1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Okay catch me up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think "gambling" is appropriate, due in part to Capela being so young. If we traded away a center on his last legs (like a Tyson Chandler) for RoCo, then it wouldn't be a gamble.

Also, we're going to have to deal with the likes of Gobert / Davis / Jokic / Porzingis throughout the playoffs. While it's a bit ridiculous to say the Rockets won't have any success playing smallball, it's definitely hard to say if we'll be able to beat a team with an all-world big, 4 times out of 7.

kjayp and MettaWorldPete like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rockets were very mediocre until Tilman and Westbrook decided to intervene. Tilman made some good trades that made the delusionals angry. Westbrook called out Harden's diva ass attitude and since then has turned the corner by playing d and stepping in when he doesn't have the ball. Life is good for now.

kjayp likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!

LOL

topfive likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

To Morey it was never a gamble, it was simple math.

Rockets were more successful with Clint out of lineup than they were with him in.

And the Covington trade has not only improved the defense, but the offense as well. Hell RoCo is averaging 2.3 blocks to Clint's 1.8. It was win-win all around.

So to OP question, lots of changes that have led to great success, Rockets knocking on door of 2nd seed. That would never have happened without RoCo, at least not this effortlessly.

And Rockets are not only back in contention they have done so with swag, with style and with sensation.

5. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

1. Since the end of January, James Harden found himself - back to his normal self.
    2. Russ has not regressed to whatever externally-projected mean. Instead, he's established himself as the next coming of Shaq.
    3. Pertinent but as it relates to ASG, Giannis poked fun at Harden once provoked by Sir Charles and a second time unprovoked when he gameplanned the 4th qtr to target James, which gloriously failed.
    4. Robert Covington aka RoCo became one of the top 3 leading shot blockers since the trade for Clint Capela, who if you're into keeping tabs on former players is still injured.
    5. Jeff Green and DeMarre Carroll were bought out and acquired. With Green being on a 10-day contract, he's looking like he's likely to make the team given how seamlessly he's fit in as proven by his consistency thus far. DeMarre appears to be finding his way.
    6. BMac is shooting lights out.
    7. Russ created some drama by drawing 2 techs in a blowout win. He's close to reaching that magical 16.
    8. MDA looks interested in coaching now that we've fully abandoned the traditional big man in favor of 48-min of small ball. Given how successful this turns out, he may be coaching for an extension.
    9. Thanks to RoCo and Green, Tucker's minutes have gone down significantly, thankfully.
    10. Rockets playing tomorrow against the Grizz who whooped us. Watch for Harden to pop off now that Russ can play them for the first time.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Before Covington trade (per basketball-reference.com)
    50 games....118.8 pts.....114.5 opp pts...91.4 FGA...15.3 (3PM)...41.4 (3PA)...34.8% (3P%)...26.6 FTA...78.3% (FT%)
    After Covington trade
    7 games......117.0 pts.....112.0 opp pts....86.4 FGA...17.0 (3PM)...46.0 (3PA)...37.0% (3P%)...23.9 FTA...81.4% (FT%)

Before Covington trade
    .......................46.3 TRB....21.6 ast......8.2 stls.......5.0 blks......14.1 TOV
    After Covington trade
    .......................37.6 TRB....20.6 ast.......9.9 stls......5.6 blks.......12.7 TOV

Approx. 1.8 less pts/gm.....2.5 less pts for opponents....5 less FGA’s but played vs Boston/Lakers/Utah(2).....
    1.7 more 3PM.....4.6 more 3PA’s.....2.2% greater 3P%......2.7 less FT’s.....but greater FT% of 3.1%................
    about 9 less TRB’s........1.0 less asts........1.7 more stls.....0.6 more blks.....1.4 less TOV’s...............................

Jeff Green looks comfortable in our system from day one. D Carroll is starting to look better in last game (imho).

Westbrook missed a game vs Suns and Eric Gordon missed a couple of games since the Covington trade.

Look for the Rockets offensive numbers to trend up while the defensive numbers go down (improve) as new players
    get in a groove or find their nitch.

Rockets will go 22 out of final 25 games and secure 2nd seed.

Rockets bust some (explicitives) during the playoffs.

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

LOL! But how can you not be this way!

D-rock likes this.
  8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I liked the analogy of another poster (I believe it was Dr of Dunk) who said that it’s like we discovered the bow and arrow, and we’re not waiting for someone to discover gunpowder. Exactly how I feel

D-rock likes this.
  9. TheresTheDagger

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Seems like just a month ago that people were defending Harden standing at half court as a brilliant move by MDA...
    I said it was just a lame attempt to placate Hardens desire to take plays off without leaving the floor...

I wonder how the revisionists spin this now... lol

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You both can be quite petty when it comes to Harden and MDA. One of, if not THE, greatest scorer in the NBA and the winningest coach in franchise history. 2 of the greatest innovators in the history of NBA.

And you guys are focusing on that?????

Not liking all the double digit wins or challenging for 2nd seed?

Not boring, historic, revolutionary or beautiful enough for you guys?

12. kjayp

See man... I never understand why some people have to put guys on pedestals and bury their heads regarding any shortcomings...
    These are just men... they're not infallible... nor should they be expected to be...
    And once you realize that they are mere mortals, you can see possible human errors and acknowledge them...

but i guess denial is more than just a river in Egypt...

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All is well until it is not.

