1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unsubscribe to the Ringer Podcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dmoneybangbang, Feb 24, 2020.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Who cares about two facking nobody randoms, don't give them an audience, save your time and money and go watch the houston teams!

charlieaustin and amaru like this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I hear what your saying and maybe we are splitting hairs. You’re right he is being biased as it is his own opinion. BUT he is straight up saying “I don’t like watching the rockets”

If you are biased and say you are biased, then that’s fairly transparent IMO

3. dmoneybangbang

It doesn’t seem like you hear it... He’s biased and claims he isn’t biased when it comes to analysis.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes, which is why Rockets fans are saying he is biased and unreasonable, despite him saying he isn't. lmao.

But once again...Bill Simmons is one of the more uninformed media members out there. Dude watches the Celtics and then like 5 minutes of each other team a week.

5. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Listen to Crime Junkies instead. Much more enjoyable.

6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

He didn't quite "get fired" but ESPN parted ways with him by not renewing his contract and didn't engage in discussions with him to bring him back. They were ready to move on.

As was pointed out by another poster, he didn't sell Grantland. ESPN owned it and shut it down a little while after he left.

Props to him for figuring out the podcast game and making a bunch of money selling the Ringer because of that, but I still find him insufferable and don't care for the Ringer all that much outside of a couple of folks on the podcast network and the occasional gem on the site. I was a big fan of his back in the day and he's always been insufferable, biased and hypocritical, but he's nowhere close to as funny as he used to be. Grantland was also a substantially better website.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm not the type of fan who bases my opinions of media members on how they feel about the Rockets. What I care about are people who actually watch games and base their opinions on what's actually happening and not stupid narratives. In that regard the Ringer crew (aside from the group chat people cause they spend the whole show trying to make hot takes) is second only to Open Floor imo. Disagree with their opinions all you want but at least acknowledge that they're based on something. And this whole Bill hating the rockets thing is just a classic example of "old man yells at cloud" and it's especially satisfying when he admits he's wrong because he's not above doing that unlike some other pundits. The worst thing would be an echo chamber of just positive review for the Rockets.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I dont hear anything hes said that suggest his bias comes from disliking the playstyle. He says he doesn't like the Rockets chances due to relying on PJ's health, getting beat up too much in the playoffs, and teams figuring out their defense in a Bo7 matchup. None of these arguments have anything to do with aesthetics, and they're much more more thoughtful and makes much more sense than all the "cant win shooting 3s" and "only one ball cant work with 2 PGs" stuff I hear a lot more elsewhere.

All the reasons he doesnt think the Rockets are on par with the LAs and Buck are pretty conventional takes.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

He literally said "I f***ing hate watching the Rockets". Y'all must be listening to a different podcast.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah both he and Russillo always talk about how they hate watching Houston. Points I generally hear from them is they don’t like watching free throws or jacking 3s or the always awesome “don’t want to watch one guy with the ball while everyone just stands around”

The problem with those arguments....

We do take the most 3s. But teams they LOVE to fawn over, Dallas or Milwaukee, only take a few less than we do.

We do take the most free throws, but again teams they LOVE take maybe 1-5 less than we do per game.

Harden literally isolates about 14 possessions per game. Only a handful of those are of the “dribble for 20 seconds while everyone watches” variety. This take is truly just a lazy over exaggeration of what’s actually happening in these games.

For those reasons when I hear these types of takes I feel like they say they hate Houston just to fit in with the rest of mindless lemmings. Their justification for disliking our play style just falls apart when you look at the actual facts of it all.

HP3 and clutchdabear like this.
  11. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

Sorry to tell you but they steal other people’s content.

12. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

You sound a bit like how he describes Houston fans. You know there is more than one opinion allowed on things.

13. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

He’s definitely a huge homer. And I concede the bias. But when he’s got a dude on next to him saying “we always say this and Daryl always proves us wrong”, it strikes a little more balance

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

In my opinion, that just proves that people are constantly looking for reasons to discredit Morey and the Rockets instead of opening their mind that they may be wrong. Their hate of the Rockets clouds their objectivity.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think Simmons is lazy, doesn't not put in the work of watching, researching and analysis sports (or anything) anymore. Like a lot of people, has fallen into this received wisdom understanding of sports that ties in with the teams he roots for. All of this is fine, but he is paid to watch, think and talk about sports and he's not that great at it anymore.

16. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

tell me more

17. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Only Ringer podcast that I really find any good is The Press Box with Bryan Curtis.

18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Also it’s weird to me to hate a team simply because you don’t like their style. Serve & volley tennis isn’t my favorite, but I wish there were still a few around. The more variety the better.

19. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I don’t listen to them but my girlfriend was really into them until last year when some guy said that they took his article word for word and then more people came out saying that they did the same to them. The content they took were from small people with no money and no fans so they had no recourse. That’s what I remember from what my GF told me about it. You can check it out if you google “crime junkies plagiarism”. Here is a link to some evidence. https://reddit.app.link/wpu05Kf4o4

Mr. Turbo likes this.
  20. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

This was when we were beating down the Lakers

This was when we were beating down his Celtics