1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who are the free agentsd rockets are looking at

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Justin, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Justin

Justin Member

I heard talks about-
    1.Chris Webber
    2.Rubin Patterson
    3.Robert Horry
    4.Bo Outlaw

who els are they looking at?
    which one of these player's do you think has the best chance of being a rocket.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

You like starting topics. Well people might not respond to your questions when you misspell a header. [​IMG] Anyways, your question will be answered over the course of the summer. Enjoy the offseason.

------------------
    Stevierebel

[This message has been edited by Stevierebel (edited June 03, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Stevierebel (edited June 03, 2001).]

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Quick Stevie, edit the way you spelled "course".

------------------
    "Light travels faster than sound, so some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." -- Brian Williams (now Bison Dele) commenting on Isiah Thomas.

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

[​IMG]

------------------

5. Stevierebel

[​IMG] Thank you. Carry on.

------------------
    Stevierebel

6. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

Robert Horry would be more available. Lakers have cap problems. Horry might even have to take a cut to come here, and he might consider it. A second problem with Horry would be the prospect of his playing the 4 or even the 5 if he signs here.

Outlaw looks to be equally expensive, and the Rockets need someone who will score in the paint, he is too small to play center.

Webber is the most desirable, but I am not sure we will get him without a proven center.
    Other teams are sure to put together attractive packages in competition with us.

Patterson, haven't really considered the scenario.

I am pinning my hopes on resigning the players we already have.

------------------

[This message has been edited by win14me (edited June 03, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by win14me (edited June 03, 2001).]

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mark Jackson?

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

8. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

I have seen notes that at least Chicago and Orlando are looking strongly at Mr. Jackson.

------------------

9. DJ

DJ Member

Along with Chris Webber, the Houston Rockets would like to sign their own free agents. There have been some talk on power forwards/centers Antonio Davis of the Toronto Raptors and Marc Jackson of the the Golden State Warriors.
    Antonio Davis has really excited Rocket fans. Some Rocket fans would like to see him playing for the Rockets because of he rebounds well, plays defense and has a good jump shot. Davis can play the power forward or center.
    Marc Jackson was a rookie this past season. Jackson, drafted in the second round a few years ago, made an immediate impact on the Warriors. Jackson is a terrific scorer and rebounder. In an early portion of this season Jackson had a 30 point game with about 10-16 rebounds. Jackson became a leading candidate for rookie of the year and started in the Rookie All-Star Game. However, Jackson did not get the rookie of the year award because he suffered an injury. Jackson has said that he is interested in playing for the Houston Rockets.

------------------

10. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I thought the whole 'Sean Colson' thing was about getting Marc Jackson to want to come here.

------------------
    I'M COOKING WITH GAS...

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

After the big man problems are resolved, I would like to see the Rockets persue Eddie Robinson. Some posters here feel his outside shot is suspect, but with def. rebounding from the 5 and 4 postion Steve, Cat & Robinson would be awesome on a break.

If Robinson would/could improve his range, his athletic abilities would be a huge plus (especially in the new NBA Zone).

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited June 04, 2001).]

12. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Here's some points to remember:

1. Davis is almost assuredly NOT coming to Houston. He and his family have been pursuing a life in Florida for a couple of weeks, and insiders say that is where he will be at the start of the season.

2. Robert Horry and Rudy had more than a few words over the ("Barkley/Willis for everyone else") trade that sent Horry from Houston. He was an RT prototypical player but he is getting harder and harder to motivate for the season games. RT would like him but does not need him like he used to. Horry has all those obvious reasons to be back here in Houston. But it better be an extremely advantageous trade before either would give the nod to it. I can't see it happening under present conditions.

3.Jackson's talent still has a few question marks attached to it. he is not an instant savior. But he is definitely on CD/RT's "look long and hard" short FA list. Personally, I think he will be expensive, highly sought after and unless we can parlay a trade in there somewhere, he will be difficult to acquire with our present stance.

4. As someone so aptly pointed out .... we have several Free Agents of our own that we need to sign. Things like moving up in the draft or acquiring another available player without first settling Moochie's requests, getting some indication of MoTay's "official" desires or having Bull give his final word on retirement/no retirement would be ludicrous.

5. One of the "problems" with the draft, etc... is that it takes place 4-5 days BEFORE a team is able to officially talk to Free agents. Yet, what type of players you want to draft, depends largely on what the reasonable expected roster will look like at summer's end. That includes any FA acquistions and home resigners. (Note: The league has adjusted and will likely readjust the "talk only" and "can sign" dates a little more realistically each year, but IMHO they are philosophically reversed in order. I think the draft should come AFTER a reasonable FA talking period, and even closer to the "begin to sign date". Not before as it is today.)

------------------

13. Smoke

Smoke Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by oeilpere:
    4. As someone so aptly pointed out .... we have several Free Agents of our own that we need to sign. Things like moving up in the draft or acquiring another available player without first settling Moochie's requests, getting some indication of MoTay's "official" desires or having Bull give his final word on retirement/no retirement would be ludicrous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the Rockets seem to have been working to move up in the draft, have they already accomplished some of these goals? Moving up, would seem to indicate targeting a specific player or position. Would they move up to draft a project or add depth? I don’t see the high school talent helping that soon. The only position we could hope to gain immediate help at, is SF. If this is their goal, they must have a handle on the power positions for the next few years. Webber seems to be a reach. Without him, could we fit Dream, Jackson, Mo and Moochie? I'd be happy with that.

14. Jack _Hammer

Jack _Hammer Member

You like starting topics. Well people might not respond to your questions when you misspell a header. Anyways, your question will be answered over the course of the summer. Enjoy the offseason.

LOL Stevie.. is it necessary to belittle one's typos? It happens and I'm sure he wanted to correct it as soon as he posted. Let's talk basketball and quit the nonsense.

------------------

15. Stevierebel

See, I was being sarcastic. I enjoy new peoples' input and ideas. I just saw that he was a new member and had misspelled a word in the title. I apologize for any personal feelings that were hurt but anyone. I just wanted my turn in initiating a new member. Sorry. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stevierebel