1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we capable of doing it again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bingo, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Bingo

Bingo Member

Seeing as how no one on this board seems to believe Webber will be coming to Houston and no consensus has been reached at least amongst us fans as to what free agent acquisition would most benefit us, do you think the Rockets are capable of reaching 45 wins next year if we re-sign all our free agents (Dream, Mo, Mooch) and play with virtually the same team minus Shandon and plus rookies in the frontcourt? I don't think we will ever improve to a fifty win team unless we get really lucky in this draft (either a great set of picks at 13 and 18) or a miraculous trade to move up some and grab the creme de la creme or sign Cwebb or other veteran front-court help. I pray to God everyday that CD is going to pull something totally unexpectedly brilliant from his little magic hat, say getting into top 5 picks in draft and/or picking up valuable free agents.

------------------

2. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

I could see the Rockets getting more than 50 wins in that situation, especially if they are lucky with injuries. Steve will be even better next year, as will Cuttino. Hopefully Maurice Taylor will realize that he has the size to actully get more than 6 rebounds a game. And Hakeems play looked promising, so if he could continue that performance we could hit 50 easy. Of course getting CWebb would certinly not hurt anything....

------------------
    "Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt", Shaq regarding Hakeem's play in the 95 Finals

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we resign everyone except Shan, I think we can win more than 45 games, but we would win at least that many. I think Dream might have a better idea next year what his body is capable of, and he might take it easy on it, to some degree, increasing his longevity.

But if we were to get Webber (and hopefully resign Mooch at least), then we win at least 50 games. Either way, I think we improve, but resigning Dream seems to be a longshot, in my opinion.

------------------
    What is daylight savings time? And if we are saving so much of it, who's got it all?
    - Mike Warnke

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Its highly unlikely that the Rockets will sign Dream for next season. With Feagan proudly by his side, Dream will command much more than we can dish out.

------------------
    "We make more, but we spend more."
    Patrick Ewing

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If the Rockets can improve enough to beat the Clippers and Nuggets next year, then they will win more than 50 games.

This year: 45 wins
    3 losses to the Clippers, 3 losses to the Nuggets. That should have been 51 wins already...

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I could see the team progressing without Shandon, especially with zone being implemented and the Rockets ability to shoot. My only concern though is in Shan's absence will our defense suffer that much?

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

My Mockumentary

atheistalliance.org

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

I don't think our D will suffer that much as long as we draft a SF that is a decent shooter and 2 blocking big men like K. Johnson and S. Dalemburt.I think that since it's looking more like Webber isn't coming to H-town we should start pitching hard towards Marc Jackson.He's young and plays hard every night,REBOUNDS,and still will get better.If we sign him that will give us more salary room for other FA like Jim Jackson,
    that boy can shoot and that is what we'll need with a zone and with Shandon(no shot)
    Anderson) leaving,who'll complain?
    Tell me what ya'll think.

------------------