1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Would the Rockets Draft Position End Up the Same If We Had Traded for Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 26, 2021.

?

Draft Position Roughly the Same With Simmons

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

lieutenant general tank platoon

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I think that the Simmons/Philly deal would have locked the Rockets in on a trajectory to mirror the treadmill years of the late 00's / early 10's. I loved a lot about those teams, but would not be looking forward to several years of considering getting to the playoffs as the best possible outcome. I would much rather see a proper rebuild.

Let's just hope that Tilly doesn't get impatient and start demanding Westbrook-esque trades.

don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Simmons would have been just good enough to ensure the Rockets had no chance at keeping their own pick. They'd get the Miami pick for sure which would set the team back quite a bit.

baller4life315 likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Stop pushing your opinion as fact.

No one knows what would have happened if Simmons + Thybulle were traded to Rockets.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I always want people to feel free to foolishly disagree with my correct opinions....but it's best that when they do so, they at least have the courage to put forward an opinion of their own to counter it. I see you came up a bit short there.

If the Rockets made that trade, best case scenario is they are a fringe playoff team. The current team was built around Harden, he was the linchpin that held everything together. Simmons could not come close to holding down that responsibility. Since I have to spell out what I'm saying for people like you, the most likely scenario would be the Rockets somewhere close to a fringe playoff team. They'd be caught in that glut between the 7-13 seed.....and they'd still have a very hard schedule to overcome.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My opinion. Simmons is pretty underrated around here.

But, seeing as we are stuck with Wall, I think it’s likely we took the right deal.

I also think there is a better chance than not that Simmons ends up being a better individual talent than any single player that comes of all these draft picks.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

More gobbledygook.

Ben Simmons trade package would have been better for Rockets in terms of young talent acquisition than Oladipo package. Period.

But Rockets still do not win many games because of roster construction. Simmons needs to be surrounded by 4 shooters to maximize his efficiency.

Rockets did not and still do not have those shooters on the roster.

And finally, Wall presence on the team would have ensured the tank. Especially in conjunction with the enabling by Silas.

8. HROZ

HROZ Member

We don't own our pick.

Tanking with a best chance case of 50% owning our pick is incredibly risky and probably stupid.

Inheritly there's a 50% chance we get the same pick with Simmons (Miami's)

Then you gotta work out lottery odds.
    There's still a chance we drop out of the bottom 3 teams this season.
    What record do we get with Simmons.
    Personally I have high hopes for Simmons & think we would be competing for a playoff spot with him.

Wood Simmons with Wall as our 3rd option would've been a good team, better than Memphis imo. Though obviously injuries could've still been an issue.

#68 HROZ, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yes because Simmons would have came here with the similar entitled mindset that Oladipo had and played like ****.

10. dmoneybangbang

Getting Ben Simmons would take us out of the high lottery pick race and would put us back into competition. The 2020 season would have been a transition season where we compete for the playoffs/play-in while shuffling and reshaping the team.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's the alternative? Not tanking, missing the playoffs and having 0% chance of a lottery pick?

If I told you that you had a 50% chance of winning a million dollars if you paid me $100K, would you do it?

(The answer is yes, based on data alone.)

The expected payout of a 50% chance at $1M is $500K.
    The expected payout of a 0% chance at $1M is $0.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. napalm06

Would Ben Simmons have magically made our team have healthy non-scrub big men and made all of the wings and guards shoot 3s at an NBA average clip?

(No)

We still would've tanked, or worse, finished bottom 10-12.

D-rock likes this.
  13. HROZ

HROZ Member

Having a stud like Simmons is the alternative.

We are tanking to get a Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  14. napalm06

I see. In that case I don't agree that Simmons is a franchise centerpiece guard, but I see where you're coming from.

15. dmoneybangbang

If we took the Simmons package, you'd have to move John Wall either this season or wait until next offseason. We have given up a pick to move contracts before and we'd have to do the same here.

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

I realise our disagreement is on Simmons.
    Just checking whether it's the shooting issue?
    Do you agree his shooting is slowly developing and when it comes along he's going to be unstoppable.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Moving John Wall is always the optimum goal, regardless of which Harden trade package was chosen.

Wall is horrible fit for Rockets system.

18. napalm06

I think he would've been a much better return than freaking Dipo, yes.

Simmons assist to turnover ratio is 8 to 3.5 (2.28) every year consistently, thats pretty mediocre for a floor general. Westbrick was 7-4.5 (1.55, historically bad) and Chris Paul was 8-2.2 (3.63, excellent) while they were here as a barometer. And those were veteran teams, this team would have more turnovers for sure.

I just feel that with a walking free throw machine in Embiid, the 6ers should have had more success in a weak East if Simmons was the real deal. Pulling him over to the floundering Rockets and depending on him to blossom seems like a high risk low upside move to me.

19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

It says a lot when the only saving grace for a trade is that we are so bad we have a coin flips chance of keeping our heavily underprotected pick

In terms of value the philly trade was just flat out better

D-rock likes this.
  20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

not being in the bottom 4 does not mean you have 0 chance at a top 4 pick in the same way being bottom 4 does not mean you are assured one