1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Chris Bosh
    Dirk - just frame and finesse game
    Pau Gasol

All are comps I have for this kid…while it’s true he may be dominated in the paint by bigger stronger players early on…one thing with Mobley tho is he doesn’t shy away from being physical or contact and that’s very important.

There are lots of big men in the NBA who are soft (KAT) but Mobley while being very thin and light or what have you at least competes on the defensive end in the post.

Everybody do me a favor and look at Chris Bosh WiKi and read where it says rookie year and it talks about how he was abused and punished by bigger stronger players while he was a rookie…and even played through injury because of the physicality of the NBA game.

That’s Mobley right there…he is a finesse player and that’s ok but as long as he competes defensively in the paint area he will be fine…This kid is a generational defender and instant defensive anchor so he will be just fine even if he is pushed around or bullied he still has amazing shot blocking rim protecting and defensive awareness and IQ to be a game changer.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Mobley's a great player. The Rockets need a potential superstar, he aint it.

Rocket_Man_2.0 likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Tim Duncan and Yao proved firey personality not required for greatness. That said, I'm a Green guy, who will be an allstar, but I do think Mobley will be a good role player.

Hakeemtheking and BossHogg713 like this.
  4. Rocket_Man_2.0

Jalen green

ipaman likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nah to early to say on current he's dealing with lie's from a election that was won out right and trying to straighten out relationships with allies that were ruined by that clown that was in office before him.

6. Emtenndo

Emtenndo Member

Big facts on dray.

He sounds like a good kid though.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  7. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I agree with you. Do not give up on our #2 pick. Mobley would be my choice as well. We definitely need a big man. We're already in the rebuilding process, and Evan would be a great pickup at this time.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Got yourself a Baby face.

Are we making the front page of sports magazines?

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

He can bulk up. Mobley is only 20. Wood, by comparison, is 25. Big difference. Even if he gets muscled around right now, if he bulks up just a little it could make a big difference. I remember when we draft Capela - he was very thin and frail, was not NBA ready at all. It's not like he became this really thick center, but he bulked up enough and added enough muscle to hold up against bigs such that he could defend against guys like KAT, Gobert, etc. pretty effectively. In this playoffs Capela has been more than serviceable against much stronger players and even better players like Embiid. No reason to think Mobley can't add some strength to his physique and become an inside-out big man that creates major problems for opponents (Embiid, KAT, etc. do it without having super high 3pt shooting percentages, though they are much slower than Mobley) and defends just well enough to hold up against bigger and stronger players.

10. Rocket_Man_2.0

The college competition makes Mobley look better than he really is. Once he get's exposed in the NBA...you'll be wondering why we drafted him! Rockets need a superstar not a super role player! Draft Jalen Green!

11. HTXSportsAddict

Too early to say??? The guy has been a corrupt insider for 50 years. Just as bad as the lifelong corrupt outsider. He sucks. They also both have diarrhea of the mouth while being total idiots. We are end-stage Roman empire (weak and corrupt leaders, cultural fracturing and decay, in debt to our eyeballs, and on and on). All I care about is getting another Rockets title, another Astros title, and a Texans title before we utterly collapse.

Drift Monkey and edwardc like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. And truthfully, Isaac is a defensive beast when he can stay on the floor. Big man may have been used differently and played differently 10/20 years ago but guards and wing are far stronger and bigger than they've ever been. It's a bit concerning these fluid, lanky centers have a hard time staying on the court.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  13. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can agree we maybe at the end stage and those titles would be great to get before the collapse.

Drift Monkey and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How does this disprove my point?

AD and Davis were not the offensive guys they are now when drafted. They both were very raw.

15. dmoneybangbang

AD and Davis? AD and Giannis?

AD was a guard in high school who grew into a center. He was objectively more polished than Mobley.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Low post 5's are an anachronism in modern NBA.

If this was the critical trait for a big then Sengun would be 1st overall pick, he is light years ahead of every player in low post and still only 19 years old.

Instead Sengun may fall out of the 1st entirely.

And FYI, the best Jaren Jackson comp is Kai Jones. But I like Kai Jones better.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

With better handles and passing.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You know who I am talking about.

Yes AD was a guard but he was not polished at Kentucky he was a glorified roll player at Kentucky, I watched tons of his games and nothing was run for him.

This was his draft profile.

Weaknesses: The number one drawback on Davis is his overall strength, or lack thereof .. Despite his youth, he is unquestionably thin and the issue remains just how much weight he can add, and how that added weight will affect his speed and agility … His shoulders suggest he can build on his frame, and he’s noticeably chiseled his arms, however a thin waist likely means he won;t be able to bulk up substantially … Must work on his core and lower body- easily gets pinned and backed down in the paint Unable to establish and maintain position inside, often finding himself bumped off balance … Rarely used in isolation post-up’s during his freshman campaign, particularly given his size advantage on many nights and solid footwork Offensive canvas is raw, with obvious enormous room for improvement … Doesn’t yet have a feel for his jump shot, often rushing the attempt and shooting a flat shot … There are times where he displays extreme comfort handling the ball, but face-up/dribble-drive maneuvers are few and far between … While he’s a tremendous secondary and tertiary leaper, he too often leaves his feet on pump fakes … It’s hard to fault him for being shot block happy, but the lack of discipline is not to his benefit … His athleticism and length won’t cover up all shortcomings against super competition … Projecting Davis going forward, there’s not much to dislike … Physical maturity is the only visible hurdle standing in his path to beast mode.

Who does that sound like?

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

The roids didnt hurt either.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

he wasn't much of a ball handler but that's not that important for a big, however turner was a pretty capable passer coming out of texas. I still think they're pretty similar in regards to being first known as that active defensive presence with plenty of length. Turner has been injury prone since hes been in the league, for mobley's sake hope that isn't that case

D-rock likes this.