1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Pretty much what do you expect of trolls.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Pretty much.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I’m standing by waiting for progressives to walk by then I’ll slap a “compromise” sign on their back and evade for self defense measures

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

A judge outlines in a court document why he denied bond for the father and son charged in the death of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery.

Following a two-day hearing last month, Chatham County Judge Timothy Walmsley decided Gregory McMichael, 64, and his 34-year-old son, Travis, will remain in jail while awaiting trial on charges, including felony murder, in the shooting death of the Black man running through a South Georgia neighborhood.

According to the order on the McMichaels’ petitions for bond, which News4Jax obtained Thursday, the court found the McMichaels “pose a significant risk of influencing witnesses and obstructing justice.” The court document states that during a body camera video from Feb. 23 -- the day of the deadly shooting -- Greg McMichael identified as retired law enforcement who had a gun that was issued to him by the Glynn County Police Department.

Another example cited in the court document is that Greg McMichael attempted to contact current Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson after the shooting.

“Jackie, this is Greg. Can you call me as soon as you possibly can? We’re, uh, my son and I have been involved in a shooting. And, uh, I need some advice. Please call me as soon as you can,” Greg McMichael said in a voicemail to Johnson that was played by Cobb County Deputy Chief Assistant District Attorney Jesse Evans during the bond hearing.

Johnson is Greg McMichael’s former boss. Greg McMichael worked as an investigator in her office for more than 20 years before retiring. The shooting was technically hers to prosecute before the case was reassigned to a different district attorney.

“The call itself is remarkable, particularly in light of the Glynn County District Attorney’s ultimate recusal and the course this case took to indictment,” the order states.

It goes on to say: “Moreover, additional evidence submitted during the hearing showed that Johnson previously intervened on Greg McMichael’s behalf concerning his POST records and a deficiency in training hours for multiple years. Arguably, he was seeking her influence again.”

According to the court document, before his arrest, which occurred more than two months after Arbery was killed, Greg McMichael was apparently communicating with a third defendant, neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan, and “even referred to Bryan as an ally during the ongoing investigation.”

In addition, the court document says that while in custody, “Greg McMichael may have tried to impede the investigation and influence witnesses” by calling his wife and asking her to have his daughter delete posts from social media that were a potential source in the investigation. Court records also show Greg McMichael instructed his wife that “when he answers the phone, tell him flat out not to say anything” when referencing a future conversation between his wife and an unknown third party.

The order also references a separate phone call after the shooting.

“Greg McMichael is heard stating to a third party ‘no good deed goes unpunished’ when referencing the shooting and killing of Arbery,” the document says.

The order then references a coded letter Greg McMichael mailed from jail to a family friend, who testified at the bond hearing, and evidence presented by the state that included a phone call from Travis McMichael to his mother involving “his sister having her phone turned off to help evade investigation.” It also mentions that during the bond hearing when the family friend was presented with a text message that included a racial slur, he answered: “He was referring to a raccoon, I believe.”

The judge says in the order that the court must discount that friend’s testimony “due to bias and impeachment” and because the friend’s “statement of the probably bias of the remaining witnesses raise concerns that Travis McMichael has a close system of friends and family that would help him avoid possible accountability.”

In the order, the judge also writes: “The Court finds the Defendants pose a significant danger to persons, community or property.” The court document stated buckshot from the discharge of the shotgun was found lodged in a home near the shooting. It also points out that the McMcMichaels armed themselves and chased Arbery on public streets in broad daylight.

And the order notes that the McMichaels pose a flight risk because they each face a potential life sentence and “the Court is also concerned that the Defendants do not have jobs or real property in Glynn County.”

The McMichaels are being held in the Glynn County jail.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Body cam footage shows that William 'Roddie 'Bryan, the man who videoed the shooting of Arbery and is claiming he was just a bystander, was very involved in trying to stop Arbery and has admitted on camera he tried to stop him. Video at link.

https://www.wokv.com/news/local/gly...amera-video-shows/SUSTXZ2BD5H77GCCMFOZBM2DO4/

EXCLUSIVE: William ‘Roddie’ Bryan told police he tried to ‘block’ Ahmaud Arbery, body camera video shows

BRUNSWICK, Ga. —

Body camera video shows Glynn County Police officers responding to the deadly shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in February.

The video shows police investigating the scene and interviewing William ‘Roddie’ Bryan, and Gregory and Travis McMichael.

The McMichaels, and Bryan, were arrested months after the February shooting, after the GBI took over the investigation amid public outcry sparked by video of the shooting surfacing on social media.

The three suspects are charged with felony murder and are being held without bond.

While prosecutors say Arbery was out for a jog, the McMichaels told police they chased Arbery because they believed he had broken into a home being built in their neighborhood.

