1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Championship teams of the last 2 decades rebuilt around Guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaiaguilar, Jul 15, 2021.

1. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

The point im trying to make is that the TREND is that teams that DRAFT great big man only end up trading them to a contender. It's anecdotal evidence but look at the history of great big man and their careers (I'm talking last two decades).

Championships are hardly ever won with the team that drafted them unless they were paired with HOF guards.

But that's it, it needs to go TOGETHER. And I'm talking about HOF level guards. Kobe, Pierce, Wade, Curry, Klay, Harden, Tmac.

Whereas you can build around Guards have an average team then trade for a KAT level bigman.

See Houston's Run (albeit unsuccessful), GSW, Heat, Boston, Lakers. They all started with generational guards, had average teams then became great with trades/signing of 2nd team GREAT big men.

In context we have the choice of 3 great players (maybe 4 if we can trade up) - all 1st overall level picks. 3 of them are guards. We're rebuilding from scratch. Your lying to yourselves if you think any of the players can be a HOF championship level player. We only have 1 shot at the top end of the draft.

I would go with Green as a better rebuilding strategy and based on the history of the league.

glimmertwins likes this.
  2. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

Your missing the point. The question is what should be the rockets draft strategy be so that we can effectively rebuild a championship level team.

Here's the hypothetical:

If you had the choice between two GREAT draft prospects a guard and a centre.

Your team doesn't have any players that you would say - 'your going to be the face of the franchise, your going to finish your career here and we're going to rebuild around you'

Who would you choose?

3. TimDuncanDonaut

A championship team needs a big and those who are shorter.

If we're talking about league coveted roles, it's more of 'wings' league than a guards one. Or rather guys that have a prototypical wing's height. Guys like Cade will play a guard, but at 6'8" he's got that wing's height which is why he's attractive.

Guards are important, but there are also so many.

(teams) To find good competent guards are not hard
    (players) to be the one of the good guards is hard. (because you have to stand out - among many)

#43 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    DrNuegebauer and roslolian like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol this is so dumb. You wanna look at past championships? Ok.

2020: Best player is Lebron
    2019: Best player is Kawhi
    2018: Best player is KD
    2017: best player is KD
    2016: Best player is Lebron

So what we can see here is SFs are the no 1 player in the last 5 years therefore the pick should be Scottie Barnes. Why are you bringing up Green? The last time SG was the best player to win a ring was Kobe right? His last ring was in 2010, 11 yrs ago. So OP you really shouldnt be taking Green we should be taking an SF like Scottie Barnes.

We cant deny looking in history SGs havent really done much...Joe Johnson, James Harden, Zach Lavin etc they havent won ****. Booker about to be destroyed by Giannis so...the only superstar SG to win a ring is Klay Thompson and he is a supporting character right? He isnt the foundational piece in a championship. Wade isnt a foundational piece either he is basically the Robin to Lebron.

What we have see is 6'8 sfs are the one who really win rings so we should pick Scottie Barnes instead because he is the 6'9 wing left on the board at 2. Thats what history says.

#44 roslolian, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    J.R., RKREBORN and CriscoKidd like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

What we have seen is big men still play a part in a championship team. What we have also seen is SG play more of a role player role doing just catch and shoot and defending rather than being the focal point of the offense. The 6'8 forward is the no 1 option rather the sg.

2020: Danny Green
    2019: Danny Green
    2018: Klay Thompson
    2017; Klay Thompson
    2016: Iman Shumpert/JR Smith

Like I said man, based on past history we should be taking Scottie Barnes.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Agree with you OP. KAT and Zion are next that will leave their team to join a perimeter star player elsewhere

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with you - been saying the same thing in various threads for a while. Bigs offer a much longer path to contention if at all. Scoring and play making Guards and Forwards can impact the game sooner and generally “unlock” the talents of those around them with their gravity. Bigs don’t have that same gravity and generally don’t make lesser players around them more effective.

I think Harden is a good example of a player who frankly was underrated because the talent around him during his tenure wasn’t great but those supporting players around him all seemed better than what they were in real life. Look at the play of his role players with him on the court vs the play of those same players when they went to other teams or when Harden sat on the bench. I just don’t think you see the same effect from big men.

AD is a great example of a dominant modern big who had little playoff success until he was paired with an elite playmaker/scorer in Lebron. Lebron as the principle ball handler just raises the floor of those around him in ways that AD can’t working from the elbow or the block half the time.

…the other important point to make to other posters here is Goals -is out primary goal that we want to get better next year, is it to fill a weakness from this years team, or is it to win a title eventually? Lots of players make us better in the draft but maybe only a handful of players make us a better rebounding team next year…but what does being a better rebounding team mean when really what we want is to win a title in the future after being so close so many times in the Harden era.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think people are trying to say perimeter players regardless of the traditional position they are given. Not necessarily a "guard." Cade, Green, Suggs all fit the description and the point is based on a very clear trend of these front court players/bigs all leaving their team to join a perimeter star. It seems to be a trend that will continue with players like KAT and Zion, just a matter of time.
    The why of it? Sure, some of it is bad front office decisions. Do these teams just not know how to build around their big? Blown draft picks trying to fit pieces around the star big. Some of it is that a big can have enough of an impact that your team is able to move up from the bottom, but only into the middle tier of teams, leaving you on the treadmill of mediocrity until the star big grows frustrated and wants to bolt.

