1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Since we are ahead of the curve....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Apr 14, 2021.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Use space! It's blinding trying to read that. I read the first paragraph and quit. But regarding Wall's contract, I said I would not use ALL three draft picks this yr., I think it would be frivolous to have three Rookies on next yr's roster. I would use one pick and possibly a future pick to unload his contract and CREATE CAP SPACE.....Any GM with common sense would think that way.

Wall is not playing regularly, he is on the backend of his career, KPJ needs to develop more and we have DJ Augustine to help guide KPJ. Sorry I couldn't comment on the other stuff.....IT WAS CRAZY TRYING TO SIFT THROUGH ALL OF THAT.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We got two FRP’s next year. Need another tank year. Unless Wood and KPJr. Really turn it up this summer and both have a breakout year next year.

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I could be wrong but I was looking at NBADRAFT.NET and it showed 3 FRP

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bless your heart

javal_lon likes this.
  5. ballgame

ballgame Member

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think this thread should be started AFTER the draft and free agency are over. Have no clue where the Rockets are going to fall in the draft. Could be #1, could be #17. It's a huge toss up. Then no telling what kind of deals are swung in free agency. Anyway, too far out to say. I do like the pieces of Wood, Tate and KPJ as starting points to build from. Even like Nwaba a lot IF he can stay healthy. Outside of that, eh, too many holes to fill.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Where’s the curve?

upload_2021-4-15_17-42-38.gif

HP3 and don grahamleone like this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily saying we should be pushing to sneak into the playoffs - rather than focusing on creating a more solid foundation... but jus seeing all this negativity from people about how horrible our team is - without taking into account that we are tanking...

It's like from the Color of Money - "if you're gonna dump - show me you can dump like a pro..."

John Wall looked good early on - granted he was still getting his 'sea legs' back after not playing for a couple years... but looked pretty good - as opposed to falling off a cliff with bad decisions once Wood went down and we went into full tank mode.... showing his inadequacies - or 'dumping like a pro...'?

My point being, we have some decent pieces + draft capitol... if our goal was to make the playoffs next year - i believe we could... wouldnt go far - but a .500+ team....

i dont think we will do anything next year bc imo mgmt is gonna do another year of tanking to stockpile assets - but imo we could make the playoffs...

Personally, I'm never in favor of tanking away a season - at least not losing on purpose... maybe once eliminated from playoffs then you set sights to getting some benefit out of a losing season... but i'm against trying to lose for any long duration of time bc i just think it plays into culture and mindset and all that...

and accept for the 'laughing on the bench during a loss' incident - i didnt mind what many would refer to as our 'treadmill of mediocrity' years... we had a bunch of hard nose work hard guys like Scolandry, Hayes, Sura, etc... who always worked hard and left it all on the court! I'll take that over diva behavior, cornerstones and role players nonsense, getting coaches fired, and other such stupidity - at least if we're not gonna win it all either way... lol... imo...

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

People that keep trying to hammer the tank angle are nothing more than the folks who are foolishly thinking the rockets have a good team. It's nothing more than the pg-13 version of not accepting the Rockets suck. And make no mistake about it they do. Its funny how people keep thinking these guys aren't actually trying to win. Anyone who is following consistently and seeing how Silas is aging stress wise literally in his post game conferences. Dude was damn near in tears at one point. And players b****ing and complaining says a lot. The reality is they're actually trying to win games but they're just flat out not good enough. I've already said this before tank/suck doesn't matter. You're going to continue to lose games regardless. The end result is the same. But if someone is delusional enough to think this team is actually good enough to win a ton of games, yeah definitely not. that's not how it works. You don't need to take into account "tanking" and try to sugarcoat it. They're horrible and aren't going to win anyway. And it definitely isn't being fixed in the next year. Most people fail to understand the levels to this. Just like so many other threads, this will age terribly. And it's already ridiculous to begin with. just add it to the file

The thought of playoffs as fast as next year is pure nonsense

#70 YOLO, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Reeko likes this.
  11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

