1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meyers Leonard may be getting ready to have a rough day...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OmegaSupreme, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's pretty toxic, but can't you mute every opponent?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

It was a lot worse than I was expecting after reading the headline. Dude really F’ed up. It was such a hateful tone. He even paused before he said it bc he knew it was messed up. I wonder what other words he thought about during that pause before he landed on what he did.

UTSA2step likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

"...properly committed to seeking out people who can help educate me about this type of hate..."

Yeah, right. I bet he's just gonna donate like 20k-30k or something to relevant groups and call it good. And then everyone is going to forget about this sooner or later because he's a benchwarmer (not important enough to be remembered) for the NBA and he donated money (which does talk).

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Of course you can mute it for yourself but then they're still saying it to each other and the toxic culture is being bred. You spared yourself from hearing it now but these kids are hearing these things and bringing them to their every day lives.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Surprisingly, I've never heard that word and had no idea what it meant. He certainly could have heard someone say that in the game and repeated it without knowing. Lesson for everyone is don't repeat words that you don't have a clue what it means.

He did what he needed to after realizing and I think our world right now needs to look for reasons to not be offended rather than finding reasons to be offended. I think his explanation and apology is sincere and truthful, and I hope people can take that for what it's worth (doubt it though).

I try to teach my kid this because it is easy to find reasons to be upset in today's culture. If given a legitimate reason to be forgiving, we should take it (as in this case and many other cases), understanding that sometimes the person doesn't give a good reason to be forgiven, and outrage/cancel could be warranted.

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm as much of an SJW as anyone. I passionately support a whole slew of "snowflake" agendas... But I gotta say, if he really didn't know what that word meant, it would be a shame if this really hurt his career IMO. It may be an honest mistake that he's genuinely remorseful about.

... And it's not difficult for me to believe he didn't know what it meant since I'm in my 30s, consider myself fairly well educated and socially adjusted, and I unless I just didn't understand him, I don't think I ever heard that word before today. Then again, not even knowing the word is different from knowing the word, being comfortable saying it publicly, and not knowing it's meaning. He does need to be more careful, but he doesn't need to be burned at the stake.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Two gentile men cross each other on the street, one asks the other, how's business? The other responds, terrific!

Jontro likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

confused

so if he didn't know what the word meant, why was he using it again? it seems like he's so used to hearing and saying it.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah and think about every time he has to go against a Jewish player now. They are going to be coming at him hard for sure!

snowconeman22 and JumpMan like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are already owning him on Call of Duty

11. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

How to apologize like a pro (espn)

Use the following time-tested and PR-approved apology techniques to get out of any sticky situation -- from slander to slush money. You'll learn the ins-and-outs of apologizing just like your favorite collegiate and professional athletes do.

The Kellen Winslow Method, Part One: Expressing Regret

The Apology: "After speaking with the press, I immediately regretted my comments and felt embarrassed for my family, my team, the University of Miami, our fans, alumni and myself."

Miami's Kellen Winslow Jr. says he has learned from his mistakes -- a key admission.
    How It Works:
    It's critical to express embarrassment on behalf of your team, company, wife, kids, aunt, uncle, dry cleaner. Tears are helpful as well, but not required (see Dick Vermeil).

The Kellen Winslow Method, Part Two: The Learning Experience

The Apology: "What I have learned from this experience is to take my triumphs and failures in stride. My outburst should in no shape or form be a reflection on this institution or the Miami football program."

How It Works: Try to express the fact that every irresponsible and damaging thing you've ever done is simply a learning experience, like homework. And most importantly, you'll need to absolve your employer (in this case, Miami football) of any responsibility for your embarrassing actions.

The Jeremy Shockey Method: The Blanket Pseudo-Apology

The Apology: "I guess I do regret saying it. I didn't think anyone was going to make a big deal out of it. I'm not prejudiced against anybody's beliefs or what they do in their off time. I do regret saying something like that. Whatever I did to offend people, I apologize."

How It Works: The blanket pseudo-apology gets you off the public hook without actually making a pride-killing apology. Also, the blanket, 'whatever I did to offend anybody' statement clears you of any further responsibility.

The Mike Price Method: The Stripper Apology

The Apology: "Over the past several days, I have been saddened by the rumors that have been swirling about my conduct. I have had numerous truthful and honest discussions with the president and our athletic director, Mal Moore -- our fine athletic director, Mal Moore, who has dedicated many, many years of service to this university and I was proud to have been picked by him."

