1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forbes: Safest bet for the Rockets this offseason is an Eric Gordon Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 28, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

I heard that there are about 400 million luxury tax profits To share from 4 teams.
    Nets
    Warriors
    Clippers
    76ers

It’s good to become nba owners and make money from tax profits.

2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I for one am completely over Eric Gordon and would thoroughly enjoy getting rid of him.

I’d have to really sit and go through teams salaries to see who would be an actual potential trade candidate, but I really don’t think I can take another season of this dude’s droughts and constant hand gestures.

Our next coach (hopefully) won’t want to play with 3 guards 99% of the game and it would be a positive to move Ego for somebody with athleticism.

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why not use full MLE past 3 years?

Tilman needs to answer this question, then talk about
    Do whatever it takes
    At all costs

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

You've gotta use salesmanship! Those aren't G-Leaguers, they're stars-in-the-making!

5. Nook

Nook Member

There are only a few ways to go beyond the salary cap legally. One of those ways is extending your own players above and beyond the salary cap. I am not saying to do that with every player or even most, but the Rockets were in a situation where it was going to be very difficult to add anyone to get beyond the salary cap. Extending Gordon allowed the Rockets to do that.

The Rockets could have held onto Anderson and dealt him for a player that they liked when he was an expiring and choose not to do that. TF didn't want to pay him not to play. Chris Paul was making huge money, and they dealt him because they got Westbrook. It all comes down to what the owner can or will stomach.

Also, Gordon will likely be a lot better this year as he is moving a whole lot better. I have never been a huge fan of Gordon and have long felt his defense is over rated... still, if he plays like he has in the past, he is very moveable.

Easy, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tilman finally paid for something. There is no reason to hate the extension given to Gordon. There was no way to sign anyone worth that if he walked. Gordon will be traded for a player that fits our system better or he will stay and prove his worth.

Everyone hating on him is going to have to eat crow within a year.

D-rock, HP3 and Nook like this.
  7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Adding a rim running big is a must. Westbrook excels when he has a lob partner. I'm not sure why Capela/WB was so ineffective while Adams/WB was not. If it's simply a matter of crowding the paint to prevent the lob, the 16-17 Thunder should have been much worse (Russ also shot league average from 3 as I recall). Another option is to have a rim running big who has a mid-range, forcing them to consider whether to give up an open pick-and-pop by crowding the paint.

More than anything, the Rockets are going to need to use every inch of space and movement.

lilbird20, D-rock and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Correct. There is no downside to it unless Tilman attaches assets to Gordon to move him. It is just money basically and he is capable of helping the Rockets as well.

I am not a huge Gordon fan but he is an important rotation piece.

Ramo$e, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If Gordon is traded with assets attached, like you said, there are bigger problems at bay. There is 0 reason to take a loss on Gordon that isn't financial. It would signal that Harden isn't going to sign an extension and we are headed for a tear down.

saleem, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I will be curious to see what the Rockets do. I can tell you after the Lakers series I asked and was told "defense, defense and defense". There are a couple things they could use, a rim running big like you said..... a back up point guard that can either create for others or shoot well..... a 4/5 of some sort that is good enough to limit the wear on Tucker and Covington.

saleem, bulkatron, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@Nook what is your most realistic fake trade for this offseason to improve the Rockets in your opinion?

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

What gave you the idea that Westbrook excels with a lob partner?

I mean before diving in to actual pick and roll stats. Just on the surface we know that OKC has been a fairly mediocre to bad offense since Durant left. And we know Westbrook has been a pretty bad offensive player outside of his MVP year and a year or two before it.

So we know those two things to be indisputable facts. How it could even be possible that Westbrook excels with a lob partner knowing these 2 facts doesn’t make much sense.

And then you look at the numbers

Points per possession with Westbrook as the ball handler

19/20 : 0.93
    18/19 : 0.78
    17/18 : 0.85
    16/17 : 0.89

None of these marks are high end. And his best season over the last 4 was here in Houston. Westbrook is not a good PNR player because he doesn’t make good decisions, can’t shoot at all and has never been a creative passer.

#52 jordnnnn, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    bulkatron and HP3 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Exactly, Eric Gordon is still a valuable asset to the team. People are letting their feelings and recency bias get the best of them. Exactly what happend with Chris.

treyk3 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't really seen any yet that I think is highly likely. Once we have a coach and some comment from the GM and Coach, then we will be in a better position to know. The most realistic thing I have seen has been some of the projected MLE candidates (assuming TF uses it).

The proposed trades are hard to figure with the Rockets right now because just too many variables. There are a number of deals the Rockets would like to do, but really have limits on what the Rockets will trade away.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

God we are so ****ed lol.

GotGame15, lilbird20 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He was better this year was than last. I don't see the problem with Gordon. He is better than other role players on our roster. Can drop 25+ given the chance. He is not getting traded. If they we're looking trade him they would had did it before they extended him.

Give up and pick and or House? Lol

I'm not opposed to any good deals, but this is just wishful thinking. Hoping they can pry away key contributors from a team that don't have many is all this is.

Eric could be starter if he could stay healthy.

Pringles likes this.
  17. deshen

deshen Member

I hate empty statement like this.
    nobody hates on him. Fact is he played below his career average. 36.9% FG is at the bottom of the whole league. League average is around 45%.

Eric Gordon
    Season Team FG% 3P% FT% Reb Ast TO Stl Blk Pts
    2018-19 HOU 40.9 36.0 78.3 2.2 1.9 1.3 0.6 0.4 16.2
    2019-20 HOU 36.9 31.7 76.6 2.0 1.5 1.2 0.6 0.4 14.4
    career 42.5 37.0 81.1 2.5 2.9 2.0 0.9 0.3 16.6

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

“one of the worst in all of basketball...”

Ouch!

This team is so screwed...

lilbird20 likes this.
  19. jowman

jowman Member

Guess there’s no harm holding him if we don’t get anything that makes us better. Only way he looks worse is if he gets injured for a prolonged period.

should probably package him with picks to get a better player though.

D-rock likes this.
  20. derp

derp Member

What picks? All our somewhat valuable picks were given up in the Westbrook deal

BamBam, saleem and Ramo$e like this.