1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Next year? Doubt it. Think a defensive minded HC could look to retain Kelly as OC if he can keep the offense afloat the rest of the way through though.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Tim Kelly might get an QB or maybe even OC opportunities from that. I dont see HC.

I would be shocked if the new coach (if not Crennel) wanted to retain Kelly. Coaches usually like to have their team. I hope the new GM or Easterby or ownership don't force it on the new coach.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When Vrabel went to Tennessee, Arthur Smith was kept from the previous staff and promoted to OC. It's possible Kelly is retained as OC, but there's a risk of him improving to the point of getting poached in 2022.

I look at the Lions who have flubbed a decade of consistent franchise QB play with no playoff success. Get an offensive guy at coach and get started on some long term stability/consistency on the side of the ball with all of our money invested.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I didn't know their DC started his coaching career here in Houston. Intern for 05, and ended as LBs coach in 09-10.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Saleh, Lafluer, and Shanahan were all here around that same timeframe. Timing can really be a b****. Our vacancy after Kubiak was too early for Shanahan (not that they would have gone that direction anyway immediately after Kubes).

Had we not given OB two extra years to run the franchise into the ground, maybe Lafluer would have been a possibility.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...hn-dorsey-expected-to-interview-with-houston/

League sources said that headhunter Jed Hughes, who twice previously conducted GM searches in which Dorsey prevailed, remains very high on the longtime personnel executive, and is advocating for his consideration for the opening in Houston in which Hughes' firm is overseeing. The Texans search is puzzling to many around the league, with an owner, Cal McNair, who has never had to make a hire of this magnitude before and much speculation about the role that director of football operations Jack Easterby will play in the hire, along with search firm Korn Ferry, run by Hughes.

Dorsey also has ties to Chiefs assistant coach Eric Bieniemy; Bieniemy will almost certainly have the opportunity to interview with multiple teams again this January and sources said that Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is a big proponent of Bieniemy (he coaches Watson's friend, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes).

While there are concerns about McNair's relative inexperience and the structure of the organization and Houston's dearth of draft picks, Watson is an elite quarterback having the best season of his career and his presence alone makes the job intriguing.

Dorsey's roots are under longtime Packers executive Ron Wolf, whose lineage tends to be in demand for front office openings, and several people with knowledge of the situation in Houston affirmed his name is in the mix with the Texans and indicated Hughes ongoing affinity for his work.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The situation starting to sort out now.

I expect more tidbits to come out about the process.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need to do more research on Dorsey but I would support these moves 100%

GM Dorsey
    HC Eric B
    OC ??
    DC Weaver ? Karl Dunbar

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Can we just hire John Dorsey already?

Or don’t let Ed Dodds leave houston

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Texanstradamus

How do y’all like John Dorsey I know he built up some nice rosters but why did teams let him go

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. newAge_Rockets

From what I can tell, he’s good at building a roster but bad at maintaining it.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

i honestly don't think a new coach is gonna magically save this talent depleted team. dumbass BoB fked us so bad, it's gonna b a while until we r competitive.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Texans need talent so Dorsey would be a good get. Plus this guy is proven in the nfl

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm always wary when fans of a former employer warn you not to hire a guy. It'd be like us begging another team to not hire Bill O'Brien and them turning around and saying "But he won his division 4 times in 5 years, sounds pretty good to me."

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, whatever you do, Denver, don't hire Kubiak.

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I still think it will prolly be mike borgonzi if we are going with a chiefs connection with bieniemy being HC.