“This guy, who we’ve seen on video on numerous times breaking into these other houses,” said Gregory McMichael. “He comes hauling a** down the street. I mean, he’s got it hooked up.”

The officer who interviews Bryan begins by asking if he’s a passerby.

“No, not necessarily,” Bryan replies.

Bryan, who recorded video of the shooting on his cell phone, told Action News Jax Reporter Bridgette Matter in May he was not involved in the incident. In that interview, Bryan said he wanted to clear his name after receiving threats.

“I truthfully need to be cleared of this because I had nothing to do with it,” Bryan told Action News Jax in May.

In the body camera video obtained by Action News Jax on Monday, Bryan tells police he tried to ‘block’ Arbery as the McMichaels chased him.

“When I see him, I knew, hate that people were getting broken into out here, you know. So, I hollered at them and said, ‘Y’all got him?’ And he just kept running. He was full blown running,” Bryan said to police. “… They got down to the end down there somewhere, must’ve past him. Because I pulled out of my driveway, was going to try to block him. But he was going all around. I made a few moves at him, you know. And he didn’t stop.”

The McMichaels told police Travis acted in self-defense.

“Last thing I ever want to do in my life,” said Travis. “I was playing with my kid, the next thing you know, this.”

“I said ‘Travis, don’t! Don’t shoot! Don’t do anything!’” said Gregory. “The guy turns and comes at him! And they start wrestling and Travis shoots him right in the damn chest! The guy was traying to take the shotgun away from him! [Roddie’s] got it on video.”

Arbery’s father, Marcus Arbery Sr., says he’s praying the McMichaels, and Bryan, are convicted.

“When I see a guilty verdict, I’ll know the justice system is moving forward, not setting us African American people back another 400 years again,” said Arbery Sr.

10. vlaurelio

@bigtexxx ESQ, @dachuda86 ESQ, @Senator ESQ, @generalthade_03 ESQ, @Trader_Jorge ESQ

nice strategy

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/03/us/ahmaud-arbery-case-motions-victim-photo/index.html

Attorneys for McMichaels don't want Ahmaud Arbery called a 'victim' in court

Lawyers for Gregory and Travis McMichael, the father and son charged with murder in the death of Ahmaud Arbery, are asking that Arbery not be called a "victim" in the trial because they say it would be prejudicial, according to one of several motions they filed in the last days of December.

"Due process requires minimal injection of error or prejudice into these proceedings. Use of terms such as 'victim' allows the focus to shift to the accused rather than remain on the proof of every element of the crimes charged," the attorneys wrote in a motion filed December 30.
    Another motion asks the court to limit photos of Arbery to just one in the trial, and that he appear by himself. It also requests that a non-related witness identify Arbery in the photograph, instead of a relative, "to avoid creating cumulative prejudicial error in the trial of this case."
    Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man, was out for a jog near Brunswick, Georgia, on February 23, 2020 when the McMichaels chased him in their truck and Travis shot him after the two struggled, authorities have said. Gregory McMichael was heard saying on police body camera footage after the shooting that he had a gut feeling that Arbery may have been responsible for previous thefts in the neighborhood, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation official testified in a preliminary hearing in June.
    Both men have pleaded not guilty to malice and felony murder charges, and counts of aggravated assault, false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.
    William "Roddie" Bryan Jr., who recorded video of Arbery's death, allegedly hit Arbery with his truck after he joined the McMichaels in the chase. Bryan has pleaded not guilty to charges of criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment and felony murder.
    Suspect in Ahmaud Arbery killing called DA from the crime scene seeking advice, prosecutor says
    Suspect in Ahmaud Arbery killing called DA from the crime scene seeking advice, prosecutor says
    All three men, who are White, are being held without bond.
    Attorneys for the McMichaels have also filed a motion asking that the court forbid spectators in the trial from wearing facemasks or t-shirts with "Black Lives Matter," "I can't breathe" or similar slogans marked on them, as some did, they say, during previous proceedings in the case.
    "It is the right of those supporters to wear whatever clothing they choose, to hold up any sign they wish, and to chant whatever slogan they like outside the courtroom. That is the beauty of our First Amendment. But once inside the courthouse, the sanctity of the defendants' right to a fair and impartial trial trumps the First Amendment," the motion states.
    Other motions the attorneys filed on December 30 and 31 ask the court to order the prosecution to turn over all records relating to "Arbery's disciplinary, criminal, and mental health records" and the contents of his telephone records and social media accounts, and exclude from evidence all recorded jail calls made by the McMichaels while they were held in the Glynn County Detention Center.

mdrowe00, CometsWin and FrontRunner like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, what a joke these lawyers are

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

William "Roddie" Bryan, one of the three men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, is seeking a humanitarian release from jail while awaiting trial because his blood pressure is high.