I like to believe that.

macan likes this.
  14. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Yes, there are teams that will adjust. Yes, there are teams that can match up with us. But what I am curious to see is how other teams hold up across a long series. Yes, this is the NBA, and every team has 7 to 8 guys that can play this way. But we are going to force teams to play this way for 48 minutes for 7 games. Most teams are built to run this way in stretches of a game, not an entire game (much less 7 consecutive games).

Meanwhile, we have a whole roster built to play this way. I envision teams scrambling to figure out a rotation to beat us and running them into the ground across 7 games once they finally find the guys that can do it. I could be wrong, but it will be interesting at least.

vator and kjayp like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Covington never slacked on D, and the phoenix game was bad for everyone.

I bet Roco slacked in Minny.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let me get this straight
    • You: Harden is lazy. Look how he just stands 40' away
    • Me: No, we're going 4x4 with WB, when defenders don't leave Harden. We did it with Paul last year, too. If the defender would drop below the arc like a normal defender, then I'd agree. But they don't. It's 4x4.
    • You: Nice attempt to spin it
    • Me: What? Just because your narrative didn't consider advantages of 4x4 offense, doesn't mean I'm spinning things.
    • Many Analyst: See what Rockets are doing when defenses guard Harden so far out.
    • You: Spinning
    • More Analysts: WB is learning how to attack 4x4 and coming into his own.
    • You: Spinning
    • Me: Portland is copying us with Lillard doing the same thing for McCollum
    • You: Lillard is lazy too
    Narrative-builders telling other people they are spinning is rich.

Dude, this is basketball. I don't spin it. 4x4 is right there in front of me. Quit spinning that into some narrative of yours.

And lastly, Rockets are still doing this. If what you were saying is they stopped, which somehow proves something in the past??? I've seen it against LAL, and the home game againt Jazz. WB is attacking it faster, too, like a delayed transition, or 7SOL.

Maybe I'll post vids from recent games, so we can watch you spin the game of basketball again, to suit your narratives. lulz

Watching WB abuse the scheming defenses on Harden is special fun. Leave the narratives at the door and enjoy this.

Fyreball and jordnnnn like this.
  17. kjayp

Thats a very valid point and may benefit us greatly!
    As aforementioned, I'm more concerned with MDAs post season rotation, though... we all know the man likes his short rotations - esp in the playoffs... I think if he tries to go less than 9 or 10 we will be screwed. We've all seen the impact of tired legs on our shooters at various times over the years and I believe the same would hold true for our disruptive smothering defense... If guys are tired and a little slower getting hands up and into the passing lines the defense will fall apart.
    Hopefully he has enough guys he's 'comfortable' with at this point and keeps the rotation long in the post season.

...imo

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  18. kjayp

Hey man... pardon me, Hey Partner... lol

I have no need to push a narrative.... My only concerns are our team doing the right things that can get us a championship... and that includes watching for tendencies that could bite us on the butt down the road... like inconsistent effort...

Granted, I dont get the opportunity to watch every game intently... but from what I've seen, the Harden standing at half court pretty much disappeared once WB called Harden out... Maybe there are a few occasions where its still being used - but I havent seen it since... At the same time, I've seen Harden more involved when he hasnt had the ball - and he's been a great contributor to our swarming disruptive defense... To which, I say - good for him! I appreciate the effort!

The whole premise of the half court thing is illogical imo... if he's drawing 2 defenders out to him - cool - thats a benefit... but if we're sacrificing removing 'one of the best offensive players of all time' on the offensive end to remove 1 random defender... that doesnt seem very logical...

Before we had James providing lackluster defense - because 'he had to carry such an immense load on offense'...and with the half court we were removing him entirely from the offense at various times... If the man needs a breather - let him sit for a couple minutes... I know he doesnt like to do so and would rather stay on court and just catch his breath by taking plays off or bringing the ball up slowly - I think that counterproductive...

It would be my desire to see every player working it every minute they are on the court - as we've done over the last 10+ games... but maybe thats just me being unreasonable...

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

LOL no need to push a narrative?

You have 3 things that make up about 90% of your posts.

Dogging Harden. You will find just about anything to nitpick and confirm in your bias mind that he’s lazy and selfish.
    Dogging MDA. You have been pushing the anti MDA narrative since he arrived.
    Dogging Morey. Of the 3 this is the one you have piped down quite a bit on, but I know you secretly can not stand his out of the box thinking. You dragged your feet with the 3 point revolution. You clearly think this small ball is a joke. If it’s not 1970s YMCA fundamental team basketball you hate it and think it’s destined to fail.

And now you are doing the CLASSIC message board “I was right all along” trick.

You point out something that isn’t a problem at all, but in your mind it is a very real problem.

Then we play well and do some winning.

Then you say “SEE, that thing that I said was a problem was finally fixed and THAT is why were playing better. Told you guys”

When in reality your concern was never a problem at all.

Hell you admit yourself you aren’t even watching all of the games and truly paying attention to every thing. Harden standing at half court is still happening because it’s still effective. Just because you don’t understand that having Westbrook with a head of steam and the space that 4v4 gives is a HUGE advantage, doesn’t mean that it isn’t.

And to top it off you accuse others of being in denial.... come on man

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is a way to discuss without first attacking Harden or MDA.

There is more positive with the 2 than negative, so much more.

#40 D-rock, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020