1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer 2021 - Update On Opinions of Front Office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BallSoHarden, Jul 3, 2021.

?

Is the New Front Office Doing A Better Job Than You Initially Thought They Were?

1. Stones has Some Stones

63 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. Tilly Only Care For Lux Tax Savings

29 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Obviously not. Mobley's strength is his defensive instincts. If his mind is free, he can do a good job. Will he show that mental maturity? I don't know.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don’t likeTillman, but I respect that he wanted a culture reset, he knew the toxicity of the Harden enabled culture, it was out of control and not a culture that would ever win a ring.

we have no choice but to see if the new culture works better.

DD

Pat, Trackwell, GotGame15 and 2 others like this.
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Absolutely, you figure in reality the Rockets team are really just those 4 guys plus who ever they draft with the 2nd pick (Green). Everyone else are interchangeable.

4. saleem

He knew the toxicity within the team, he offered 50 M per year to Harden despite that. Russ was part of the problem too. He wanted to do things his own way.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am betting, he wanted to reset the talent and hoped Harden would adapt because of the money.

DD

GotGame15 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

He may have wanted a different coach from D’Antoni but…
    He didn’t want to lose Morey…Morey left.
    He didn’t want to lose Tad Brown…Brown left.
    “He knew the “toxicity” of Harden/“Harden’s culture”” but offered a 2-year, $103M extension to stay…Harden left.
    Called Chris Paul the worst contract he’s ever seen in business or sports…manages to trade for two worse contracts.
    CEO left, Coach left, GM left, stars left, two broadcasters gone, …

What’s his culture? Be cheap, cut corners, run everyone off, have sons be involved (even though they’re the least bit qualified)?

“Yeah but I did it as a favor to them/us!”

“I’m holding up pretty damn good,” he said during the interview. “But I’ve got 45,000 employees out there that we’ve had to furlough that is so tremendously unfortunate, that we have to get back to work as soon as we can. These unemployment numbers of 16 million, and there’s no telling what it’s going to be next week. That’s what’s so sad about this whole crisis.”

“How hard was that decision to lay off your employees?” Kilmeade asked Fertitta.

"You know, Brian, I went through the '87 crisis, the 2000, the 2008," Fertitta responded. "You’re doing the people a favor if you get them furloughed first because you have them first to unemployment line after the severance that you give them. It’s a trick that I’ve learned many years ago."

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Evan Mobley defensive montage. Not one clip of Mobley having someone putting
    a body on him.

All as help defender or in a zone with no one putting a body on him, holding or pushing
    him like they will in the NBA.

We shall see.

saleem likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

The Rockets biggest problem. It’s been downhill since he showed up. No objective reason to think that will change.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't like Tilman either but I don't think the culture reset had too much to do with Harden and mroe to do that this is usually what happens when ownership changes hands.

The new owner always will give some BS about how nothing will change and will always get their own people in there. I think a lot of people overreacted to a lot of the changes Tilman has made and people should have expected that he was going to make a lot of replacements when it became convenient for him to do so.

Right, we have no choice but to wait and see how things go but people were really eager to promote the idea that as soon as MDA and Morey were replaced that we were going to be the worst franchise in the NBA for a decade.

I think so far things have been better than I expected. We have some exciting young players in Tate, KPJ, KMJ and whoever we draft and then we have a guy who is just entering his prime in Wood that can be traded for more assets or stay if that's what is best for the team. I think we can get some assets from Gordon too from a contending team that needs shooting and scoring.

GotGame15 likes this.
  10. saleem

I agree with that. It was never going to be enough without a better replacement for Westbrook. Anyway, we have to move on.
    Let's hope for the best.

11. saleem

He over relies on shot blocking. That won't work in the NBA. He is skinny, he won't be the man there.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I agree with everything you assessed

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well, I doubt he gets free rein like he got in college defensively.

No interference whatsoever. Imo.

Hope he is better than what I project if we get him.

14. caneks

caneks Rookie

C is the right score for stone. he is awful.

15. conquistador#11

16. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Please explain. I’m not saying you’re right or wrong I just want to understand.

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

We had two superstars. What stone got for this team from their trades? and this team played so hard to win, resulting in lottery with a pick better than any other picks Stone got from trades.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone going motorboating this 4th of July. :D

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can I vote on both choices? Stone has some stones, and Tilly only cares about LTS. These two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

20. DonatelloLimestone

I think stone has done a solid job. Even with morey, I've never indicted the Front office or management in our ills, they are working a job within the confines of the mandates or limitations of the owners finances.

Otherwise Daryl wouldn't have accumulated and spoken about assets to get better while capped out and then precededed to not only ignore our bird rights, our MLE, our TPE, but even further more trade picks and assets all to get under the tax line even if not helpful for basketball during our window. Those moves never helped him with future flexiblity, they almost had 0 incentive for him, the players, team, fans even...just owner savings.

So with stone, he did an incredible job finding unlikely talent. gve him an A for drafting KMJ, Tate, Signing wood to a great deal and empowering both KPJ and Wood. So in my eyes, hes got the right eyes to be able to find diamonds in the rough and I'm encouraged by him. But even our trades, it was a lot of expiring contract and typical Tilman' stuff. Once again thats on the Owners' onus or mandate, theres no one in our organization with clout as we have a rookie coach and Gm so even morey and tad brown couldn't reel in tilman's mandate, the new guys will not.

Not to mention we're in an amazing position with those guys and the 2 pick. As long as we don't screw it up and give up assets during asset accumulation rebuild and ride out wall and gordon until it really makes sense for where we are then I'm excited about the rockets future. I do hope tilman getting boo'd in houston last couple weeks at the fight served him some humble pie to shut up and listen, but then again he still goes on recrod that daryl went all in when anyone whose not casual can look up our transactions and see it was 90 percent cost cutting moves