1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Josh Becket be coming to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Roc Paint, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I give drayton credit for andy.. but i give the credit for roger coming to andy..

once the fans and media went insane with wanting roger.. the backlash would have been huge if he did not try to sign him..

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

by the way the move I give drayton the most credit for this offseason is nolan ryan.. because from what I heard he was the person who contacted nolan and made sure we got him. major props for getting nolan back where he belongs

3. franchise?..NOT

How about Redding and Buchholz for Beckett. Marllins get a one and a three. We add another top of the rotation guy.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So how much money exactly is Pettitte paying Clemens?

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

drayton is paying him 0 this year.. and I don't think he will own the team much longer so I guess landys is paying him.. just kidding...

roger was a no brainer.. part of his contract is based on attendance.. the extra people in the seats plus jerseys etc more than pays his salary..

i just don't give people a lot of credit for no brainer decisions that anyone would make

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I like drayton.. I have very few issues with him..

the only issues I have with him are

1) saying the astrodome is fine to play in, and then wanting a new stadium or he is leaving. We all disliked Bud, but Drayton and Les threatened to leave just as well.

2) I think he is too smart a businessman to lose money. If he was losing money the team would have been sold long ago. You are entitled to make a profit, I just don't want to hear that you lost money after we built a new stadium for you.

As far as liking owners personally he is my 2nd favorite houston owner. Bob McNair, Drayton, and then Les. I like Les, but I put the other two ahead because they talk to the Houston public. I always hear McNair and Drayton on the radio, but not Les.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Aside from the attendance bonus payout, Clemens will be paid 1.5 million this year (2004), with the remaining 3.5 million payable in 2006.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

bobrek. I apologize then, I had the numbers wrong. I thought I read somewhere that it was up to 5 mil with attendance .. and that it was all paid later. I must have remembered that incorrectly, thanks for the correct numbers

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If I haven't posted this yet, I will here.

Drayton is working his way into Bob McNair, Les Alexander can't question the dedication to win category.

That's as much props I can give him...for now.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Why is Steinbrenner always cited as an example of a good owner? He's traditionally been one of the worst there is. You want Drayton to take losses on the hope that he'll make them up when he sells the team, but Steinbrenner doesn't take losses. He owns the team that almost always has the highest profits in all of MLB.

Steinbrenner can spend money because his team makes far more money than any other team can make. When Drayton spends practically all that the Astros make, he's a cheapskate. When Steinbrenner walks away with tens of millions in profit every year, he's a great owner.

If Steinbrenner owned the Twins, we'd hear nothing but complaints about what a cheapskate he is.

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mrpaige.. and the problem with steinbrener is eventually you have to stop spending money that much... I heard that in order to make a profit he has to make the world series this year. There is a certain limit you reach where if he keeps raising salaries he will lose money. According to the yankee fans I know they jacked up tickets a lot this year..

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It's just silly that people point to Steinbrenner's spending and say that it proves he puts winning above profit when he's been neck deep in profits for years while other owners spend a greater percentage of their revenues and are called cheapskates who put money ahead of winning.

Would Steinbrenner lose money year after year after year owning the Twins? Probably not, but because he has access to a bigger revenue pie than anyone else, he's lauded as a good owner beause he spends some of it.

Get full revenue sharing in place and see how much the Yankees spend compared to everyone else.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The best owner in the Majors isn't Steinbrenner, it's Arte Moreno. He's been cutting prices like crazy and the team has managed to make more money under his first year than they did the year before he arrived. If only he had bought the Astros, we'd be made in the shade.

14. rockets688

rockets688 Member

You said it.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If that's the case the Astros would just have to go after Kerry Wood then.

Don't mess with Texas :)