1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minnesota Riots [may 2020]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, May 28, 2020.

1. hhh345

hhh345 Member

He had already taken the taser from the police. If he would of hit the officer when he shot the taser at him he could leave him incapacitated to the point where he would be unable to defend himself and now leave him vulnerable to being stripped of his firearm and then having it used by the suspect to shoot and kill the officer, and put other citizens in danger.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The easiest solution to this recent event would have been for the dude to peacefully surrender. Accept the consequence for his decision to drink and drive and allow everyone to continue on with their lives.

You guys expecting cops to just let him go are really ridiculous. Is that supposed to be the new norm? How many more people will resist knowing that they could get away if they resist enough? You could believe the cop made the wrong decision to shoot him, but to just let him go because he didn't want to be arrested is wrong.

As far as the taser posing a threat, theoretically, he could have tased the cop and taken his gun. You may not like that, but that was a possibility. That situation would have put innocent bystanders at risk.

No one could predict how a cop will react in these types of situations. I don't think there is a test that could weed out the type of person who would shoot under this type of pressure. There will always be not necessarily "bad" cops, but cops who are bad at their job. There will always be subpar cops in each and every department. Just like there are barbers who are bad at their jobs, doctors who aren't as good as others, plumbers, NBA players, etc. The best thing you could do for yourself is minimize your interactions with these imperfect folks and accept your consequences if you do something that requires their intervention.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's body camera footage and dash cam footage that gives audio. They also released security cam footage from the Wendy's that you can piece the sequence of events together.

It wasn't a judgment or execution. It was stopping a violent criminal from further endangering the public.

Using your logic exercise, are you saying cops shouldn't have legal justification to stop mass shooters? Should they just wait until the mass shooter runs out of bullets and politely cuff him/her?

If someone I know is violent and gets shot because of it, I'd be upset but would understand why they were shot. The blame would lie on who is responsible for it.

Tasers are less lethal. Rayshard stole one from an officer and fired it at the other in an attempt to flee. If it connected and he incapacitated the pursuing officer, Rayshard has the opportunity to steal a more lethal weapon to flee. Rayshard also has the opportunity to carjack someone to flee. If you were the officer, do you give him the chance?

Corrosion likes this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

The Atlanta incident is not even in the same ballpark as the Floyd murder. In the Floyd case he was already handcuffed. The officers already had the situation under control yet Chauvin decided he wanted to kill him. Had the guy in Atlanta not resisted arrest, attacked the officer, stole the taser and fired the taser at the officer he would not be dead. Could the Atlanta officer have made a different choice? Sure and I bet he wished he did but in no way can that be considered murder.

5. likestohypeguy

Ofc you are right- I cannot believe I didn't think of that. Clearly he wanted to just get away, but absolutely COULD have possibly tased then got to his gun before partner could get there to help. I do hink it's better to let someone like this get away than kill him (this is not a mass shooter or something, it's a runaway DWI with a taser), and when you chased him once he had your taser, that pretty much sealed his fate. Ofc the drunk is going to try and use it. Still dont think it was necessary, and shouldn't have chased him, but once you were at that point I understand how the shooting was justified. Yes you can't have them trying to tase you when you have a gun.

My question is, where is the hhh345 in ATLgovt/LE administration, pointing out what should be an obvious crucial detail that some of us have overlooked anyway- but given that don't think the cop should have been fired, and why did the chief resign?

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He had a taser. Let him run, call backup. As a cop you can't play devil's advocate 'hey this guy could murder someone in a day!', because that is judgement of intent. That's for the courts to decide. Shooting this guy was murder.

Here's what I'm for:
    • Total police accountability and transparency. They work for us.
    • Requirements are a four year degree heavy on psychology. Then a heavy panel psych eval to start working as a cop, and only cool headed cops with little or no biases are on the streets.
    • Quality over quantity, pay them more so it's a more attractive career path, and no just an 'oh well, I guess I'll be a cop' last resort for losers (I have literally seen this happen).
    • Current cops undergo psych evals. Cops with histories of proven brutality are both tired for past crimes (if found) and banned from police duty. New cops with short histories are required to take two years of courses to stay cops. Tenured cops who pass background and psych evals are still required to take courses in deescalation techniques and other proactive techniques.
    • New cops are partnered with proven older cops who toe the line and teach procedure, which will stop police from being a 'trade' where you learn from your elders, which is why these issues are so systemic and cyclical.
    I don't think any of this is unreasonable to a rational person. Teachers have to go through far more schooling and certification and you can argue that they benefit society far more in current state. Let's train and reward good police and get rid of the bad ones and their habitual issues.

