1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Keep in mind thought that we are particularly bad for Chris Paul because we have no center. We dont know what this Chris Paul would look like against other defenses. Ours is just really amazing and a bad match up for him.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good thing CP3 is so crafty, otherwise Rockets win by 30 instead of 13.

LOL

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"In a regular world, not COVID, not a bubble, we'd be going back home for two games," Paul said. "We gotta take it one game at a time, learn from this game, and hell, I gotta show up. That simple."

so it's covid's fault. got it.

cbass, sungjina, Blurr#7 and 8 others like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the way CP was disrespectfully dribbling through Hartenstein and Clint's legs was absolutely mortifying and equal parts devastating early in the season. He did that on national TV and I just wanted to punt the tv into the sun.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

OKC is completely shook, they all look and talk like they are shell shocked.

I would not be surprised if they try doubling Harden next game instead of the zone they played today.

Still not going to work.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his bb iq is everywhere

7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I feel like they just want to go home now. Whatever fight they have left is waning.

8. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Kinda feel bad for him

9. MystikArkitect

Sucks for OKC that the Rockets got their two home games in Houston but they're forced to have them in the bubble.

tinman, hakeem94, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

CP3 may have looked better* if he was playing on a more talented team ( aka us ) vs OKC , but the bottom line is that he is no longer a 1 or a 2 ( in terms of best player on a championship team). His confidence, athleticism , and even feel have diminished ( but only a bit for feel ) . I'm sure we are in a very good position to counter him given many of our rotation players have played with him and know his tendencies. However, what is he bringing on the defensive end to slow us down ? We are getting the 3's we want. We aren't committing turnovers. Cp3 "the pest" seems to be a thing of the past.

You could likely get a better judge of exactly how good he still is if he wasnt playing on team that (IMO) is severely outgunned.

But still , he looks no better than a 3rd best player on a contending team.

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

in the two games hes a series low -43

yikes

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Watching him today gave me ptsd from his performance in the playoffs last year with us. Similar stat line and overall impact. Even game 1, without his two 3pters coming late when the game was put away, more would've noticed just how little impact he had.

But you bring up good points. Can't say I argue with him being a 3rd best option on a contending team at this point in his career. And I think his defense has definitely gotten worse each year. His lateral quickness in his prime allowed him to continually be in position for the passing lanes, good contests, and flat out pick pocketing anyone he didn't think had business dribbling, but now he's basically a 6fter conserving energy by guarding a spot-up guy, that is a lot more likely to be late on his contests and closeouts. Also doesn't help that his rookie teammates are getting destroyed off the dribble and he's wanting to help off. He's still got good instincts but just not the ability physically imo.

Granted, I still think he's quicker than last year, I think his ceiling is still rather low, especially against us. Not only do we know his tendencies all the more bc of his playing for us, but our switch-everything defense also really limits his strengths. There's no bigs to manipulate in the pick n roll and shoot midranges over when they drop too low. He's being met on every screen with a switch against a wing defender like covington, tucker, or EG. No matter how much he may use his IQ to him and OKC's favor, it's just possibly the worst matchup for him in the first round. If you watch him play against denver or utah, he routinely is hunting gobert and jokic for his midrange, especially in the clutch. Against us, it's just not there. And he's not quick enough anymore to just iso even our average/sometimes good wing defenders like house, rivers, and even mclemore.

#593 HewbieTrippin, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The disrespect!

I read that as "series slow -43"

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He looks like he did in last year’s playoffs. All deception, very little stop and go quickness that made him a 40 point threat in 2018.

ParaSolid likes this.
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Couldn't agree more. Folks like myself caught flak for supporting the trade on grounds that went beyond durability concerns. CP3 looks, to my eye at least, a lot like he did last season. He has lost whatever burst he once had, and it feels like even when he has an open lane to the basket he can no longer exploit it due to his loss of speed and lack of leaping ability.

His best skill is the mid range shot, great decision making, and honestly coming through in clutch moments. He was far more in command late in games than Harden was, and with him I still think we make the finals two years ago. Having said that, the window for that roster had passed, and at this stage in their careers, Russell Westbrook is so much more valuable and effective on the court and capable of doing a million things CP3 is not that it's almost weird to have to defend it or even make the argument because of how obvious it is.

HewbieTrippin and RudyTBag like this.
  18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

That player movement tho!

19. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul is far from washed. But he's also lost some of the quickness that made him completely unguardable earlier in his career. He still has great hands, incredible bball-IQ, and his trademark tenacity, but as a first or second option? I think those days are over. The Rockets are really exposing CP3's physical decline so far in these playoffs.

Ironically, I think he'd be one of the best third options in the league if he were on a friendlier contract. Russ/CP3/Harden? I think that would've worked, especially in super smallball.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well the thing is
    He and Harden don’t like each other

so we had to get rid of him

and kudos to Morey and Tilman

I know nobody wants to credit Tilman but he deserves it for this one
    @Reeko @Os Trigonum

Roomba likes this.