1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans will not want the face of their franchise and the QB of their team to be someone that really doesn’t want to be a Texan.... he has removed any reference to the Texans from his social media. They will not want him speaking to reporters during camp (which he would skip anyways). Watson can get really nasty about this if necessary... which is why the Texans will deal him when they are internally convinced the relationship cannot be repaired.

2. Texanstradamus

If they don’t get the right deal he gone be stuck so that’s a moot point they have a team Chaplin running around like he pac you actually think they care about bad press from not trading Watson ? They don’t even care about easterby harassing ppl in the organization and hell if it gets nasty that’s good maybe it gets easterby fired if it’s really bad

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I do think they care, and more importantly Easterby cares because he doesn’t want a QB in the building that wants him fired. They will end up trading Watson once it is clear Deshaun isn’t going to suddenly change his mind.... the Texans will try to sell their fans on some QB they draft and “all the picks”

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

The only way I even think of trading Watson is if I get triple of what the Lions did for Stafford.

5. magman

magman Member

The last few moves they've had, leaves me with little confidence that they would get a good deal.

I feel like we are past the point of no return with changing Watson's mind, and I hate that it got to this point.

I don't think this is magically going to resolve itself, and don't think Watson will just show up and just work anymore.

Texans better do their due diligence, but they've ****ed up at every turn recently, so not holding my breath on this ending nicely.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Caserio is not going to do a bad deal. He was not here for previous trades.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Most teams' search for a franchise QB takes 5+ years. Sometimes significantly longer.

I'm not letting Watson go for fewer than 5 first rounders and a smattering of second, third, and fourths.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Given the fact that Watson created all of this drama well after knowing how inept the front office is... the real motivation for wanting out of Houston is to go play for a winner immediately. He just copied James Harden's move. The smoke about Easterby and Cal is just cover to make himself look like less of a bish. The facts make clear that's the case (or lack of specifics regarding why he's mad at the front office). He needs a devil - a scapegoat - a monster - to deflect attention and justify his bish move. He got Andre Johnson to run cover for him, his 'media team' (brand agency) ran with some general, unspecific accusations towards Easterby and Cal (proof please? and not the bad trades - that was already well known before signing the contract), and he got the national media to fall in line (they want future interviews... and are almost always sympathetic to disgruntled players). Presto, you have the cover needed to now demand a trade and pull a bish move on the Houston fanbase without negative repercussions.

Now with watching Harden get traded to contending Nets, and Stafford traded to the LA Rams... Watson is going to want to go straight to a contender. 49ers would probably fit the most for him. For us it's obviously another story. I hope he gets to sit out a year, forego a lot of money, and then comes crawling back looking to reconcile... unless we get the absolute biggest trade haul in the history of sport, making the Herschel Walker trade look cheap, then I say sit his a$$ until he learns how to honor a (recently-signed) contract.

#1108 El_Conquistador, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Unfortunately, once the train is out of the station, Watson gains a tremendous amount of leverage because of the NTC.

Ideally, the Texans are going to want to trade with a *bad* team (higher picks, now & future) - Watson can block that. Dealing with better teams mean the picks won't be as good, especially once the team gets Watson under center.

The Texans needs to tell Watson he has two options: 1) stay; 2) waive his NTC clause and let them maximize his value.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#2 might be more realistic if Watson truly is at the "anywhere but here" point of no return.

Hey Now! likes this.
  11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The only way Deshaun can get his way is if he provides a LIST of teams who realistically have something to offer in a trade. I think the Jets have the best package to offer and I think the interest between Deshaun and Saleh is real. Yes, Deshaun wants to compete but his agent has also sold him on the marketing/endorsement opportunities in NYC. Miami has a stockpile of draft picks too.

I could envision a scenario where the Texans make a trade for the Jets package including the number 2 pick and several other 1st rd picks. If the Texans don’t absolutely love Wilson or Fields, they could trade back and gain even more Draft Capital, tank next year, and potentially have 2 top 5 picks in the 2022 draft and maybe even 4 1st rd picks in 2022.

Not sure how the QBs will shape up for 2022 draft but if we lose Deshaun I’d embrace the tank and hope we can use the next year to repair the organization’s image and somehow get rid of easterby and someone steps in to stop Cal. Wishful thinking I know....

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If Deshaun is gone, the Texans' 1 and only priority has to be acquiring as much draft capital as humanly possible.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Do the Jets have a good young player? 3 Jet FRP alone is not enough.

mikol13, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Q. Williams

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, 3 FRPs plus players was what the “experts” were saying before the Stafford trade. If anything the price has gone up significantly. Watson is better than Stafford and way younger.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Even with Q (who I would love) it’s going to take more than 3 firsts. They can throw in their seconds this year and next too

Rudyc281 and Hank McDowell like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

With Q I would take all their firsts and 2nds this year and next plus a third in 2023.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Then he sits.

20. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

whomever get Watson, it's first rounder will be less attractive.
    I will need a good player + 4 FRP + 2 SRP + 2 TRP to trade Watson.

JayZ750 and cmoak1982 like this.