Xerobull in 2028

#1006 Xerobull, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    DVauthrin and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Seems to happen to the white mass murderers. "Miraculously" taken in alive - Dylann Roof, Jared Loughner, James Holmes, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, Nikolas Cruz - to name a few. (Some commit suicide.)

Attorney:
    The value of AA lives doesn't mean too much to officers nowadays. It's sad.

In Georgia, a taser is not a deadly weapon. I've had cases where officers have used tasers on victims and they argue with us in court that tasers aren't deadly, that tasers aren't harmful. You cannot have it both ways. You can't say he ran off with a weapon that can kill somebody when you say it's not deadly. You can't say you don't have other options. Where was he gonna go?

Was the officer embarrassed he got his taser taken? Was he upset he lost a scuffle and out of spite, he shot? We don't know yet. He had other options than shooting a man in the back. And we don't want to hear he pointed it backwards because it's not a deadly weapon according to police officers. He wasn't close enough to harm you. You could have ran him down but instead got bullets in the back.

How many more examples will we need? The cameras aren't doing it. Y'all filming it isn't doing it. Covering it isn't doing it. Protesting it isn't doing it. What is it going to take?

We saw the police chief resign today. We don't have the exact reason why but maybe she even realized what more can I do training wise? They know they shouldn't have done that. Do we need to start over and re-hire all the officers to re-train them? What other options do we have? The problem is they've been given leeway to use lethal force for all too often and too long and this is what we're left with.

There were multiple witnesses out there. We talked to some witnesses today who said the officers went and put on plastic gloves and went and picked up their shell casings after they killed him, before rendering aid. We counted 2 minutes 16 seconds before they checked his pulse. People wonder why everyone is mad.

I don't even know what that (justice) is. I don't know what justice is anymore. Is it getting him arrested, someone getting fired, a chief stepping down? I know this isn't justice, what's happening in society right now. There's not much more we can say or do as a society so people refusing change, not understanding why the time is now for complete systematic change, take a look. Then compare it to all the videos online where it was a white individual with a deadly weapon that wasn't killed. Why didn't they get shot? Why did Rayshard have to?

We're so concerned about trying to find a vaccine for the Coronavirus, the world is pitching in millions and millions of dollars, scientists around the world trying to find a vaccine but no one is trying to find a vaccine for civil rights abuses. It's something we're told to wait for, it'll come. Nobody is trying to find a vaccine why officers pull the trigger so quick on AA. There's no flood of money or scientists or top experts or our leadership in this country trying to end that epidemic. I guess because that doesn't hit close to home to the people that care.

We're just tired and if you don't understand that because you're a different color, different gender, may not be from Georgia, then you may be the problem.

If this officer today had been a little more empathetic, a bit less scared, we probably wouldn't have a dead client and wouldn't be here talking to you right now.

There's a lot of systemic things wrong with policing in this country. Over the past few weeks, we've talked about a lot of them, you've seen a lot of them on tape. We're tired.

First failing I saw was training. If a taser isn't a deadly weapon, then it's not a deadly weapon when I have it, it's not a deadly weapon when an officer has it, it's not a deadly weapon when anyone else has it. When our client has it, they're going to say it's a deadly weapon and it's not. Two officers and one of him. Their training failed them.

Two, leadership failed them. I don't want to see anyone lose their job but maybe the Police Chief needed to resign because whatever they're doing from the top isn't reaching the bottom. If they are doing correctly from the top and that's what they're trying to get across to their officers, then it's not working & needs to change immediately. Policing needs to change to something more empathetic, more community based. They way they are policing our communities is wrong. It's causing death. ...

Third, fear. I don't know those two officers but watching the tape, they were scared. It's a hard profession. But if you have fear, you don't need to be a police officer. If you don't understand the community you're policing, you don't need to be a police officer. If you're not comfortable with black [people], brown, white, yellow, whatever, you don't need to be a police officer. A police officer is as much a counselor as they are anything else. If we go back to leadership & training I spoke of earlier, you'll see these officers aren't taught that. They're taught to crack heads and when can't crack heads, they're taught to shoot. That's resulting in death.