How It Works: The key here is to gratuitously compliment the people who hold your job in their hands. Also, it is important to shift the blame to everyone else by expressing "sadness" over the rumors that you helped create.

Pete Rose refused to apologize when interviewed by Jim Gray.
    The Rasheed Wallace/Damon Stoudamire Method: The Coach Apology

The Apology: "They're deeply sorry for what happened, as we all are."

How It Works:
    Why apologize yourself when you can get your coach (in this case, Maurice Cheeks), who likely makes a pittance compared to you, do it for you?

The Pete Rose Method: The Non-Apology

The Apology: "No, no, Jim, not at all. I'm not going to admit to something that didn't happen. I know you get tired of hearing me say that, but I appreciate the ovation. I appreciate the American fans voting me on that All-Century team. I'm just a small part of a big deal tonight."

How It Works: Rose uses a technique that we like to call "not apologizing at all." And then he takes special care to turn the conversation back around to the love we all feel for him. This method might keep you out of baseball, but it will land you plenty of opportunities to sit at card shows in cities like Bettendorf, IA, where you can sign your autograph.

The Larry Eustachy Method: The Co-ed Apology

The Apology: "With the support of my family and friends, I will do everything in my power to make sure my actions reflect highly upon this university and this state."

How It Works: ... and the state of Kansas, as well, where the girls are "hotter." Eustachy was fired six days later.

The Chris McAlister Method: The Ongoing Apology

The Apology: "I've already apologized and am still apologizing to a lot of my teammates for what happened last weekend. Billick hit it this weekend, he hit it [yesterday] with the media, and my teammates have talked about it. It's something that we're moving forward, going past."

How It Works: When in doubt, keep apologizing. And talk about how important it is to "move forward" and "put this behind you."

The Allen Iverson Method: The Legalese/Promotional Apology

The Apology: "If individuals of the gay community and women of the world are offended by any of the material in my upcoming album, let the record show that I wish to extend a profound apology."

How It Works: While apologizing, take special care to mention your upcoming album, book or movie. Make the media work for you. And remember, going on record now saves a lot of heartache later.

Sometimes you can apologize and promote your new album at the same time.

The Jimmy Swaggart Method: The Media Appreciation Apology

The Apology: "And I also want to express appreciation to the entire media everywhere, but especially here in Baton Rouge -- Channels 9, 2, and 33, the newspapers, the radio stations. They've been hard, but they have been fair."

How It Works:
    ... and you'll find a nice buffet available in the press room at no charge. Best to add tears to this apology.

Instructions:
    Using one phrase from each group listed below, craft your own professional athlete apology for personal use.

Group 1:

- I would like to apologize first and foremost to my fans.

- I would like to apologize to my teammates and absolve my team of any responsibility.

- I would like to apologize to alumni of this fine institution of higher learning.

- I would like to apologize to my family.

Group 2:

- The drugs were not mine, but I still take full responsibility for my actions.

- It was not my intention to physically assault ________.

- I truly do not know how the roughly $15,000 of stereo equipment got into my vehicle.

Group 3:

- The most important thing now is to put this issue behind us.

- We need to move forward as a team, starting right now.

- It's now time to focus on winning.

Example: I would like to apologize first and foremost to my fans. The drugs were not mine, but I still take full responsibility for my actions. The most important thing now is to put this issue behind us.

AroundTheWorld, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think this will be the end of Meyers' basketball career. Not because of cancel culture running amok but because he's only played in 3 games and averaged 9 mins this season. He was barely worth the roster spot before and now this baggage makes him completely not worth it. People will look at this and say it's cancel culture going too far but really the guy was a borderline NBA player as is and any strike would've been enough to push him out.

AroundTheWorld and UTSA2step like this.
  14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

How can he not know the meaning of the word. First he knew it was an insult second he pauses before saying. Plus with where he grew up around. He knew the word and it’s meaning.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

In public lobby, there's an option to mute all. It's the way to go.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

Different groups have that one word that's really bad. For Jewish folks, it's that 'k' word. It's a really offensive word.

If these words just roll off Meyers' tongue, he should really look in the mirror.

#76 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    UTSA2step, Patience and vlaurelio like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i heard from a source that the other words he was contemplating during the second pause were poo-poo head, cootie face, and butt pirate. he would've gotten it from other communities with whichever word he picked.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think that's just slang for "Hello wonderful chap! Top of the morning to ya" in COD. I think you get banned from COD if you don't use racial slurs in voice chat as well.

lakersuck2 and Jontro like this.
  19. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

20. dischead

dischead Member

It's rumoured Mel Gibson is his real dad.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.