1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Getting Down to the wire, what would you prefer we do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 17, 2021.

?

Here's your options, purely as a Rox fan which 2 choices are your preference?

1. Stay at #2 Draft J. Green

2. Stay at #2 Draft E. Mobley

3. Stay at #2 Draft J. Suggs

4. Trade up to #1 Draft C. Cade (No matter the cost)

5. Trade down to #3 or #4 for additional draft capital in coming years

6. Trade #2 plus other assets for a young star (e.g. Kat)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Plowman likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This was a really good read. Of course, it helps that he agrees with me that Mobley should be the pick if we can’t get Cade. Other than Cade, I don’t think any of the 5 would have an immediate impact in terms of making us a good basketball team. We really need to hold on to our pick next year.

BigShasta, csnerd84 and Shark44 like this.
  3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I bring an unbiased perspective here since I've really seen none of the players involved play-- outside of highlights. That frees me up bigtime!

1. If Cunningham stands that much apart, Detroit is not budging so forget about it (unless they are fools).
    2. Staying put at 1-2, I'd go with Mobley
    3. Trade down from 1-2 and 1-24 with Orlando for 1-5 (Scottie Barnes), 1-8 (Josh Giddey), and 2-33 (Trey Murphy III)
    4. Trade EG for 1-13 (Jalen Johnson) and 2-35 (JT Thor)
    5. At 1-23 (C Isaiah Jackson)

4. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Whoa.

Thats 6 rookies in your 2nd scenario. To go with KPJ and KJ.. throw Tate in too i suppose and that's 9 players either 20 or younger or only have 1 year in the league.

Who are we the Thunder??

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I thought I heard somebody say "REBUILD!"

Yes, a bit fantastic, but I guess we can toss in any of our rostered players save the "untouchables" to make it work and free up a roster spot as well.

I tossed in the Gordon option because I think we don't need him at this point, but someone does. Trade him for those picks and maybe someone is in love with someone available at our 1-13 spot and offers us great future value for it.... so we keep it or take that same player!

In this scenario, aren't we just having younger (maybe better too) players replacing young players? Doesn't seem like that much of a setback.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

good one, glad he’s not automatically copying others that just accept Green as the 2nd pick. Drafts are not a sure thing. Hate how everyone assumes we need and will take Green. Cade at #1 or Mobley at #2 for me.

Plowman and Shark44 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was initially liking Mobley potentially even at #1, but gradually have begun to swing Green. I'll be happy with either player or if we trade up for Cade at a reasonable price. We're fortunate to have #2 in this draft, some really good options.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Leaning Mobley slightly, would be absolutely fine with Green. Cade as well if he would happen to fall to us, I just don't want us trading lots of assets for him.

Shark44 likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've officially changed my mind , was never really 100% on Gang Green .... I'd prefer they trade back to 4 (or 5&8) and get an unprotected pick in next years draft & I'm taking Scottie Barnes.

Staying put with Murphy & JT Thor at 23 & 24.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably have changed my mind again two or three times.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

5, 8, and package 23/24 and Gordon for 13. Barnes/Kuminga, Moody/Giddy, Sengun.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I chose trade down. Hopefully for a 2022 unprotected first.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

Realistically I am hoping for something along these line:

Rockets trade House and Bradley to NYK for Knox and picks #32 & #58. Houston has no need for either player and NYK could use vets with playoff experience on value contracts. Knox is a bust who will be given a look but is really only included so that NY maintains cap space to pursue impact free agents or trades.

#2: Jalen Green
    I am officially on the Green bandwagon now. I do think a downside with Green is that you now have to look at surrounding him with guys who profile as plus defenders whereas with Mobley you just go BPA. Regardless, Green is the pick and will hopefully be that guy on a contender sooner rather than later.

#23: Deuce McBride or Bones Hyland
    Combo guard that is a feisty defender. A rich man's Pat Beverly. Probably RGV bound until he is ready to supplant Khyri Thomas. I think a KPJ-Green-McBride guard rotation projects as pretty nasty to be honest. Would also consider Hyland here if McBride is gone though I think he is more SG than combo guard and isnt the on ball defender that McBride is.

#24: JT Thor or Kai Jones
    Hoping one of these guys is available. If both are gone then I turn my attention to Garuba or Jackson. Like the 2 way potential of Thor and Jones over the strictly defense of Garuba and Jackson. Regardless, Rockets grab a frontcourt player with one of these two picks to compliment Green and the other guard they are selecting.

#32: Charles Bassey
    Developmental player that will likely spend most of next season with RGV. Profiles as a Clint Capela type with a slightly better jumper. I think he he could be a nice final protege for Hakeem to work with strictly as a defender.

#58: Jericho Sims
    Another Viper for next season. Double dipping for defensive bigs as I think the Rockets sorely need size for rebounding and rim protection given where it appears they are heading. Bassey and Sims are low risk/high rewards types in the second that could easily be moved later if the Rockets make moves to acquire bigs via free agency or in future drafts.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really like your thinking Syd. One caveat is I would avoid Bones. I'd consider 2 long defensive players at 23/24, but I do like Deuce. I'd also look for a knockdown wing snipa with one of the 2nds, but wouldn't mind Bassey or uber athlete Sims.

sydmill likes this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really bizarre that Mobley wouldn't work out for #2 team, not a smart move, should always keep your options open. Wouldn't be ironic if DET does all this posturing for trading Cunningham and then takes Green at #1. I wouldn't want to look at gift horse in the mouth, but would suck that Cade wouldn't work out for anyone unless they owned the #1. Likely his agent played that card (at least I hope), because if he didn't, then the sheer arrogance is not something I'd want with our top player. In any case, I don't like guys not working out for my team dammit!

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

How about a radical thought. If you really believe Cade is super talent, trade up to 1 but don’t include 2.

Trade 23 and 24 along with 2 future unprotected FRPs.

Take Cade and Green or Mobley.

Hit me with your negativity. I’m ready!

csnerd84 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought draft night was tonight....****!!...it's like taking a 2 month ****!

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I would like the Rockets to go all in and draft Jalen Green at 2 and trade for Evan Mobley at 3. Use EG to potentially trade up package the 3 picks with other assets, not exactly sure which picks maybe the Washington pick, Detroit and JTate would get Cleveland to the table. May also have to take on the Colin Sexton burden of signing him or trading him down the road.

More of a pipe dream than a plan, but that's what I want. Oh by the way I also want Houston to stink this year so we can get Emoni Bates next year. Not at all realistic, but just wishful thinking

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

See if Toronto will trade up, we grab Suggs at 4 plus collect future assets :cool:

20. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Alperen Sengun, Jonathan Kuminga and Alex Atentokounpo!

#100 dfbreyes, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021