1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen green can be special!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats a fair assessment. My concern with Cade is that the guy is not very athletic and thus is not getting into the lane. I dont even know the names of the guys defending him yesterday or if they will even make it in the NBA, but they were not allowing the #1 draft pick to go around or break down the defense. Everyone on that court was a professional and the days when Cade would just "will" his team to wins are over. He will need to modify his approach/attack quickly and settle in on what his strengths will be ie.. shooting, defense, passing. He just doesnt have the ISO game to save his team when needed. Sure, all that can get better and he could prove me wrong, but its all about that first step in the NBA and Cade just does not have it and I wonder if that is something he can get better at with practice?

GotGame15, bmelo, Omihall23 and 4 others like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

I agree. Harden wasn't ever the most athletic, but his first step was underrated, his handle was some of the best we've ever seen from a player his height, he was very cerebral playing at his own pace utilizing change of direction and speed, and on top of all that he was as strong as a freaking ox. Luka has also gotten by with less athleticism utilizing many of those same traits. Cade doesn't have that same strength, first step, or handle. He can work on his handle and hit the weight room, but there are just some things you can't teach or learn. They are innate. That's why he is giving me the D'Lo vibes. People were comparing Russell to Harden, Manu, Brandon Roy, and Penny Hardaway coming out. I'd be a little concerned if I were a Pistons fan especially after seemingly whiffing on Killian Hayes with the 7th pick last draft. I wandered over to one of their fan forums and several were concerned about what they saw. It wasn't just that he shot bad, he was getting locked up by nobodies and turning the ball over.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

James has/had one of the best first steps I've ever seen. For an ISO heavy team/player it is VITAL. Game theory has wandered in that direction more and more. 3&D/SmallBall Copycats have sprung up everywhere. Cade is somewhat old school. He can be a great floor general if he is surrounded with capable enough talent to allow his passing and IQ to shine, but if the team needs buckets the guy just cant go get them on his own right now. I think that WILL change only due to attrition and the known that he MUST be able to drive to the basket in some fashion for everything else to open up.

D-rock and vator like this.
  4. conquistador#11

Lebron scored 14 pts in his first summer league so Mobley only fans shouldn't be too bummed out.
    But I'm loving how Jalen can split defenders. He reminds me of young Clyde how he glides to the basket.

Rudyc281, D-rock and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harden combined his middle of the pack first step with the league's best deceleration and step back. It's kind of like following up the world's best changeup / curve with a mediocre fastball; gonna feel fast regardless.

YaoMing#1 and D-rock like this.
  6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Beware the uniformed dudes.
    [​IMG]

BonziWellsGOAT, Salvy and D-rock like this.
  7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

harden has been underrated in the athleticism for a while he shuttle times at the combine were the same as DWade he had a 37 inch vertical with 6’11 wingspan.

I agree with the handles and but the first step was their from his combine numbers.

If anyone needs a refresher go back and watch him in okc dunking on ppl left and right catch all oops even his 1st year in houston he still did some of that not as much tho.

he just bulked up big time as he got older and not in a bad way he was able to guard the post on almost all bigs.

really good rebounder first his size and position same with his ability to get blocks.

I think it’s hard to say anything about Cade because of 1 game in summer league. He’s got pretty good athleticism for someone 6’8 with his skill set his BBIQ is solid and he’s a good shooter and defender.

Noway he’s not a very good player. Is he luka? Prob not Luka is maybe the best player to enter the league since the harden curry draft.

I think he’s gonna be a solid solid 20-7-7 guy with good shooting numbers and good D if that’s his prime he’s a very very good player.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it interesting every other year that guys feel the need to predict the outcomes of a player.

Does it really validate one's ego if one is right? Not trying to pick a bone here, just really see it every year.

Just let it play out.

It will be an interesting ROY conversation for sure.

'Oh you should eat crow.......' 'I need to eat crow'

dkoune, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just going to blame autocorrect.

Salvy likes this.
  10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i think it’s an easy quick way to see what u think of a guys prime. Me personally I think he was the clear number one prospect in the draft now and will be a good player.

