1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this still going to be one of the biggest offseason for the Rock's ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a.k.a vince, Jun 3, 2001.

1. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Remember that CD said that near the end of the season this year.

Man I hope we don't get disappointed.

I say trade the 13th,18th, Williams, and Cato for Fizer, Miller, and the 4th pick in the Draft.

Sign and trade for Webber. Send the Kings Mo Taylor and Kenny Thomas. Also send the Kings 2 number 1 picks to be paid off in the next 7 years.

Draft Terrence Morris with the 23 pick. To play SG and some SF. His defense could come in handy when playing the Lakers.

So the Rockets could look like this.

Francis/Norris
    Mobley/T. Morris(a sf, but could play sg)
    Battier/Langhi
    Webber/Fiezer
    Miller/Collier

The variable is that instead of Drafting Battier at the 4th spot, the Rockets may take Curry or Griffin if available there.

------------------

[This message has been edited by a.k.a vince (edited June 03, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by a.k.a vince (edited June 03, 2001).]

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

goodness gracious great balls of fire. that trade you propose with the bulls must be the craziest of craziest i've seen.

------------------

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

AHHHHHHHHH! Don't draft Battier if we have the 4TH PICK!

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

4. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

a.k.a. vince

Ummmmmm....NO!

Two words - salary cap

Cato ($7,000,000) + Williams ($5,000,000) = $12,000,000

Fizer ($2,000,000) + Miller ($5,000,000) = $7,000,000.

That does not cut the mustard!

Go back and read the "Epiphany" post. At the very least, to propose a trade, you have to supply realistic terms with the salary cap in mind.

No really, you are on the right track though.

ROCKET!!!

------------------

5. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

finalsbound,
    I'm with you! Why in the world would you acquire a #4 and no go for the moon? If Brown or Curry are on the board, how do you not take one of them?

If you have Webber and you traded away your center, Brother you better grab Curry!

ROCKET!!!

------------------

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ROCKET!!!-The Bulls are about 25 million under the cap. They can absorb 4 mill very easily.

The bigger question is why would they trade a very good, starting caliber PF in Fizer, a serviceable center in Miller with a very manageable contract, and a drafted player with superstar potential (#4 pick) for a center who has done very little on a huge contract, a 1-dimensional player, and 2 much lesser picks.

Dawson was talking big in terms of importance, not necessarily wheeling and dealing.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

7. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

NIKEstrad,
    da Bulls position under the cap is irrelevant. Trading rules do not allow for sending $12,000,000 in obligations to one team for $7,000,000 in return.

Trades must be of equal value within a range of less than, I believe the number is $500,000. I am not sure because of the escalation of the cap to $43 million. I do know it is still less that $1 million.

ROCKET!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited June 03, 2001).]

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Survey says...

X-X-X !!!!!!!!!

Right now, Da Bulls and The Pistons are taking lots of phone calls because they can absorb more salary cap than they give up. We could send Walt and Cato to Chicago for a 2nd round pick if we wanted. For example, the Pistons and Da Bulls are the only prayers that the Knicks have in landing Webber (here's hoping it doesn't happen).

------------------

9. Colby

Colby Member

I think its a % thing for trades. But the rules get wacky when teams are under the cap.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Position under the cap is everything.

Trades for teams OVER the salary cap must be within 15%+100K.

When trading while under the cap, you can make any trade you please as long as you do not end up over 100K over the cap.

...Not to mention BYC issues of Cato, due to the fact we are still over the cap until/if we renounce Hakeem. Or the fact that Cato makes 6 mill, not 7; Miller makes 4.4 million not 5; and Fizer makes 2.7 mill, not 2.

Cap Space can be used for more than just free agents. It can be used in trades too. If it weren't for cap space, then substantial trade exceptions wouldn't exist.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think that Da Bulls would go for that trade either...maybe if you take out Miller or Fizer, but we won't get both and the #4 pick. They would probably much rather give up Fizer, so thats probably who we'd get.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

12. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

1. Collier out performed Cato by virue of the fact that he made it to the court for most of the season, then did as he was told.

2. Without attempting (or appearing) to compare the two, both Dream and Cato have the same three edged sword pointed questionally at them. (a) physically being able to play as designed, meaning healthy and able. (b) buying into Rudy's Rocket Game being a Team Effort with personal goals, experience, paycheck, statistics, prideful presentation, number of starts, etc ... taking a backseat to team success. (c) wrapping an attitude around a fervent desire to put your best effort out on the court everytime you play, regardless of your personal agenda.

3. Given the choice, I would prefer Dream and Cato, if Cato could ever get his head around the game. But make no mistake, I would take Miller and Collier in a heart beat if neither Dream or Cato came to play the team game. Frankly, I probably have given up hope on Cato all together, and my tolerance for Dream's vision of himself (versus Rocket's future success) is slowly waning. So, you'll not get much argument from me if Cato is gone, and Dream signs his career ending contract somewhere else .... I think both are getting more and more inevitable every day.

------------------

13. DJ

DJ Member

Everytime the Rockets prepare for an offseason, it is said that it would be one of the biggest offseasons for the Rockets.

------------------

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nike has already done a good job of explaining the trade rules, but I'll toss out an example to demonstrate his point.

Cap space is what made it possible to trade Scottie Pippen for Roy Rogers.

------------------

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if you think our center position is bad now wait until the only two centers we have are miller and collier [​IMG]

------------------