1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Rudy were to leave....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jun 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I was thinking, if Rudy were to leave, would u guys replace him with one of our current assistants if so who, or would u bring someone in, if so who?
    I would have to say bring someone like Clyde or Doc rivers. I truly believe that if you have played the game at a pro level, then u probably have a better understanding, but i dont know.

------------------
    May I have another Snowball Clutch? Please may I? Ill be a good little mole.... I promise.

2. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

We could bring in Clyde, but he may only last a year...coaching's a lot of work, after all.

------------------
    Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock...

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Clyde Drexler is a horrible X's and O's coach. Great players tend not to be that good a coach, though there are some instances where they are. I think getting Clyde Drexler would be a huge step back in the Houston development. He would either have to be 1.)And assistant coach for a while or 2.)Coaching a veteran team and surrounding himself with great basketball minds like Larry Bird did. I would love to get Doc Rivers, though he isn't available. I wouldn't want to promote an assistant coach. I'd go after Flip Saunders or somebody like that. Assuming they're not available we're pretty much screwed! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

larry smith did a nice job at the end of the season winning that game in portland. i would probobly pick him, if the others mentioned were not available.

------------------

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would not want Clyde to coach the Rockets after the way his coaching career ended at UH. I think he realized that it takes a lot of work, and if he can't do it at the college level then there is no way he can do it at the NBA level.

I'd rather see someone promoted within the organization. Any of the assistant coaches Larry Smith, Mike Wells, or Jim Boylen would be great. I don't want a former player like Clyde coming back.

------------------

6. Colby

Colby Member

If Rudy leaves:

A) Houston has been hit by a nuclear bomb
    or
    B) Harris Co has turned dry
    or
    C) I have been hired

Either way, head coach of the Rockets will be the least of our problems.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Mr. Mean has made no secrets that he would like to be considered for a head coaching job at some point in his career. I think with all the work he has done with Rudy T. and CD that I would give him a try.

------------------

8. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

The job is Rudy's as long as he wants it, but if the premise is accepted, his successor has to be Mr. Mean.

He could impress me further by being Mr. Mean with some of our frontcourt slackers. What a bunch of feather pillows.

------------------

9. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

If for some reason the earth stood still and Rudy no longer was the coach for the Rockets I would love to give Coach John Thompson a try. I think he could get Cato in shape with all the quality centers that he groomed in college. I think he could also bring a discipline and respect from his players.

I love to hear him and Danny Ainge going at it on TNT.

What do you all think?

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

10. Toast

Toast Member

I'd like to keep it with someone who's been in the Rockets family. Maybe Larry Smith. Maybe even Mike Dunleavy?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I say Dell Harris or Dunleavy if we hire outside the organization. If we stay within the org, give Carrol Dawson full control or promote Larry Smith. Also, name Calvin Murphy as an assistant coach. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Dawson was offered the job before Rudy T. He turned it down to to failing eyesight, but recommended to Charlie T. that he offer the job to Rudy. Rudy never forgets to thank Dawson for his opportunity.

------------------
    I always thought "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm discovered". Now I think "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm found out".

13. OT

OT Member

If we can pick anyone, George Karl would be my first pick, Dell Harris my second and Mr. Mean my third.

------------------

14. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I like the Dunleavy or Larry Smith idea. Hey what about Calvin as coach, give him an opportunity to see if he can talk that big on the sidelines. Count me as one that thinks he could.

------------------

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thompson's college style would not bode well for the pro game. Unfortunately you have to cow-tow to players nowadays and Thompson relied on fear as a motivating factor in college. There are not too many high-profile college coaches who have done well in the NBA. Larry Brown comes to mind, but look at the failures of Pitino and Carlesimo. Thompson has a great job with TNT, I doubt he'd even consider pro coaching.

------------------

16. bishop

bishop Member

i agree, i would love to see calvin get a chance at the big-time. He seems to have a great understanding of the game and he's very in-tune with todays younger generation of players.

------------------
    " the average age just went up by 25 years" c. barkley, when moses malone walked into the room.

17. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

My Short List(in no particular order):

Head Coach

Bob McAdoo (Miami)
    Flip Saunders (St Paul)
    Bill Berry (Chicago)
    Larry Smith (Houston)
    Mike Dunleavy (Home)
    Del Harris (Dallas)
    Paul Silas (North Carolina)

Assistant Coaches