1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka and Devin, we’re watching you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 30, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Luka is great and all....but if Luka could play in a bigger market with a better team, he might just do it. Do you really think that Silas is gonna deter him from that?

I would love to steal him from the Mavs. We just need like 1 All NBA player....like a really solid piece. And we could use our assets to trade for him maybe if he wants out.....but we need "that dude" here first.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know, just giving a reason as to why he might.

Houston has had no issues attracting big stars and have done so historically more than the LA Clippers and New York Knicks.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

If we had one "guy" here.....it might work. But I think we would have to keep our draft capital. And probably tank one year to get "the guy."

I mean the Knicks have been a joke for awhile now, but the Clippers? Ehhh I dont really see it.

Nook likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Clippers only recently started to attract stars but before no one wanted to go there, it was a graveyard. Just goes to show you players do factor in how much they respect a franchise.

We'd never get Luka through trade. Cuban wouldn't do it. No way, no how, Dallas is too big of a rival for that and Cuban is a fan himself I can't see him ever doing it through trade so we'd have to wait a while for that.

but I think luka would come here, sure. If Wood becomes a dominant big I'm sure he'll attract someone.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Luka is a lifer. No way he leaves Dallas. Booker should be the target

6. HP3

HP3 Member

What happens when you are a well run organization in LA though?

Then I dont see how he comes here in FA. Unless Woods becomes Anthony Davis, Joel Embid, Nikola Jokic level, and if that happens, I will drop the tanking idea right now. I hope he is.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the same thing happens if you are a well built team in Houston...History shows that Houston can attract stars.

Besides, there is a cap. Only so many people can go to LA and both of those teams are filled.

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Creepy stalker like.

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Do Devon and Luka have dream potential?

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Does history really show that?

If Lebron retries in 3 years, we are gonna have a problem.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sure.

The Rockets have gotten CP3, Westbrook, Dwight, just during the Harden era. Before had Tmac.

I'm not sure where the idea has come from that NBA players despise Houston, the opposite is actually true.

So if you build it, they will come. Houston isn't Utah. I'd say it is a 2nd tier market behind LA-NY, those are the only first tier markets.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

How likely is a player going to jump ship from Dallas to Houston? I know Morey has asked about Dirk before, but I just can't imagine Luka not having the ability to pick several different teams to win championships and letting Dallas pick the best. Kind of like the Harden + 76ers/Nets situation.

Devin Booker though....

HP3, JayGoogle and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Horny Christians on a slow Sunday?

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or you tank and your team culture goes to crap because all you do is lose, and then you draft an Anthony Edwards or an Anthony Bennett over and over and over and you suck for decades and no one wants to play for a tanking/loser franchise in FA.

There are multiple teams stuck in the tank and pray cyclone and have been there for years.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I don't think we'd get Luka. Cuban would never trade him to us.

I do think someone will go play with AD, Booker is probably LA bound.

I think Donovan Mitchell is someone you can look at. Plays in a smaller market and has already had issues with Gobert. If they have another hard playoff exit he might be ready to bolt.

Pringles and Mr Woods like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

CP3, Dwight, and Russ came because of Harden, they wouldn’t have come otherwise

Dwight wanted nothing to do with Houston before we got James

Amid a report that stated the Houston Rockets are hoping to amass enough trade assets to make a deal with the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard–even though Howard would only be in Houston for one season before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 — a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance” Howard would bepersuaded to remain in Houston if traded there,and would leave next summer to sign elsewhere.

T-Mac was a trade.

players will come if there is already another star in place, but they will not come as the 1st star willingly

either u believe Christian Wood will be that star that attracts other stars, or we don’t have that guy and need to get him 1st

Pringles and HP3 like this.
  17. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

You are just a constant whiney b**** with nothing but negative stuff to say. I mean move on if the team disgusts you that much now. They are talking about 2 years down the line anyways.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This whole thread is a huge reach but his relationship with Silas plus teaming up with Wood is about as good as any other situation or reason out there for a young star to link up. He was complaining about his teammates not getting after it and we’ve got some young dogs here too.

Mr Woods and JayGoogle like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's what I'm saying though. Unless you are NY or LA (And even then, you can't be a dumpster fire like the Clippers and Knicks have been for long stretches of time) players are only interested in playing in good situations. No one is interested in going to Chicago even though it's a major market for example and it is the 3rd biggest market after LA and NY.

I believe Wood could be that star. Is it likely? Becoming a superstar is always unlikely but he's good enough that I wouldn't be putting ceilings on what he can or can't do. I think the only reason people do is because of his road to the NBA isn't traditional.

20. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I ant gone lie, Houston is like the Lakers of the South minus the Titles.. We always manage to bring in Star Players.. Got to count on Stone to make the right decisions in the next few years.. Keep an eye on Gianna most of all, I feel like next year he gone try to force his way out