1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust the Rockets to full on rebuild the right way?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 14, 2021.

?

Do you trust the Rockets to do a full on rebuild the right way?

1. Yes

2. No way. Tilman won't wait.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. there's a reason the whole world has bailed on the Rockets

Der Rabbi, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  2. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I think it depends if you consider "the right way" being tanking the next couple of years.

If they get one of the top four picks, there's no way they'll do that. They'll see that top pick, KPJ and Wood as the core and build around it, probably burning some future picks to do that. I mean, look at Stone's comments.

If they don't get one of the top four picks, MAYBE they'll do the rebuild "the right way."

It all depends what happens June 22.

napalm06 likes this.
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Kelly ~ Free agent Center decent money worth
    Woods~ big Cam
    Cade ~ Tate
    Porter ~ Gordon
    Wall ~ Cade

Playoff team

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm right there with you ....

So far he's said all the right things and I want to believe him .... he screwed up a hell of a team with the last couple years of being cheap & forcing decisions on unwilling GM's , maybe he learned his lesson and will let the basketball people make basketball decisions.

Really , I think this is a hard situation to screw up , the team sucks , you'll get a high pick either this year or next , maybe both and you'll have almost $70m coming off the books at just the right time to add a superstar to what you've built in the next two years.

The worst thing that can happen is to try to speed up the process by attaching assets to Wall and or EG and getting negative assets in return , just ride those contracts out and liquidate them when its advantageous which is the trade deadline of 22/23 , a season and a half away.

In the mean time , keep cycling thru young players looking for gems like Tate & Martin.

I think the Kelly Olynyk free agency situation will tell us a lot about Tilman ....

glynch likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Being cheap and rebuilding at rock bottom happen to magically align for the Rockets in terms of strategy now.

Don't expect that alignment to automatically continue if things improve and get expensive - Lt. Savings may be called back to active duty.

darksoul35, amaru and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:

I want to believe....

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think if Stone is left alone and allowed to do his job without interference, we have a pretty good chance. He’s done a good job of digging up some fairly decent talent from the clearance rack, but if Tilman meddles or handicaps him in any way, which he no doubt will, we are probably doomed.

I have confidence in Stone. I have the opposite of confidence in Tilman.

amaru likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaken
    But not stirred

dmoneybangbang and Plowman like this.
  9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I 100% have faith that the Rockets can rebuild this team the right way. They’ve shown the ability to find talent and develop young guys using their G-League team.
    I am however concerned that they will give Wood a max contract. I’m also not convinced that KPJ is the future star of this team. He’s inconsistent and doesn’t take advantage of the opportunity sometimes. And before anyone brings up the 50 point game let’s not forget that Corey Brewer also scored 50 points.
    Anyways, there’s something about KJ and Thomas that I really like. KJ has dog in him and takes advantage of every second he gets on the court. Thomas is a future 2 way star in this league. Kid is 6’3 but plays much bigger then that simply because his arm length measures at 6’10.
    At least I know that if our 1st round pick turns out to be a bust that we still have Tate, Thomas, and KJ to look forward to.

amaru likes this.
  10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The word culture has reasonably been appropriated by those troubled by the culture around Harden. But, before that came out, the culture that was referenced as a reason for everyone wanting to leave was the culture of Fertitta. It was his culture that ran everyone off and pretty much everyone that could leave has left by now. (Hiring his son did not help.) Rookies will have to play for the Rockets if they're drafted here but they won't have to stay. And I'm not sure why anyone believes that any other player would want to come here or, if they're traded here, why they'd want to stay. A successful rebuild can only happen once Fertitta and the 'culture' around him is gone. In that way, patience is the right word. But it's not about Tilman being patient, it's about fans being patient while waiting for him to be gone so that good players will want to play here again.

Rashmon, Ziggy, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Since the need to re-build coincides with cutting costs, I am inclined to think that Tilman will listen to Patrick and Stone. It will take years before Tilman's other business ventures recover. So, maybe we will get the organic re-build many have been calling for.

dmoneybangbang and Plowman like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I really hope so.

Agreed about Olynyk and the free agency situation in general, as we will have to fill out the roster (Rockets Cap Space). I would be disappointed if we went the Philly tank route, as I think we need some decent vets to surround around the rookies and younger players. We want to be bad.... but we don't want the blue chips developing too many bad habits (on and off court).

BamBam likes this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There's not been a single thing Tilman has done that makes me think he won't f*ck up a rebuild.

I have literally no faith in this organisation right now.

14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

It's definitely not all bad right now with the FO. I think there are reasons to be optimistic. I was pretty cynical after Morey left and thought we were done for, but overall the player personnel decisions have been good. In my view:

- Wall trade was good
    - Wood signing was great
    - Martin draft pick was great
    - Tate signing was great
    - Cutting Cousins was good
    - Harden trade return was good
    - Levert trade was poor
    - Allen trade was adequate
    - Tucker trade was good
    - Dipo trade was poor though is looking better by the day
    - G-League call ups have been pretty good (Brooks, Thomas, Oliver is looking pretty decent imo), though some were poor (Patton, not a Lamb fan, etc.)

I know a lot of people complain about the luxury tax and saving money, but what's the point in getting into the luxury tax with a team like this? What owner and front office in their right mind would do that?

Obviously, this offseason is huge. I thought we were going to trade more players away at the deadline, but I thought the returns most teams got at the deadline were poor, so it's probably better that we held onto them. I don't think you pick up Bradley's team option given how poor he played, and you'd have to think that House and Gordon are both going to be on the trade block.

Like everyone here, I'm really hoping we keep this pick and that it lands top-4. But in general, I'm far more bullish with this FO than I was to start the season and am cautiously optimistic with the direction this team is headed, even though we really suck at the moment.

Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I said yes simply out of sheer hope.

jiggyfly and Plowman like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's just a meme at this point. We dumped assets over and over on 2019 fresh off of a 60 win year. It doesn't matter anymore but it's still a source of regret.

Anyway I do think Tilman will be on board with a rebuild because rookie contracts are way cheaper than free agents.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  17. ball king23

ball king23 Member

especially when he already trying to ship off draft picks for stars that do not want to come here

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No. I need Patrick Fertitta to stop pushing micro ball if he is indeed.

Let's Silas pick his crew (players) that fit his system.

Truly playing his offense in the last 20 games has opened up Kenyon Martin's game
    lately, among others.

BamBam likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sometimes, the dumbest person can luck into success. So...

[​IMG]

amaru likes this.
  20. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Im in complete shock that 33 percent still have confidence in that *******. Based on his few years of ownership he has destroyed the 2nd best team in the NBA . We are done as long as he is the owner. Im still Rockets no matter what but its more frustrating than ever.