1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Hornets had lucked into the 3rd pick I think they still do that deal. They're seemingly always trying to fast forward the process... though in this case it woudl actually make sense.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone would be stupid to do this deal.

saleem likes this.
  3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Looked up some of the comparsion players Green is put up against.

Here are Zach Lavine and Bradley Beal's numbers at age 18 in college and 19 in the NBA.

No guarantees at all of course and a long way to develop, but Green's numbers look pretty much better everywhere at those ages in comparision.

Bradley Beal Age 18 in College
    Code:

Season    Age College  G  FG%  3P%  FT%   MP  PTS TRB AST
    2011-12    18 FLORIDA 37 .445 .339 .769 34.2 14.8 6.7 2.2
    Career                37 .445 .339 .769 34.2 14.8 6.7 2.2

Age 19 NBA
    Code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos  G GS   MP  FG%  3P%  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    2012-13    19 WAS NBA  SG 56 46 31.2 .410 .386 .424 .477 2.2 2.8 .786 3.8 2.4 0.9 0.5 1.6 2.0 13.9

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bealbr01.html

Zach Lavine age 18 in College
    Code:

Season    Age College  G  FG%  3P%  FT%   MP PTS TRB AST
    2013-14    18    UCLA 37 .441 .375 .691 24.4 9.4 2.5 1.8

Age 19 NBA
    Code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos  G GS   MP  FG%  3P%  2P% eFG%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    2014-15    19 MIN NBA  PG 77 40 24.7 .422 .341 .449 .465 1.9 2.3 .842 2.8 3.6 0.7 0.1 2.5 2.1 10.1

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lavinza01.html

Jalen Green age 19 in G League
    Code:

Season     Tm  G   MP  FG%  3P%  2P%  FT FTA  FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
    2020-21   GLI 15 32.0 .461 .365 .529 1.9 2.3 .829 4.1 2.8 1.5 0.3 2.7 1.7 17.9

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/g/greenja02d.html

Bo6, Htown's Finest, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

I just don't think he's good enough to fetch a top ten pick and he fits Charlotte's timeline. PJ Washington is just a Carl Landry type of undersized PF with a decent 3 pt shot who will be a decent role player. I think Rocket's fan are overrating C Wood because he's got 2 years left on a good contract before wanting to get paid.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did PJ Washington average 20/10?

And 40% from 3P?

saleem likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Are we trying to be a good? Then who cares if we exacerbate the height issue when we should be bottoming out to give ourselves the best chance at consecutive seasons of top picks.

That's fine if you think C Wood is worth more, and I'd never argue against trying to maximize the return, but we are in complete rebuild mode right now.

swoosh1014 and D-rock like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

He averaged 38% 3P on 4.5 attempts per game compared to C Wood %37 on 5 attempts for 2020.

But it would be incredibly naïve and shortsighted to view this as a PJ for C Wood trade, he's just a nice rookie to go along with # 11. I'd certainly listen to other offers.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood was averaging over 40% from 3 before his injury and he has admitted that he was not 100% upon his return.

Wood is better than 11th pick IMO. Even with PJ.

Rockets already lack quality bigs WITH WOOD, why give up a proven one just to roll dice on a rookie while weakening an already weak area?

saleem likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Cause we can get more for CWood.

Like you can probably get a sign and trade Oubre + 7 and 14 for him. Why would GSW do that? To go all in. He'd be amazing as their 5 - obviously not a defensive stalwart, but capable enough with Draymond and a healthy Dray covering for him. He's not lost out there ala Wiseman. Not sure how i feel about Oubre, but there's some deal there.

There's also potential deals from Sacramento, Orlando and my wish Cleveland (unlikely). Granted I don't dislike PJ Washington so that is a nice part of the consideration from your proposal, but....

D-rock likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I doubt GSW would give that type of draft capital up for C Wood and don't feel like Sacramento, Orlando, and Cleveland are on the timeline (Sacramento being the most likely).

It's not my proposal but one that was going around Charlotte circles. That's how Charlotte fans value Wood and I more or less agree.

11. dmoneybangbang

Well he's never averaged 40% for the season (except the small sample size of 12 games) and you can't just assume he'll be 40% 3 point shooter or healthy for an entire season.

Mostly because we aren't on the timeline of playing competitive basketball with the bolded. Unless you think we are just around the corner (we are gonna hit on our draft picks and be competitive in two years) then we should be bottoming out.

12. JW86

JW86 Member

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No. I don't think they should trade the pick.

People sometimes get too infatuated with draft picks and 'assets'. If Green is the next transcendent star, take him...or be forever haunted that you traded down to have more assets...

It would suck if Green WAS the next Kobe and you traded him away to pick up more 'assets'.

IvanLCPM, D-rock, bballjunkie and 5 others like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

One can never say for sure just how exactly a prospect will turn out, but with that being said it's incredibly difficult to not get irrationally hyped for Green's future success in the league. This is a kid that's been putting in hours of work daily since the 5th grade in an attempt to eventually go pro. That kind of work ethic and drive can't be overlooked. We all see the otherworldly speed and athleticism, and many would rely on those gifts to get them by until forced to change but Jalen is different. This is a kid that drove hours as a 16 yr old to meet and play with NBA superstars in open runs during the summertime. Once there he'd have to wait even longer to finally get into the games and then be tasked with slowing down a warmed up Booker or Durant. That kind of competition and experience at such a young age is invaluable and the exact royal jelly necessary for a young star to blossom and mature. When you think about it it's no surprise he chose the G League pathway considering his main focus has always been working harder on improving his skillset so he can hit the league running.

Then you hear Jalen talk and he speaks of one day being known as the GOAT. GOAT?! Come on, Bartow. That's crazy talk. Ya maybe, but give me that kind of mindset out of a young superstar talent with a crazy man's work ethic all day every day. As for the comparisons Paul Pierce has coached this kid in tournaments and claims he's the next Tracy McGrady offensively so the lofty expectations aren't coming from just anywhere here. This is a kid who is beloved by young stars like Ja Morant who has already taken him under his wing so you couldn't be on a much better pathway to stardom if it's so destined. An athletic freak. A curious mind. A desire to be great. The work ethic to acheive said greatness. That's all you could ask for. That's Jalen Green. That's our #2 pick.

IvanLCPM, Drift Monkey, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  15. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

We are in this weird transition area with guys skipping college and going to the g league. my assumption is if this guy played in college and got the hype of all these other guys it would be a no contest. hope our front office is a little more forward thinking.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well I stand corrected. If KMart is a SG I didn't know that.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I came away with the same thoughts after i did my research. I was leaning Evan but Jalen has a love for the game that is only seen in the greats.

The question won't be Jalen or Evan at #2 within 2 weeks.

The question will be Cade or Jalen At #1.

I did my deep dive and it's not even close to who should be #2 out of the non Cade guys.

I think there is a debate for #1.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a tweener, his freak athleticism lets him play a lot bigger than he is.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You should write his story in the near future, brehsef.

I still had the Tomball Jimmy Butler story on my mind growing up without parents and such.

I think it is easier for a bigger SF to be in the GOAT convo than strictly SG in the modern times.

But that is just me.

i3artow i3aller likes this.