1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 2 Observations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bryant2108, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was super opposed to the trade and I still struggle to root for Westbrook. But he was really good in game 1. So I feel like calling him unplayable might be an over reaction. He had a terrible game 2. Let's see how he plays in game 3. Hopefully he'll bounce back. For better or worse, our future is dependent on Westbrook playing up to his potential. He's not going anywhere.

fattz, Batman Jones, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  2. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I think it's about mentality and aggression.

If you look at Vogel, at Lebron, even at the League sending Scott Foster for Game 2, they know they are in trouble. Did you see Lebron celebrating yesterday?

It seems that the only person not convinced that Houston has a shot are the Rockets players. We need to take this by the throat, Lakers are happy to reduce the game tempo, of us dribbling the ball top of the key. Their defense is exhausting to play if we make them move in every posession. It won't be like that if we give them space to rest every other possesion.

3. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Westbrook should learn from Leborn, just use drive or slam dunk. Please dont try any jump shooting especially in 4th quarter.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

In hindsight, two crucial mistakes from last night's game:

- Wasting the challenge early on for a play that was not going to get overturned. Should have saved it for later, as the Robert Covington foul on Anthony Davis would surely have been overturned in our favor given that it was all ball and came at a more crucial moment.

- Not benching Russ after his fifth foul. He could not play aggressive defense on Lebron, and Lebron kept isolating against him and Green/others were not jumping in to double Lebron. That stretch swung the game back into the Lakers favor.

joshuaao, killahflip, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

agreed . I thought overall it was not too bad of a game for MDA .. but I agree with those .

the challenge is less damning because it was on harden and you don’t know the roco play is coming .

WB with 5 I questioned a bit in real time . I would’ve gone with rivers there , but rivers was having a bad game ... so not awful . Unless you are thinking out back in james at that point which idk either . I think Gordon was already on the floor .

I’m just glad they showed the roco replay and the commentators told it like it is . Any other network stooge would not have covered that play as honestly (either by not showing or saying “looks like a bit of contact” or something like that lol )

6. payaso

payaso Member

My wonder is why they're not game-planning a riff on the lob opportunities that Capela used to feast on, having WB emulate a faux safety-valve release pass to a chasing Jeff Green or DHouse, or anyone with good hands going to the rim? New wrinkles on old themes are playoff game-planning grist, I figure...

London'sBurning likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

While we're at it, let's also tell Westbrook to get taller (6 inches or so?) and gain 50 lbs before game 3, too. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LeBron is a 6'9'', 250lb physical monster even at 35. Westbrook is not that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is very easy to game plan Westbrook. Pack the paint. Westbrook's one offensive strength is getting to the hoop. Lakers have big players to stuff any drive. They didn't do that in Game 1. Now they adjusted. Using the zone to prevent driving.

We need 4 shooters on the floor with Harden. That's why we got rid of Capela. When Westbrook can't drive to the basket, he is a huge liability. It doesn't help that Harden still gives Westbrook the ball.

Another thing is Rondo's full court on Harden. That took a lot of energy from Harden just to get the ball cross mid court in 8 seconds. MDA needs to come up with something to neutralize that tactic.

RocketOrg and jcmoon like this.
  9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I disagree on the challenge. Even if Harden wanted it, it was far too early in the game. Winning the challenge would have made little impact.

Ideally, you save your challenge for a swing that can be a momentum changer. The Lakers did just this with the Russ charge. We could have easily held onto it for a bigger moment, but MDA reacted to Hardens ask and did it foolishly.

10. riko

riko Member

Nope. His upside is still great as he can win a game single handily if he gets hot

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

im pretty sure lakers burned their challenge in the first half

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Turnovers and Westbrook taking 7 threes beat us last night. We dug a big hole by having so many empty possessions especially early in the game. Russ also can't be baited into taking 3's because he can't make them enough to justify taking them.

csnerd84 and fattz like this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

If he choose take them he needs to be pulled it really is that simple. Even if he makes a few of them the overall effects are negative. He needs to play within himself.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  14. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Scott Foster and Tony Brothers to get virtual crowd cutouts (in Laker's jerseys) for remainder of the series. Laker's plan to induct them into the Laker's HOF at season's end.

15. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Houston should play concentrately in 1st quarter, you cannot let Lakers to have big lead. Westbrooks is not a good choice for 4th quarter for shooting.

I only said we can win game 2 without westbrooks.

We also need to think about the defence on Rondo, Green and Kuzma.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Not even remotely true. Did you watch the game? Our challenge was done when the score was 9-10 (who challenges a call at that score?), they challenged at the end of the third when Russ ended up being called for a loose ball foul. At the time we had regained the lead by 2 and the challenge was huge at both swinging momentum and getting Russ his fifth foul.

17. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

That play where Westbrook allowed Lebron a straight drive to the basket because he had 5 fouls was inexcusable! What are you saving your fouls for? It was a pivotal point in the game and he should have been yanked.
    WB and D’Antoni cost the Rockets this game and I hope it does not come back to haunt us.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Lakers uses their small ball dead lineup kuzma, lb., ad, rondo and Morris vs Houston and reduce McGee and Howard playing times. I think Houston needs to change in game 3.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets played one quarter of great defense in Game 2.

That's not going to be enough.