1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mad Max wants to replace Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 16, 2021.

?

Max for broadcast

1. Yes - keeps it real

85 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No - keeps it real

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Sure. Max can do play by play. Ralph can be the color commentator. Rodney McCray can be Clutch the Bear. Mario Elie can be Turbo. Jon Berry can be Dancing Barry. And Calvin Murphy can be Calvin Murphy.

Kenny Smith will be interviewed for all the positions but won’t be hired.

BigShasta and Deckard like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not sure I could handle his voice for long periods. Hard enough putting up with Bull. He’s be entertaining though.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

People definitely don’t seem to understand the difference between play by play and color. And there is a HUGE difference...

shady1, don grahamleone and napalm06 like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Max would heighten the drama in every broadcast because he's always just one "motherf$#ker" away from early retirement.

#24 topfive, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This would be awesome!

But he would probably be banned from the air before his first game ended :eek::D

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

He’s not serious and I’m sure even if he was, he’d be like Drexler - home games only. Ackerman and Maxwell I could see work though, since the former gets excited and Max would probably too so they’d have that energy that Bill and Calvin had. Bullard is a dry camel in the desert whining about no water over and over so it’s time he leaves. Or a 3-man crew with Max, Bull could be the balance.

napalm06 likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

What tf happened to Clyde on the broadcast and why wasn't he in the building for Bill's last game? I found that odd

9. DJ

DJ Member

I agree.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As stated earlier, PBP is quite different from Color Analyst.

Yeppers, gimme some Mad Max color.

Mike Gorman, Celtics’ PBP voice, was just elected to BBHoF ‘21, next class. This comment from him was quite interesting in the wake of BW’s retirement and the reaction of the minority, “
    “You find out early as a broadcaster, if the team was good, you’re probably looked on by people as being pretty good,” said Gorman. “If the team sucks, you suck, too.”

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just ask Astros fans how they felt about Alan Ashby doing play by play (vs. who they have now, Todd Kalas).

PBP guys go to broadcasting school. They're trained to perform that. Former players are the analysts. Not saying a former player couldn't become a decent PBP guy after years of doing it, but it isn't as easy as it seems... and ultimately the viewers would be the ultimate judge on whether or not somebody is "good" at it.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Obviously Craig Ackerman's overly hyper self is just gonna take over the home games.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Is three man team a possibility?

Bill, Bull, Clyde.
    Craig, Bull, Vernon?

BamBam likes this.
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Max on the road would be great. Dude might go in to the stands. Seriously play by play is a tough gig and he has zero training and very little public speaking appearances.

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We need some hometown bias. Bull and Bill were too nice.

16. BartBurton

BartBurton Member

Hire him as the Rockets Twitter admin. Imagine games vs j*zz.

17. omgTHEpotential

Worrell / JVG / MadMax

18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Would be a lot of fun and would give us a little extra reason to tune in. It'd probably best if that contract was non guaranteed though. I can totally see him calling Tilman a hack on live TV and getting fired the day after.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I prefer the truth, but not everyone does. So be careful what you ask for. It's a fine line he will need to walk and it will take him some time to figure that out. He can be himself, but eventually, you will annoy everyone at some point. Candid is great at the start, but it wears thin by the end.

I'm not even sure you need play by play anymore. Last week they interrupted an inside story by Julia to call a fly out, and it just totally sank her story. It was a shame. If I'm watching, I know what it happening.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why not move Murph to the broadcast booth with Ackerman, Bullard to radio, and Mad Max in the studios with Cayleigh and Eschenfelder?