1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have been "yes men " to Harden his entire career in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

The extent of James Harden's power he has long held with the Houston Rockets has come to light during his efforts to orchestrate a trade.

"James Harden has had the right to say who comes and goes in Houston for essentially the whole time he's [been] there," said Tim MacMahon on the Brian Windhorst podcast. "He wanted Dwight Howard and then he wanted Dwight Howard gone. Chris Paul, then Chris Paul gone. Russell Westbrook. Russell Westbrook gone. He wanted Kevin McHale out and McHale was gone. We can go on down the list.

"Like a lot of superstars, he had the right to say what the travel schedule was going to be. He determined the practice schedule. Got a couple days off, 'Well, James wants to go to Vegas, so you're not going to practice that day.'

"Coming back from the All-Star break, first practice is voluntary because 'James needs to go cool his heels a little bit in Vegas.'

"The first time the Rockets ever told James Harden no was 'No, we're not going to send you to Brooklyn when we don't like the potential trade.'"

Harden reported to training camp with the Rockets several days late after making a pair of much-publicized stops in Atlanta and Las Vegas.

"Their culture is whatever whim he had, that's what their culture was based on," added MacMahon." I was talking to a former Rockets staffer yesterday and he said quote, 'Yeah, he's going to act up, he's never heard 'no' before.'"

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

smp, hajkov, ak99999 and 12 others like this.
  2. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Welcome to the NBA?

No s***, stars are pampered. You dont think Jordan had preferential treatment? Thats how it works and thats how its always been.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I hope Tilman is at least giving McMahon a reach around to do his dirty work.

split41, TWS1986, Mr Woods and 24 others like this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Check Kawhi's new act out in Clipperland. He was NEVER staying in San Antonio with Popovich with the crap he's pulling now.

saleem, D-rock and smp like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is why Westbrook wanted out - not that we wanted him to stay.....but to me this is Morey's biggest blunder.....

DD

Yung-T, 18pbr, Ramo$e and 6 others like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

. . . the title suggests the Rockets are sexist

TWS1986, Roc Paint and BigShasta like this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's time to simply say, "NO."

Highlyrated likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@justtxyank

D-rock, HP3 and SamFisher like this.
  9. DaDakota

Not everyone is pampered as much as Harden.

DD

Yung-T, hajkov, REEKO_HTOWN and 5 others like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You're joking right?

D-rock and Nook like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

'Shave your fuking beard'

'No'

'Hell yes.'

Heartdoc likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Tilfart's New Order

Highlyrated and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. psaman17

psaman17 Member

• Leonard and George were the only players to have their own personal security guards and trainers.

• Leonard and George had power over the team's practice and travel schedule, leading teammates to believe Leonard canceled multiple practices.

• Leonard was allowed to live in San Diego and commute from there, which often made him late for team flights.

• Leonard and George typically didn't speak to the media until at least 45 minutes after games concluded, under the guise of postgame treatment or workouts. This usually resulted in their teammates speaking with the media first, and for longer, essentially becoming the public voices of the team.

• Teammates also believed that Leonard and George were able to pick and choose when they played. Not only did they sit out games entirely, but also at times they accepted or declined playing time in the moment. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ent-for-kawhi-leonard-paul-george-per-report/

This is probably true of 90% of the team in the NBA.

14. DaDakota

Nope, you think San Antonio pampered Duncan as much as Harden is? Sure they treated him special, but I guarantee they didn't say...sure go to Vegas......

Remember when LeBron wanted to bring his CREW on the plane with the Heat, or when he wanted to stay an extra night in New Orleans for a PARTY that his crew was putting on and giving him an appearance fee?

The Heat said....NO....

DD

Mr Woods and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Unless u r the spurs or pat riley, spoiling your star - much less a real bonafide superstar - is often times the only way.

Of course you can so get lucky and have a superstar that isn't a diva/spoiled and is easy to manage like a curry, duncan or dirk.

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't doubt the Rockets pamper Harden, but I doubt that the pampering we give him is any significant amount more than the pampering any [mostly] home-grown superstar gets, and I think some of those examples are sensationalized. I mean I'm sure Harden signed off on both the acquisition and departure of all those star teammates mentioned, as I'm sure franchise players always do, but I doubt he specifically asked for very much of it to happen. And even if he did, we were better off without most of those guys. The main thing I wonder about is whether he asked for Paul to leave, and wanted Westbroke. I think that was mostly on Tilman.

But Paul was the only non-b!tchmade superstar we've gotten to pair with Harden, and the only one who was a [surprisingly] great fit. Would be a quite bit disappointing if Harden wanted Paul gone after the best season in Rockets history, and one of the best in NBA history, cut short only because of injury and Scott Foster... but I don't think Harden did so.

I'd be quite glad if Harden wanted Dwight and Westbroke gone, though. Didn't give either star a minute less than they deserved.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morley created a MONSTER!

18pbr, Ramo$e and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The ONE TIME THE Heat said no huh? I'm sure the Heat reimbursed him that appearance fee too!
    Dude, give me another example because Lebron has a gun to every organization's head he's played for since 2007. After losing to the Spurs, He signs short term deals where if doesn't get what he wants HE IS OUT via free agency. He left Cleveland in a huff (The Decision) after Dan Gilbert wouldn't improve the roster. With Miami, Dwayne Wade started to fall off, Lebron writes a homecoming letter and he's gone after 4 years. In Cleveland, the Cavs go 1-3 vs the Warriors & things start to get hot with Kyrie, Lebron writes a thank you letter and leaves Cleveland after 4 years and goes to LA on a 3 year deal. The Lakers miss the playoffs the first year and then trade the farm for Anthony Davis in the second year because they know year 3 is Lebron's last year of his deal. Bottom line Lebron get what he wants or he's out.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

While Harden has his issues, I feel like his diva-ness may be overblown in some instances. Yeah, he likes to party a bit too much, but I think when he was all in with Houston, he was really all in. He worked so hard every off-season, came back with a new move to address some weakness, got better and better defensively, and legitimately just worked his ass off in Houston to go from sixth man to being compared to Jordan and LeBron (even if unfavorably). He gave us seven hard years of unexpectedly AMAZING basketball without any trade drama, and only recently has speculation and revisionist history began to sprout about who he demanded we trade for and whatnot (which is the main thing I think is overblown). I think those moves were mostly Morey/the FO experimenting as different things failed.

I'd love if Harden always came to training camp on time and in shape and never showed up to games hungover, but we could do a lot worse. We were lucky it took Harden this long to give up on us after years of wasting his potential as he enters his 30s.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Jordan has rings. Harden has not made it to an NBA Final yet.

tinman, smp, ak99999 and 1 other person like this.