As long as John Wall is on this team and getting minutes the Rockets are not a playoff contender.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

welp... ur certainly entitled to your opinion. :)

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

PREACH

They didn’t trade for Oladipo because they were trying to tank. They were trying to win and just couldn’t. They were trying to win and still managed to lose 20 in a row

some people on here are just so delusional...they probably think a cohesive training camp and Wood not getting injured would’ve had this team making the playoffs this year

if they’ve embraced the tank, it was only because they were so sh*tty they ended up having no choice

we couldn’t win games if we wanted to because we’re that bad

luckyman76, HP3, sydmill and 2 others like this.
  14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Basically, I've been saying the same thing....we have pieces; I think KPJ is going to be a future star and I think Wood going to get much better! Remember this is Wood's first season playing full time and KPj's first time ever playing PG, they need time.

But, we are ahead of the curve because we have those 2. Plus, we have other good young pieces and Draft picks to build.....So, once again, I think we're ahead of the curve.

kjayp likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

I already know that, especially when folks around here are scared of the actual truth or are way too delusional. But time and time again these same folks are just flat out proven to look ridiculous

HP3 likes this.
  16. ballgame

ballgame Member

Tell us more about how we were up there with the Lakers.[/QUOTE]

If you had read my previous post, I answered all of your questions. But here it is again;

1) Since I don't think they are going to use ALL their Draft picks yr., I can see them easily attaching one of those picks to either Wall or Gordon in a trade to free up salary.

2) I'm a UH Fan, so I've watched him more than one game. But to answer your question, I do think he can be a 8th - 10th role player. He can soot and he plays good defense.

A) Here's a side note for you regarding UH Players....watch out for Jarreau in 2 or 3 yrs to be in the NBA too.

3) Hell yes! If PJ Tucker can make a career at 6'5", on a good day, without a TRUE SKILL, other than playing Defense, why can't AB?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think they have a pretty solid group to build with ....

Offensively they can put up plenty of points , even on nights that Wall doesn't play , they don't have a problem scoring.

Where they need to improve is on the defensive end ..... man they give up a ton of points. 80 in the first half to the Suns and 75 to the Pacers in the last two games and much of that was on 3 point shoots.

They've been starting KPJ , Wood ,Tate , Olynyk & either Wall or Brown ....and it really hasn't mattered which of those two , the defense has still been poor.

How do you improve that group defensively if KPJ , Wood & Tate are your future and you are stuck with Wall for at least next year.

Tate's a really good defender.
    Olynyk hasn't been bad at all. (Don't know if he's back next year or not)
    KPJ is pretty average defensively.
    Wood has been kinda underwhelming.
    The other guard spot has been dismal.

The other issue has been bench scoring .... but I think that's to be expected from a team in a rebuild , they just don't have a whole lot of firepower behind the starters.

18. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Next year the Rockets will be closer to a Super Bowl than the Texans.

They'll be a fun, competitive basketball team, too.

19. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't think anyone is scared nor delusional. I just choose to look at the glass as half full, than half empty.

I think we have two very good pieces in Wood and KPJ and KMJ has made serious strides since the start of the season, so has Tate and I think AB, while still getting acclimated, I think he has potential.

Also, people fail to realize we were on a roll until Wood got hurt. Then Wall got hurt, then Gordon got hurt, then Oladipo was in and out of the lineup, then Nwaba got hurt....NO COHENSION!

I'm just curiuos to see how thing will look next yr, when all of the players are healthy and have had a Training Camp under their belt.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

You’re a prime example of delusional/scared. Take your pick. It doesn’t matter. You’re making threads about them making the playoffs next year. Pure nonsense

the rockets were never on a roll. If you dont use actual context which is part of your delusion of those fluke wins then you won’t get it. I remember folks talking about when wood gets back theyll start winning. Lmao. They have a losing record with wood post harden. He was never saving this team but delusional folks wanted to act like he was

there’s not much to be curious about. They’ll be bad next year once again. It doesn’t take a genius to know that. It’s called common sense and understanding when you’re in a rebuild from scratch you’re going to be bad for years to come.

Reeko and HP3 like this.