Bryan's attorney Kevin Gough filed a request for a hearing on the matter in Glynn County Superior Court in Georgia on December 31, First Coast News reported.

Gough wrote that 51-year-old Bryan has had "uncontrolled" high blood pressure since his arrest and detention last year, despite treatment at the Glynn County Detention Center.

"He has already seen a cardiologist, and is medicated, but the sporadic checks of his blood pressure regularly reflect blood pressure in excess of 180/100," Gough wrote.

As recently as December 30, Bryan's blood pressure was 190/100, according to Gough.

"Without humanitarian release under such conditions as the court deems appropriate, Mr. Bryan's blood pressure will remain out of control," he continued.

"Assuming he survives long enough to have a trial, Mr. Bryan's ability to attend, follow along and participate meaningfully in his own trial would be greatly impaired if this issue is not addressed." Gough has been contacted for additional comment.

these 3 murderers get more and more pathetic with every update

u had zero concern for Arbery’s blood pressure as he laid there bleeding out on the street until he eventually died...

mdrowe00 and CometsWin like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking how many blamed George Floyd's and Eric Garner's death to high blood pressure. Can you imagine the outcry from those claiming that if this guy died in custody?

Even with that I think he should be released on humanitarian grounds and subject to monitored release until the trial. With a case like this I would rather see things done by the book and even treating the defendants humanely. I don't want to see them turned into martyrs or having claims that they weren't being treated fairly.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can we force feed the fatty a nice organic vegetarian diet to lower his delicate bp?

No Worries and NotInMyHouse like this.
  15. myco

myco Contributing Member

Yes please
    [​IMG]

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. vlaurelio

Trump taking notes

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

A judge has denied the request for a second bond hearing to a man charged in a high-profile murder case in Southeast Georgia.

William 'Roddie' Bryan, Travis McMichael and Greg McMichael are all facing felony murder charges for the February 2020 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.

Bryan’s attorney, Kevin Gough filed a motion two weeks ago asking his client to be released from jail due to his blood pressure being 190/100.

In documents posted Thursday, the judge denied that request.

Bryan’s attorney wrote they could have additional witnesses that could testify on his behalf, including a family member who is the alleged victim of a sex crimes investigation against Bryan.

Bryan’s attorney claimed the sex crime and hate crime cases against his client have not come to fruition and he doesn’t pose any threat or risk.

Judge Timothy Walmsley wrote in the court order that Bryan and the McMichaels were denied bond after an “uncommonly long and comprehensive hearing on July 17, 2020, at which time the parties presented copious amounts of evidence and testimony.”

In support of Bryan’s motions, an undated letter written to him from the family member and a letter written to Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson from the family member in October 2020 was attached to the hearing request.

Judge Walmsley says after considering the evidence presented, the court does not find any of those factors would warrant reconsidering the denial of bond.

"Assuming he survives long enough to have a trial, Mr. Bryan's ability to attend, follow along and participate meaningfully in his own trial would be greatly impaired if this issue is not addressed," Gough wrote in his request.

The prosecutors in the case also responded to the defense attorneys’ request for discovery of evidence in the case. Prosecutors plan on setting up a Zoom conference with all defense teams to help them find evidence provided.

No trial date has been set.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

just re-read the 1st 15 pages of this thread...many posts look even more pathetic now than they did back then

smh

Rocket River, CometsWin and vlaurelio like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The not-deplorables are a very prideful bunch. I hear they'll lick your boots with a flash of money and a hint of flattery.

CometsWin, Reeko and vlaurelio like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Gov. Brian Kemp’s office is preparing to unveil a proposal next week that would overhaul the state’s citizen’s arrest law after it came under harsh scrutiny following the death nearly a year ago of a Black man who was shot and killed near Brunswick.

The governor’s plan would replace the roughly 150-year-old statute with a new version that includes protections for law enforcement officers and private businesses to detain lawbreakers, according to a senior official, while also addressing concerns from critics who say it’s systemically abused to disproportionately target Black Georgians.

Current state law allows any Georgian who believes he has witnessed a crime to arrest the suspected offender if the crime “is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge.” If the crime is a felony and the person suspected of committing it is trying to flee, Georgians are allowed to arrest that person “upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.”

The governor first promised to rewrite the law during his State of the State address in January, when he called it an “antiquated law that is ripe for abuse and enables sinister, evil motives.”

“We can again send a clear message: Georgia is a state that protects all of its people and fights injustice wherever it is found,” he said.

Since then, his office has consulted with legislative leaders from both parties and advocacy groups to hone the measure.

Supporters of the current version say an overhaul is unwarranted and that it is rarely used successfully as a defense in court. Voters, meanwhile, are split. A recent Atlanta Journal-Constitution pollfound 46% of respondents said they support a repeal of the law and 45% said they did not.

mdrowe00 likes this.