1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I mean my initial post responding to the Harden to Brooklyn trade was basically just me screaming NOOOOOOOOO. This time, I decided to be positive. Enough negativity here, I wanted to try to set a tone, instead I got about 10 responses explaining why I was an idiot and DJ Wilson sucks and Stone got finagled.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

True...

When wall is playing Augustine is insurance and can play off of KPJ as a shooter... if we re-route him now that’s cool too.

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

True - that’s why I wished the Rockets would add to their scouting department... the scouting is key.

But, the more picks we have higher in the draft the better our chances at getting guys the scouts and FO love, not just like

D-rock, saleem and BamBam like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

A quick update on our picks:

Detroit 1st (top 16 protected)
    Portland 1st (top 14 protected)
    Milwaukee 1st (top 9 protected)
    Houston or Miami 1st (top 4 protected)

Houston 1st
    Brooklyn 1st (unprotected)

Houston 1st
    Washington 1st (top 14 protected)
    Milwaukee 1st (unprotected)
    Brooklyn Swap

Houston 1st (top 10 protected)
    Brooklyn Swap

Houston 1st
    Brooklyn Swap

The Detroit pick is really more of a 2024 or 2025 pick given the protections. Washington is probably similar.

If I’m Stone, I’m trying to unload the Milwaukee (2021) and Portland picks in the form of future assets. It could be a player that could net you more picks in the future, or straight up for FRPs in 2023 and beyond.

5. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I will always think of PJ Tucker in that category of Rockets players who came in, worked hard and got their job done. I hope that this move works out well for him.

As far as the Rockets go with a PJ trade, here is where I stood on it:

Fear: Buyout and he walks to a team like the Nets without the Rockets getting compensation.
    Expected: a Second Round Pick
    Hope: That one of the contenders would pony up a late first round pick

So based on that, my expectations for the PJ trade were exceeded. I am not factoring in the players as I am not seeing them as long-term parts of the Rockets plans. The picks are what matters, and between the swap and dropping from 2022 to 2023, this trade was very successful in my eyes.

I have read several comments about the value of a late first vs. an early second. As Rockets fans of the Morey era I think that we were all conditioned to place a lot of value on the late second over the first; but that was as much a product of situation as anything.

For a contending team with a frugal owner and a salary cap pushing the limit, the flexibility that comes with a second round pick in that area of the draft made more sense. For this current Rockets team I would think that getting a player in that same range locked into a contract and not having to use the MLE is a far more appropriate use of a pick.

This isn't a team that needs the value of a Chandler Parsons or Toni Kucoc with an early second round pick. This team needs to hoping for a Jimmy Butler or Tony Parker type in the late first.

joshuaao, D-rock, saleem and 8 others like this.
  6. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

A W that will lead to many more Ls

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

We own 13 first round picks and 4 pick swaps over the next 7 years, and have a young core of KPJ, Wood, KJM and Tate.

0-18 hurts, but that is the kind of bounty that gives you hope. Would much rather be us than a team like the Knicks.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't see much down side in it . . .

Rocket River

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bye Felicia!

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is an ok trade. Not a homerun and not a stinker. You take a flier on DJ Wilson as a backup C. I don't have high hopes but ok.

You move up from ~ 33 to 25 in the draft. 8 spots isn't insignificant in a deep draft.
    Moving back a year 2022 to 2023 is good. A better chance at a better MIL draft spot and it could be the infamous "double draft." This now gives the Rockets 2 FRPs in 2022 and 2 FRP in 2023. More optionality and spreads things out.

Tucker is a good get for MIL. They needed to make a move and didn't have much to offer.

I think we all were hoping to get a young core piece type player. We didn't. Wilson is kinda meh. But the draft wrinkles are decent.

LOVED PJ Tucker here in Houston. Loved what he brought to the franchise and everything he did. He was durable and available. He will always be one of my favorite Rockets. His play in the playoffs going after 50/50 balls was inspirational!

HP3, D-rock, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How do you know he is Meh? Seems like he has been behind a lot of veterans - has he ever had a shot? Could he be another Christian Wood?

DD

groovemachine and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is exactly the type of post I would expect from you.

HP3, D-rock, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He is a FRP that hasn't cracked the rotation in 3 years. Sure, maybe he could turn out good. We'll see. But he has been meh so far. He will get a chance here for sure. It is up to him.

D-rock likes this.
  14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed on the general sentiment, but to be fair to the Knicks they’ve really recovered quite well after years of mismanagement.

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bravo. Best post of the thread. So eloquently done.

Wooderson likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

It has the same protections as the 2022 pick, I was wrong.. neither is protected

HP3, saleem and ElPigto like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks Nook. I have a lot of respect for you.

HP3, hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He also is going to be a free agent. He is primarily included to make the trade work and to satisfy the Bucks salary issues.

It really comes down to how much you think taking on Augustine is and how much you value moving up a handful of spots in 2021 and pushing the 2022 pick to 2023.

I have viewed Augustine as a negative assets, what the Rockets would have gotten for taking on Augustine’s deal is close to what the Rockets got in this deal including Tucker. That is why I believe the Rockets really didn’t get anything.

I am a big fan of the 2021 and 2022 draft classes so pushing back the pick to 2023 doesn’t do a whole lot for me personally.

Now, there is discussion of the Rockets possibly dealing Augustine to a third team for value, then that changes the equation potentially.

As for Augustine the player, we already have Wall and want to get Porter as many minutes at point guard as possible so I see him playing as a negative. I would rather play and develop a young player.

I am fine with the trade, and applaud the obvious effort involved to do it.

joshuaao, HP3, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, chin up. We might still find a sucke....um, another team to take on Augustine, whether now or in the off-season.
    I don't think his arrival will affect Porter's minutes at all. Maybe Augustine will get some run because Wall seems to constantly have a "sore knee".

Nook and baller4life315 like this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I feel like yesterday I was watching Acie Law battle DJ Augustine and Kevin Durant. How is DJ 33???

vator and hakeem94 like this.