Stand up with us. Push with us. Fight with us. Our fight is your fight. This is the United States of America. We're coming up on July 4th and this will be a very weird July 4th for a lot of people, very different, because people are coming to the realization America doesn't mean America for all Americans and that's a problem. Keep pushing. Fight with us. Hopefully we'll get some change.

Cokebabies, Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean he stole a taser from a cop and shot it at at the cop.

I'm expecting bullet holes in me if I did that.

This incident is the wrong hill to die on. It makes people lose credibility in the protests.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Attorney mirrored a lot of my points. Good points on leadership. When your subordinates fail, you fail as a manger and leader. Government has so much bloat in middle management that many directives get muddled or lost.

Hitting someone in the pocketbook is very effective. Joe Biden was telling Trevor Noah that the federal government can’t really control police because they are 90% funded locally. However they can control what they pay in grants and he wants to withhold that money to police departments that don’t comply.

Couple that with what I said above and it’s a good plan to move forward with positive change.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the worst thing about these riots is when they are in the middle of the street and mob some stranger's car who took a wrong turn somewhere

you either stop and allow your car to get smashed and yourself to get dragged out and beaten, or you keep driving and risk hurting someone

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its awful.

This is kinda why you don't enable lawlessness in public stations.

Not sure what people expected would happen.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You say he "clearly wanted to get away" .... that may be true but he had shown he would resort to violence to achieve that end - What happens if the cop , instead of firing on him , gives up the chase and he goes on to hurt / carjack someone in his attempt to escape ? An innocent gets harmed. He's already proven himself a danger in committing multiple felonies ...

From what I had seen of the video's - they hadn't been able to frisk him yet either - you don't know if he has a weapon ....

As for why the chief resigned .... its all about the political climate. Who the hell wants to deal with this kinda situation with what's going on nation wide ? That's the police chief's worst nightmare right now .... whether its a justified shooting or not. I wouldn't want to be involved in it .... that's for sure.

This guy didn't "deserve to die" but he damn sure brought the result on himself .... in no way can he be compared to Floyd.

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Big boss man has been known to make interruption.

14. likestohypeguy

Aren't they charging people, who drive-through protest occupied streets, when the protestors do not grant passage? Some cities are at least. I do feel bad for the dog though.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

16. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Wow this is really silly. No, the point is that the guy was willing to take a weapon from an officer and use it. It could easily have been a gun ... or maybe the next thing the guy would have gone after would have been the gun ...or maybe in his next drunk driving incident he killed someone ... or maybe the next cop that pulls him over had to face a similar situation.

The man got what was coming, this was not murder. The GF incident is legitimate and requests attention. This was an officer enforcing the law in a potentially dangerous interaction

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Just stop.

To shoot someone you have to be in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. That obviously does not exist when someone is running away from you. The cop was pissed that he got tased so he murdered this guy. That’s about it.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It would've looked bad for the police if he ran away with the taser and they couldn't catch him, but I think the response has always to shoot a minority armed with a weapon.

Changing that default response is hard when we're tasking cops to patrol the "mean streets of xyz". It's why those police procedurals have been popular for decades. Voters know "bad guys" are out in our own cities, but we don't want to confront why they exist or whether it could be prevented.

Call me cynical, but I'd pay attention to this issue harder when the guilt and high emotion has been washed away, and the media reverts back to its phases of "blue eyed white blonde missing" coverage while black people die in their own streets unnoticed and uncovered.

Give the masses what they want...

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Wait, the cop has to wait until he gets hold of his gun??? That could have been next if he did not shoot him, that is one possibility. Mind you, I don't think shooting the man was the best course of action, but I understand given how dangerous being a cop is, they have to be given respect.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Did you watch the video there were two cops. If he managed to hit the first cop the 2nd cop could have shot him. I don't think anyone is saying Rayshard is innocent, but I don't think he deserved to die.

Let's look at what happen due to the cops actions. He got fired. He got chief fired. He got the Wendy's burned down. Their are massive protests. You have to think about what your actions are going to cause in the current climate.

DVauthrin likes this.