1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] WHAT’S THE MOVE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Feb 1, 2021.

?

What’s the move for this season?

1. Roll the dice. Keep Tucker/Dipo past the deadline for playoffs. Allow one or both to expire in FA

11 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Stay in asset accumulation mode. We’ll regret not flipping Tucker, Gordon, Oladipo, etc. for assets

50 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Go all in. Trade young pieces/picks for a Zach LaVine caliber player to maximize this opportunity

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Keep it simple. Trade Tucker and/or House for picks and a taller PF.

52 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is this safe to say?

Why do you think we can make some noise in the playoffs?

What playoff teams have we beaten?

What teams have we beaten who were not down several rotation players.

Yes we are at a crossroads but I don't know about all of this safe to make the playoffs talk.

HP3 and sydmill like this.
  2. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Tough question! I kinda think you try to keep Tucker/Dipo with this group if you can thru this year. If moves have to be made it’s House/Gordon IMO. Gordon because you now have KPJ to take his role (determined by what he does in G-League) and House well because it’s a good contract for filler/value. I would love to see another stretch four that can bridge minutes between Wood and Boogie or a significant size/talent upgrade at the 3 spot.

With all that said I think Tucker has proven his value with this group defensively. Also his work ethic and locker room presence will be a plus for a younger guys like Porter, Jones, Tate, Martin, and Thomas.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think think we have a choice, but to trade Oladipo. I doubt the Rockets plan on resigning him to a long term contract, and we won't want to lose him for nothing. Maybe a sign and trade is an option at the end of the year? I figure we'd get the most trading him to a deep that wants him to help make a run in this year's playoffs. Of course, I could be all wrong about this and the Rockets are thinking about signing him long-term.

PJ Tucker's standalone value is probably a second round pick. If we can package him with Oladipo to make a deal work I'd do it. But if we're just getting a late second round pick for him, then he'd be more valuable as a locker room presence for the remainder of this season.

Eric Gordon would most likely cost us a pick due to his contract. I would definitely be open to offers for him that gets him off the books ASAP, but not at the expense of a first round pick. I'd rather he just stick around as a veteran presence. Maybe if he still has some value he could net us something in two seasons when he is an expiring.

Danuel House best case is a second round pick. I'm fine just getting rid of him for peanuts after his antics.

HP3 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Winner, winner..... chicken dinner.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You'd need a 12th man only forum.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Oladipo: Must trade if frp is offered, should get more. He is gone and even 1 FRP is better than a first round flameout or a bad contract going forward. Only exception is if he will sign an extension right now for 23 million or less.

House: trade for frp or if you need him in a bundled deal. Anything less, keep Good role player with potential to improve, good contract.

Tucker: trade for anything. Don’t need, won’t resign.

Gordan: trade for any positive asset and expiring contracts. Trading for cap space, his inconsistency, and injury history.

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Extend Dipo 3yrs/$75m with the third year being a player option. Can do 2yrs/$50 with the 2nd season a player option if he prefers that route.

PHI IN: PJ & McLemore
    ORL IN: Exum, Thybull and 2 FRPs
    HOU IN: AG

DET IN: 1 SRP
    HOU IN: Rose (absorbed into the Harden TPE)

Wall/Rose/Jones
    Oladipo/Gordon/Porter
    Tate/House/Brown
    AG/Nwaba/Martin
    Wood/Cousins/Kurucs

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Like most of this, but don’t know why Sixers do it. Thybull worth more that PJ and McClemore. I’m assuming the 2 firsts are from Houston and would only do for some of our least favorable. I would take this deal from a Rockets perspective, although I don’t think Gordan is a great a fit since Harden left, as long as the picks we give up are shitty.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I fail to see why we are at "The Crossroads" right now on February 1st when the trade deadline is March 25th.

The Rockets need to keep all options on the table. If the team surges, and is looking to be in the 6 to 8th seed, then you do not trade Dipo & PJ at the deadline. You owe it to Wall, Boogie, Wood, etc. to play in for the win, and let the city enjoy a playoff run even if it's unlikely we win the first round.

There's ALOT of time for this team to also have major injuries (heaven forbid) or to drop off the playoff map. Stone is surely working on potential trades to move PJ at the deadline. Dipo... maybe but I think they want to try and resign him on a team friendly deal this Summer, and role with that risk that he signs elsewhere on a max deal, and we just let him walk. If the market dries up for him, and the Rockets can resign on a decent deal, that's also worth the risk that you might lose out on one first rounder or 2 Seconds at the deadline or whatever you might be lucky enough to get.

The "Crossroads" really isn't till March 24, and it likely doesn't include any real decision on Dipo. It really just involves trading PJ Tucker which signals we don't think we can make the playoffs.

10. Sanity2disChaos

I think the only thing you can do is get YOUNGER!!

I like Dipo, Tuck and Gordon but they are not going to pair well in the long run with Woods.

Wall may stick for another year or two as he has some fresh legs it appears!!

11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

It’s safe to say because despite all the injuries, the COVID issues, the Harden drama, and the WOW factor only playing together for 3 games, we are just ONE game out of the 5 spot.

We already have a top 5 defense. Imagine what this team will look like as our offense continues to improve.

So yes, it’s safe to say.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We have just passed the quarter mark of the season and just got over 500.

We are also TWO games out of the 13th spot and all of the NBA has has covid and injury issues.

Our defense has feasted on teams that have been undermanned doo to covid and injuries lets see how we do after the midway mark and the schedule toughens up.

Take a look at the record of the teams we have beaten.

13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

All picks would come from Rockets. Which ones they would need to use are debatable. The 76ers would have to send out some salary to take back McLemore who is someone I think they would want. Maybe they send out a lesser player and a SRP instead.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think the answer is unknowable until March. Let's see if/when we start losing games again then reevaluate. If we go undefeated until the deadline obviously you stand pat. If we're below .500 by then, you wheel and deal. I don't know the potential of this team yet.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Unfortunately, Mac is not even in our rotation and Tucker is not performing well. We won’t get Thybul based on them. It will all depend on the picks. I like Precious for dipo and expirings for Dipo. Just don’t think 76ers will cooperate in your deal.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don’t usually let internet grammar bug me but this one was funny.

Give the devil his doo hahaha

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'm happy to trade Dipo as we have Gordon Nwaba Brown all willing to step into the SG spot.

I hope we trade McLemore for a 3rd string C.

And Dipo or Gordon for a rotation worth forward. (Dipo getting other assets).

18. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

This debate is practically me looking at it half full vs you looking at it half empty. We’ll just have to wait and see.

But according to CF, we don’t play any real contenders in the next 20 games LOL. So I guess we’ll never find out :confused:

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think options 2 and 4 are not mutually exclusive in your poll?

We could potentially flip Tucker plus bits for a taller PF while remaining in asset accumulation mode (ie that PF could be an asset?)

Oladipo can even be moved for assets via SnT in the off-season - probably get more now, but a tea with no cap flexibility might pay picks to swap other contracts to get him

20. jjc1

jjc1 Member

PJ for sure will be gone by the deadline. He just doesn't fit with this team anymore. At this point I don't think we can get a FRP for PJ but I hope we can get a younger PF/C in return.

Phoenix wants to win now with CP3 and to keep Booker happy. Will they take PJ and send us Saric? Saric is 26 and just signed a reasonable 3 years deal at $9m per.

Utah is over the tax line by $2.5m. Will they take PJ and send us Ingles which will put them under the tax? Ingles is 32 so not that young but he may fit better than PJ on this Rocket team and help us with the playoff push.