Honestly, we were doing the same with Hakeem. The turnaround from those terrible rosters to attacking Hakeems character and accusing him of faking the injury and that entire situation, any other guy would have left. Amazing we broke through, but it took one in a million comebacks and resilience.

glimmertwins likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

great post - I would just add that I believe those wing/guard playmakers raise the floor of those around them in a way that means something significant when operating under a salary cap where you realistically can only afford 2 stars and maybe a few mid tier guys or 3 stars and all league average players and/or vet buyout guys to surround them. You just don’t get the same “floor raising of teammates around them” value from bigs and to your point, a good big puts you in a mid lottery draft spot where you generally won’t get the opportunity to draft those types of guards/forwards to supplement without taking projects who may take a little longer to develop which generally doesn’t jive with the time table of your top tier lotto big’s timeline.

Caesar likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yup. Dumb thread is dumb

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If you're EXPECTING our #2 pick to turn into the best player on a title team, you're likely going to be sorely disappointed. The goal is to pick a foundational cornerstone for the future.

Looking at the history of the 2nd overall pick, it isn't a stretch to say our undrafted Jae'Sean Tate could end up having a longer and more prolific career than whomever we pick. Just the way it goes sometimes

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The guards vs big men debate is fascinating... and it’s true that the recent trend favors the guards.

The interesting part is when you ask why . Is it a function of the game changing and favoring guards ? Or are the best players just what height they are and it’s a random distribution ?

for sure if you are bigger stronger and more athletic you will have an advantage (holding other variables constant) . Nba teams have looked at the landscape and it does seem that with the 3 and the current meta , they favor 2 inches of length over 2 inches of height . Skill matters and generally if you are and have been smaller you have to develop more skill to keep playing as the level increases.

That being said , some big guys are just as skilled or very nearly as skilled as smaller players. Is the skill level evening out ?

I remember a few years ago if you look at shooting by position , PF had the highest 3pt%. Was that a function of defenses giving them too many corner 3’s ? Or did teams just start playing better shooters at PF ?

I wonder what the breakdown is like today . AND shooting is only one dimension.

Basically , I think it’s too complicated to answer . Too many variables to figure out and could you even measure ?

As it goes for the draft you just gotta take the best player and fit for the organization.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

looks like we should be doing everything possible to move up and draft Cade

14. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

It doesnt favor guards it favors forwards. Forwards nowadays are basically big men with guard skills. Cp3 and Booker are guards Giannis and Middleton are forwards thats why owned Cp3 and Booker.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Best player on the recent championship teams are all forwards. Clearly we need to draft someone along those lines to follow the winning trend.

More reason to pick Mobley since he's a big who can shoot, defend and dribble.

roslolian likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

As @roslolian said, maybe we can/should draft the next great forward? o_O:confused:

LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Giannis,…
    Durant
    LeBron
    Curry(Iguodala FMVP)
    Kawhi
    LeBron
    LeBron
    Dirk
    Kobe
    Kobe
    Pierce
    Parker
    Wade
    Duncan
    Billups
    Duncan
    O’Neal
    O’Neal
    O’Neal

roslolian likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

If we wanna go the history route the Rox should only consider trading up for Cade, Drafting Mobley or trading down and getting Barnes and some other dude (my preferred choice atm). Mobley likely wont be the best player in a champ team but he will play a part in it as all champ teamd have had some sort of star big men.

J.R. likes this.
  19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I never said expect, but you sure do hope. I think you misunderstood the comment, because by saying foundational cornerstone for the future vs. best player on a title team, I am not sure how those are mutually exclusive. I would hope for the player to become a super star at 2nd overall pick, and I do not think it is unreasonable. If you look at the list of #2 overall picks, they are either a star player or they are a bust/fringe NBA player. You don't see much in between. The way I read your post about finding a foundational cornerstone, my assumption is you mean a guy who is a bonified starter in the NBA? Historically teams go all or nothing when you have a pick this high, you should not pick a safe bet thinking he can be a starter for us, and bypass guys that have super-star generational talent potential.

I never said what to expect at #2, but you can definitely see that when people select bigs early in the draft, they tend to have a much higher rate of failure than guards who are picked high.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/2nd-overall/20509/

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

... what??

If you have an opportunity to get a sure-fire all-star in the draft, you don't pass it up for a "could be superstar" that just as easily could be a bust. There is literally no reason to swing for the fences if you're the front office and believe to have a safe bet at the #2, whether that "safe bet" be any of the top 4 prospects of your choice.

I don't understand this fake reality in which teams try and get a superstar with every high pick. There's less than 10 total "Super-Stars" in the entire NBA if you're using that term properly, that word is typically reserved for players who have the ability to be the best player on a title team. Teams try and pick the best fit and the best option available, there's no "swing for muh stars and if you miss you're on the moon" or something especially in a deep draft with plenty of options. The science of drafting in the NBA is so poorly understood that you can have a team at #2 trying to draft a superstar and a team at #41 trying to draft a role-player, and the #41 can get the superstar (Jokic) Hell, it feels like the mid-lottery hits on stars better than the high lottery. If you have a sure thing you take it, you don't pass on it for a "could-be" with a foggy potential fit.

Again, use whatever players you want to understand my position. I don't care who you think is to be the "sure thing" and the "could be", just that we should take the "sure thing" if the front office believes to have one available. There is a reality in which Toronto or Cleveland ends up with a perennial all-star and we end up with a complete bust because we fell in love with a could be prospect and got greedy, acknowledge that reality and weigh the options.

Also FWIW, players like Morant weren't swing for the fences picks with players like R.J Barrett still on the board. Remember how hyped people were for Barrett? Memphis didn't buy the hype, made the right call and took the sure thing.

#60 BigggReddd, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021