1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We’re All Wrong About Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 13, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You never said that you have always been Wall's biggest supporter.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree, 1) best case scenario is he plays well and we can trade him out right.

2) Worse case scenario is the Rockets trading him like they did with CP3. That's where future Nets picks help. Do we really
    want so many first round picks. They are chips we cash in on some of them. If we actually need all of them, then we still suck.

3) Foreseeable outcome is as you mentioned ....attach him to developing prospect like Kenyon Martin. We all want to clear the
    way for Porter and say Cade/J Green/Mobley to progress. It's all about the ceiling of our young players when talking trade deadline

The excuse to trade Oladipo was to allow Porter playing time. Well Cade/J Green/Mobley will need touches as well. Thing that prevents
    that right now is contract of Wall vs expiring Oladipo terms. But if the Rockets whiff on top 4- picks and it goes to OKC......I see Wall sticking
    around a little longer.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he's just here to showcase that he's healthy. he doesn't want to stay a rocket

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Gtfo with the we were all wrong with Wall bs. I knew for a fact that dude was sht, trash talking James Harden, acting like he didn't just came off major injuries. I knew for a fact we can't rely on a hobble past his prime player to carry us.

Him and cousins talking sht, but can't admit that a ****** unfit harden outperform them.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's weird to read that "his current style is just a reflection of the current coaching staff" when John Wall has been finding ways to lose for many years now. It's also weird that you're forming an opinion on a coach that has obviously been given the directive that we're not trying to win games. How can you fairly judge the man under these circumstances?

This year is crazy.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if there are a number of views... and there is at least somebody who prescribes to each view... can everybody be wrong?

asking for a friend...

burlesk likes this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Likewise, in Washington I wasn’t a fan of his game. He showed flashes of his elite athleticism and pushing an insane pace to the game, but was inconsistent, unwilling to adjust, and seemed to really value being no 1 over any adjustments or empowering Beal to be his best self. Oddly enough, though many equate Westbrook with those qualities, his ex teammates, paul George, oladipo, Beal credit their best years with or due to him and feel he raises the bar of intensity ever single practice and game and thus with that helping the culture to dial in at another level.

That said, wall has been a pleasant surprise in his maturity and I credit anyone whose been away for 2 years to keep finding that love of the game and pushing to get back. Surgeries aren’t easy, nor is recovery, and if you’re guaranteed 40 million you really just have to want it and take pride to get back upto speed bc the money is already there in this league

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Honestly if one pulls John Wall highlights off you tube, Wall really can make some very good passes. A 6 year stretch while
    with Washington between age 22 thru 27, Wall averaged 44.7% (Ast%). That's no simple feat in the NBA. I use to view him as
    a Carmelo Anthony version at point guard minus the post up ability. But I admit he was better than that.

While complementing Wall, I also blast him for not being co-teammate friendly enough. Beal has shined in the years Wall was injured.
    Last season coming in second in scoring with 30 points a game.......only behind Harden with 34 points a game.

Before the season a Washington Wiz fan created a thread here, letting us know about John Wall and all the good he brings to a team and
    the community. I responded about his poor shooting, especially mid-range. He responded that the coaching staff actually insisted that
    the players shoot those if open. That would be hard to undo. That individual has been correct. Drives me crazy to see those 10 to
    18 footers.....even when they go in.

Unfortunately Wall has thrived on his athleticism to set up his passing; now that his athleticism has taken a hit, so has his passing ability. Once he commands more gravity of the defense, I expect the Wall-wiz version. Don't get me wrong CF's, I still want to move John Wall.......I just can tolerate him a little longer then.

#48 ApacheWarrior, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. HROZ

HROZ Member

He should leave 20 mill on the table & get that buyout

Denver probably signs him in a heart beat for this season.
    Then he can make 10 mill + per season for the next 2 seasons easy.

Literally probably makes more money in the long run & can contend for a championship this year.

10. DonatelloLimestone

No one can pay him 10 million, thats over the mle and i don’t believe Denver has that. Lastly Murray worked bc he is also a shooter and incredible off ball/on ball, basically they run Jokic as their pg. Giving him space and shooting has worked great, Wall isn’t exactly known to spread the court and he is at his best with the ball in his hands. Unless he doesn’t mind being a backup PG it wouldn’t work in Denver given he is calling himself the franchise player here.

11. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Depends on the length of time we're talking about. The beautiful thing about John Wall is that he makes us both worse, and better at the same time. John Wall is a gift to Houston sports

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I get hives when I watch John Wall iso and clank all his shots.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Too much ISO you say?

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

Easy and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Exactly.

16. Moahst

Moahst Member

John Wall has played this way for a decade. It's not Silas' fault. And quite frankly what this team needs right now is the John Wall show. Let's John Wall ourselves right into the Cade Cunningham era. He can mentor him. And eventually back him up.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rudy T was ahead of his time utilizing three floor spreading shooters and a dominant low post man.

18. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

The "Wall Hate" is primarily contractual to me and the continued worry about health exaccerbates the situation too.
    He is definitely and complimentary player now. He can be a veteran leader for this team, just needs to guide the young guys now.

19. HROZ

HROZ Member

He would get minimum this year.

I'm talking about the next 2 years.
    There will be teams with cap space.

Remember after this year he's got 2 more on the books.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wall and anyone else that would be in the same situation coming off major injuries, giving up guaranteed supermax money for multiple years, would be absolute idiots