a few people noted he reminds them of Westbrook which I can totally see. I also see a little JR Smith and Lance Stephenson in him - they all got a bit of that loose cannon thing going but it worked in this game. You could see him rise to the occasion defending Cade and he seemed to do a better job looking for teammates as the game wore on - both positive signs of potential from him that we didn't necessarily get in the last game.

....also worth noting Cade was okay. You can definitely see why he was the top pick - he did a lot of things well and has a nice shooting stroke. I didn't necessarily see him impose himself on the game but he clearly has the type of talent that his floor is a future all star many times over. I'm not necessarily seeing him as a future superstar on the level of Doncic just yet though.

jcmoon, Rashmon, Drift Monkey and 7 others like this.
  20. WestendMassive

Seems like we need someone to step up with an [OFFICIAL] Summer League Game Day thread.

Who will save Clutchfans from the grave danger of having two Summer League threads?