1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deangelo Hall Vs. Terence Newman Vs. Marcus Trufant

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Got Em, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Got Em

Got Em Member

Can anybody break these 3 down? Also if Newman was in this draft, how high would he go?

2. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Newman would be top 5-10 again.

3. Got Em

Got Em Member

So Newman > Hall > Trufant?

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Pretty much. Although , I think Newman is overrated.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If Dunta Robinson is there the Texans should grab him...he is considered to be the best in man-to-man coverage in this draft...im not sure how he compares to Newman or Trufant though

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Not according to the scouting reports he isn't.

Dunta Robinson, South Carolina
    Height: 5-10 Weight: 186 Likely Draft Position: Mid-First Round Possible Destinations: Steelers, Jets, Bills NFL Comparison: Terence Newman

Robinson's 4.34 time in the 40-yard dash is actually a hair faster than the time Hall posted. Given that both corners ran a similar time and have similar measurements, there's a chance that Robinson could be chosen ahead of the Virginia Tech receiver if teams sour on Hall's arrogance. What's keeping Robinson listed below Hall on most draft boards is the assumption that he'll take a little longer to develop. One reason scouts predict a rougher transition for Robinson is that he is inexperienced at the corner position. He started only two years at South Carolina, and spent some of that time playing safety. Robinson also needs to work on his man-to-man coverage, as he prefers playing the zone style used by the Game Cocks.

Originally considered a mid-to-late first round pick, Robinson's stock is rising because of the fast 40-yard dash time and the widespread need of cornerbacks. Herm Edwards is one coach who thinks Robinson can handle man-to-man coverage, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Jets coach select Robinson if Hall is already taken by the time the team picks at No. 12. Saints' officials will be dancing down Bourbon Street if Robinson falls to them at No. 18, but we'd be shocked if he's still on the board that late.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

In most of the scouting reports I've seen they rank Hall as the best cover corner in the draft.

8. tozai

tozai Member

I never saw Dunta Robinson play, but I love how you never hear of the guy at this high a prospect until he runs a 4.3.

Trufant was the most impressive to me of all of these guys.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The Sporting News ranks them:

1) Robinson (best in Man coverage)
    2) Hall (Workout Star)
    3) Will Poole (best in Zone coverage and best in run support)
    4) Chris Gamble (Return man and has height)

I guess it all depends on the scout...

10. Got Em

Got Em Member

If it was our turn to draft, and these are the players still left, who would you pick and why?

D. Hall
    M. Williams
    V. Wilfolk
    W. Smith
    J. Vilma

11. Summer Song Giver

Wilfork, I think we can get by one more year with our secondaryin place the way it is.

M.Williams would be a luxury, one we can't afford with the shape our DLine is in.

All of that on top of the fact that Vince would be the prototypical nose tackle in our 3-4 defense and he's my pick.

12. Got Em

Got Em Member

I would pick Hall just because he's a good cb that runs a 4.37 and that allows us to move coleman to FS. Also, the nfl changed its rules on CBs, so that means CBs with speed are now more valuable than ever. Seems to me that everybody a little before us and after us might want Hall.

13. tozai

tozai Member

What rule?

Hall could also be an excellent return guy.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd love to have Hall, but I'm really starting to think that he'll be gone by 10.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I would be weary of a workout champ like Deangelo Hall. I remember watching him blow coverage on Tim Van Zant (former walkon) repeatedly during the A&M game last year.

Better to stick with a can't miss guy like Vince Wilfork.

16. Got Em

Got Em Member

How is wilfolk can't miss? Wasn't he supposed to be a top 5 prospect a year ago??? He's ranked at about 15 right now. How come he's dropped to so low?

17. Summer Song Giver

Deeper draft for one, Wilfork is just what this team needs, someone to swallow up blockers and free up linebackers to make plays. I don't know if he's a sure thing but he is IMO just what this team needs.

18. Got Em

Got Em Member

How is wilfolk's weight now??? I heard he was too heavy or something.

19. tozai

tozai Member

Is Van Zant that bad, really? What's the stigma about being a walk-on? He put up pretty impressive numbers on pro day so he's a good athlete. When I saw them play, he didn't seem that bad. You never know with NFL players. People come out of nowhere. Stokley? Bennett?