1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[POLL] First to worst: Who's mostly to blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who's most at fault for our fast slide to oblivion?

1. Harden

2. Tilman

3. Morey

4. Stone

5. MDA

6. Silas

7. CP3

8. Westbrook

9. Wall & Oladipo

10. Tracy "It's on me" McGrady

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anything other than Tilman means you are a Harden hater the likes of fchowd0311 or just mentally deficient.

3. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

And all of this after getting paid that fat contract. Massively underperforming after that would get you in the shitlist of the cheapass owner that's already pissed off he had to shill that much to begin with.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Yes, Tillman; but Harden and Morey cannot get a pass.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I see it as:

Tilman not paying to keep a championship team together, making moves to cut costs rather than to win, criticizes morey on the china tweet, lets his son push the Westbrook trade through, presents an insulting offer to MDA to make it look like the coach wanted out rather than the team couldn't afford him.

all of this left morey wanting out. his job was to cut costs not to build a winner. his coach was going to be replaced. he was not publicly supported by his employer. he doesn't want to work here anymore. I can't blame him.

James sees more and more roster spots occupied by minimum salary players. the team increasingly relies on him to carry them every possession. they get worse each year, and thanks to himself pushing for the Westbrook trade there is no way to improve the team. he sees his coach is next in line to be replaced by a minimum salary guy. he sees his gm bounce. nothing left for him here and asks out. I don't blame him for wanting out either.

I can easily see how an owner with the funds and desire to win, brings back ariza in 2019 or at least replaces him with an MLE guy. turn down the ridiculous Westbrook trade and get James/Paul some marriage counseling. maybe be able to afford firing MDA after 2019 and hiring a big time replacement, instead of letting him coach out his contract with him and the players knowing he was leaving. maybe not trading our only center to go microball just to avoid the tax (lets not believe it was ONLY to go 5-out for rus). if that was the owner we had, morey and harden would still want to be here. Paul would be an all star for us this year. capela would still be here. we might have upgraded MDA to someone like Vogel, Lue, doc. we'd probably have competed for a championship last year and probably again this year. and if any year from 2018-2021 that owner decided to pay the tax, that would've been our championship year. if he decided to pay the tax 2-3 times and then avoid the repeater, we would've had 2-3 championships.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. payaso

payaso Member

Yeah... he's kind of the less oafish Donald Trump- craftier and slipperier. He's Uncle Sid from the Ernie comic strip.

But Tilman is the perfect example of hubris born of TV "stardom" - he thought his CNBC schtick would win him more eyes and $$$ to his hospitality business, and decided on a route of think big, be big. Bought a toy and treated it as just another cost center in his "empire"... how'd that work out?

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/billionaire-news/the-richest-people-in-houston/

I have to ask- could a local group get Richard Kinder to help leverage the team out from under the saloon buffoon?

D-rock likes this.
  7. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I voted Morey, he was the GM and was one of the main reasons who let Harden run all over him. Also the news lately about him knowing there was no pleasing Harden before this season because the remaining resources were pretty much thin so the writing was on the wall and he bailed.

I love Morey and he was a great GM but at the end of the day he was making the deals and he mortgaged the future to please his star and then quit when he realized there is nothing left to do.

Its easy to vote for Tilman but the Rockets culture catering to Harden was done before Tilman bought the team. Tillman’s cheap moves may have just expedited what was inevitable.