1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for a Boxer (Dog) and other related dog topics.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't rule out a boxer, like I said, we've had two of them, and my wife loves their look as well. they are very affectionate and honestly don't need quite as much daily exercise as a couple of other breeds. We have German shorthairs now and they are like boxers on steroids.

And they train well in terms of basic manners and house training. People do use them for agility, but they're not like border collies say in their biddability and trainability. Our shorthairs are amazing in that regard, which is true of other hunting breeds. Hunters need dogs that are obedient and can be trained easily. Dogs bred more for appearance may be a little less capable in that regard, but they can still be trained.

We've had Boston terriers as well. Great dogs, great personality, but for the most part dumb as rocks. Basic house training but after that you'll have to survive on love alone. ;)

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look at a Bull Terrier or Boerboel @jiggyfly

or even a Boston terrier

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

We love boxers and have always adopted from either Houston Boxer Rescue (houstonboxerrescue.org) or Lone Star Boxer Rescue (lsbr.org). We're actually on our 5th adopted boxer Ramen from HBR. In general boxers are mid- to high energy dogs and can require consistent exercising / walking. Fortunately Ramen is more laid back and the calmest boxer we've had and will only get hyper when he wants to play. We've had him for less than a year and he's learned some basic commands already (sit, down, stay, etc.) but still has more to learn.

What others have said about boxers being cancer prone is true. With the exception of one female boxer, all our previous ones passed away due to some sort of cancer. And of course it always hurts but that's when you know it was worth it. Boxers are very affectionate and do well around kids and my elderly parents.

Whatever you breed (or mutt) you decide to go with please consider adopting. There are so many needy dogs in shelters and rescue groups (like HBR and LSBR) can only save so many. Hope this helps and good luck!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/gWMupBDJDXr4e15y5
    [​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I will most likely adopt.

Could he get enough exercise by being in a big backyard and playing with him there and sometimes walking?

What should I look for when I am adopting, temperament, age, health?

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

That's a tough question to answer. "Enough exercise" can vary based on dog and diet. Ramen is quite chill and loves sunbathing in the backyard but definitely enjoys active play and walks/runs (we don't do the latter as much as we should though). If you adopt from a local rescue group they're usually pretty good in describing the dog's temperament, health, and estimated age. What I like about HBR and LSBR is they both foster their dogs for a least a month to start basic house training and vet out any health issues or personality concerns. I think the key for any newly adopted dog is to socialize them as much as possible while training them to know you (humans in the house) are the "boss" from a control perspective.

Sorry if I missed it but if this is your first dog then you may want a middle-aged one as they're usually not as hyper and don't have similar demands as a puppy. Of course you'll have fewer years with an older dog so there's a trade off there. If you have the time, and patience, then maybe a puppy could work for you and your family. The youngest "puppy" we've ever adopted was already a year old and much larger than we expected but he was our first boxer and never regretted it. And another positive when adopting through a rescue/shelter is they'll already have their first shots and have been neutered before you're allowed to adopt them. Hope this additional info helps.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No, boxer will need a gym.

boomboom likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Great info thanks.

I will start looking into these agencies.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

boomboom and KingCheetah like this.