1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cell Phones] Google Pixel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 1, 2016.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

70's Astros phone? I will get one.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Baby hands. Will Fuller, is that you? 12 Pro Max is the best phone on the market.

Google with custom processor with no history in hardware? They are NOT Apple. Apple had a history with hardware since their beginning. Apple mobile processors have been the best since they began. Google is a search engine.

I would not touch a Google phone with their own 1st Gen. processor…

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Screen name I haven't seen in a while. :)

Big hands, big feet... big disappointment.

Who the heck is Will Fuller?

Yep... there's no question that 1st gen anything usually has some quirks to work out, but considering Samsung is manufacturing the chip and have years of experience doing so, I'm sure it'll be fine.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow.

it's amazing how people get when something critical is said of Apple.

Aside from the fact they are too expensive its this cult mentality that turns me off from owning anything Apple.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I've owned the Nexus 5, 5x, Pixel 1, Pixel 3 and currently Pixel 4a-5g, so I'm very interested in this. If it has a solid camera upgrade then I'm all in.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Too expensive? Samsung is basically the same price. Besides that, iPhones have the best mobile processor…period. Not even close. An iPhone will be supported with Updates for atleast 6 years. No one assures that type of support.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is not a Apple vs Samsung thing and Samsung makes phones for difference price ranges.

What does the best mobile processor have to do with anything? Who actually uses all of that processing on their phone anyway?

Who cares about support when Apple is marketing you another phone every year?

Yes too expensive.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm still rocking a Pixel 3A, but could see myself going for this in a year or so.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. OmegaSupreme

Processor is only as good as the software in front of it. This S21 Ultra ($1199) with a Snapdragon 888 that I'm using has more frame drops and my iPhone 12 Pro Max ($1099) had more app forcecloses than the Pixel 5 I had months prior though it was running a mid-range Snapdragon 765. In short I went from a 765G to A14 Bionic to 888 and now considering going back to the Pixel 5 with the 765G... a $699 phone, which still many folks consider overpriced, so I agree with you. Anecdotal? Sure. The P5 was just a smoother experience for me.

Benchmarks are pretty, but yeah... day-to-day usage is what I use to gauge devices. When I read benchmarks, I think of that 2015-16 Warriors team who's 73-9 record looked good... on paper. I need to roll with a smartphone for a couple of weeks before coming to and sort of conclusion.

#29 OmegaSupreme, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I've been waiting for the next pixel phone to come out (specifically the 5a). I've been rocking a moto z2 force for far too long (think I bought it in November of 2017 I think (November of this year would make 4 years with the phone). I wanted the budget version (5a), but if the 6 is pretty good, might opt for that, since I tend to keep these phones forever).

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

Pretty much guaranteed at this point as this dude bats 1.000 with Pixel leaks like clockwork every year.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dang I hope it's not very big. Would love to get the top end Pixel but my hands are small and I prefer smaller phones. The Xr feels like the max size that I would be comfortable with. I dislike the trend towards bigger phones.

13. OmegaSupreme

I'm torn. My brief stint with the Pixel 5 made me dig smaller phones again, but going to the 12 Pro Max made me enjoy the viewing area more. Good news is that it's roughly the same width as Sammy phones so it won't be as unwieldily. But yeah... you'll likely be missing some hardware is you go for the smaller version and that sucks.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Will Fuller?

15. OmegaSupreme

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so i'm not a pro photographer or anything, i just point and shoot...don't do photo editing or anything.

seems to be these cameras are getting pretty decent, is it worth picking up a pixel for use as basically a camera? or is it still better just to grab an actual digital camera for trips and such?

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Google Pixel is a great phone plus camera. In my opinion, best in the business at the price they offer. No reason to even go for a basic digital camera, if you can just get this phone and enjoy all the features plus the camera. I got the Pixel 6 Pro, but you can stick to the just the Pixel 6 and you'll be totally good.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends how many pictures you take. You can pop a fresh battery in a camera. I use both but get a better zoom for birds and closer colors on landscapes with a digital camera. I like using the Pixel for macro and normal street shots or just for convenience. It takes great macro shots. I have an old 3A and get much better macro shots than my digital camera. Here's some macro from an inexpensive Pixel 3A. I think it works great.

20211018_152933.jpg

PXL_20211110_103327161.PORTRAIT~2.jpg PXL_20211107_114845527.PORTRAIT.jpg

OmegaSupreme likes this.