I don’t get the bashing of the guy because we got Green and he had a nice game and Cade’s wasn’t the best.

I think if the Rockets had the first pick they take Cade.

Rookie of the year will interesting this year could be Suggs could be a few players.

I’m curious to see how many minutes and what kind of Green light no pun intended Green gets this year because we have so many guards that have to play if healthy when u include kpj wall and Gordon. I think Cade will be given the rock to do whatever he wants from game 1.

this is a cool draft class I liked the big three a lot I think Mobley is going to be really really good.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

I had a deep dive conversation with myself after yesterdays game. I tried to see this from all sides. From the Rockets FO, fans and from the players. Here is what the conclusion was:

If they trot out a starting lineup of Wall, EG, House, Wood, Theis...we should RIOT!

I looked at it from a player development standpoint, leadership standpoint and simple PT view and yeah no...that can't happen!

House gotta go, he's truly an odd man out. I would hate but understand this: Wall, KPJ, Tate, Wood, Theis. This gives time for Green to get his feet wet in the NBA initially coming off the bench with EG.

But it better quickly become: KPJ, Green, Tate, Wood, Theis

dkoune likes this.
  12. photojoe

photojoe Member

These dudes are 19/20 years old. We've seen them play one game that didn't even matter. When players are that young, it's not just about what all they've done in college or G League, but also how much they will grow and develop over the next several years before we start to see who will become the superstar, face of the league kind of guys.

Steph was drafted 7. Kawhi and Giannis were drafted 15. Jokic was drafted 41.
    Meanwhile, guys like Michael Carter Williams and Tyreke Evans won rookie of the year, then didn't really pan out much in their careers after that.

I'm excited about the amount of young potential the Rockets have been able to add in one season, and about Green in particular. Being excited about the team is way more than I could have said yesterday. With that said, it's going to take time to see how they develop, grow and mature before we start making these kinds of statements about superstars and face of the league kind of guys

D-rock likes this.
  13. csc177

csc177 Member

I think ppl forget just how strong dude was. His first step wasn’t “that” quick, but once he got you on his hip, it’ was over because you couldn’t knock him off of his path. Harden was strong AF.

AI had a quick first step and is probably one of the fastest I’ve seen. Ironically JG reminds me of AI with his thin frame and explosiveness.

D-rock and Rocketeer like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. Rockets4Life13

He was compared to Luka Doncic while he has nothing in his bag that makes Luka, Luka.
    He has neither the skill nor the strength Luka possesses. The only thing they have in common is their height at their position (Luka is 6'7 AFAIK)

I've never been high on Cade and a lot of the stuff i thought would hold him back were on full display last night.
    Of course it's stupid to overreact to one game. But it's not the shooting that concerned me, it's everything you mentioned.
    Great post.

vator likes this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why are people suggesting that Green start the season as EG's replacement as 6th man ? That's counterproductive IMO to this young man's potential... Those same people are saying he should work on involving his teammates... Since when has a 6th man( especially in today's nba) truly involved his teammates? It'd be way more pressure on him to score efficiently as a young 6th man on a young team, than being in the starting 5... Let he and the Rockets find his footing... He's the star now... KPJ is a great compliment ..

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think for a career, 20 ppg is easily achievable even if they usher in anti scoring rules/irregular motion rules.

He probably starts off with 15-17 ppg.

18. kiwirocketsfan

Longer, calmer AI was my preferred reference pre-draft.

He has that explosion, instinct and charisma.

csc177 likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Jalen was exciting and his after game interview was really nice. He sounds professional and composed. He sounds mature for his age. And he sounds like he will develop into a leader one day. You can hear it in his voice and see it on his face. He has all the qualities to have a damn strong NBA career.

Rudyc281 and dkoune like this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I was Green gang from day 1 and I am so happy we got him. #2 was blessing in disguise. Cade looks special too but Green has that old school vibe to him I was talking to my friends for years that NBA lacks. Now there's couple of young cats with it Ja Morant, Green, Zion, LaMelo