1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Whoa] Rich Lord is out at 610

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2019.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'd rather have Stephen A Smith scream loudly in my face 24/7 than to have Josh Innes back on any kind of radio in Houston.

Torn n Frayed and gucci888 like this.
  2. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Curious how much these radio hosts bring in. Surely with all the shuffling around and several days on the unemployment line, it's gotta be accounted for...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cant be much at all. Matt Thomas works like 9 jobs. Lulz.

BeardNation13 and J.R. like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Fify

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Rich may have been the most well-paid in town given his longevity and slot.

I don't think most of them make as much as they maybe used to given the amount of shuffling. I think that's why we see a lot more pushing of the live read ads for testosterone etc., they get a little cut from that I believe

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep, and on 740 first, back in the early 1990s. Then they later teamed up again (for a shorter time IIRC) on 610.

It gradually (or eventually) became clear that Charlie was the real workhorse of the two.

But they did make a good pairing for sports radio.

bobloblaw likes this.
  7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Charlie is a legend. I need to listen to him on 97.5–always forgetting about his show. He’s the most well informed Houston sports guy and I love the cynical savagery that he treats guests with when deserving.

BruceAndre and Houstunna like this.
  8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

About ****ing time. He sucked, hard.

9. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I've been all over the world... Houston food is vastly superior to almost everywhere I've been... We're seriously spoiled here.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember when Kenny Hand (accurately) called Adolph Rupp a racist on their afternoon show either during Don Haskins's passing or the anniversary of that Texas Western national championship game, they probably lost two hours fielding calls from some massive Houston contingent of old-ass Kentucky fans.

Nook likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Stumbled upon a Josh Ennis podcast over the weekend.
    1. he's still unemployed with no prospects
    2. insists he's not bitter, then rambles on for 15 minutes about how bitter he is
    3. insists he's not going to kick Rich when he's down, then rambles on for 15 minutes insulting Rich
    4. says the reason he's not working right now is because he's too good at what he does and other stations are too boring to hire him (they just want sports talk and that's just beneath a talent such as himself.....)
    Seriously, I hate to see anyone unemployed....but now might be a good time for him to re-assess, you know? That's what grown ups do.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Thank you for doing recon work in places most of us would dare not tread. Props.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Now I'm convinced you're a true glutton for punishment.

travfrancis likes this.
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Definitely. You can tell that Charlie does his homework and his research.

That's the real problem with sports talk radio. These guys just expect to show up and blather without having done any research, and expect that we will think that's interesting.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Imagine being disabled...

16. conquistador#11

What did your friend say? Was he disappointed @ josh or was he at peace knowing that with Josh you're basically working on borrowed time. It's pretty *****y that Josh's antics had 2 other people fired.

17. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

If by 2 people, you mean one of them to be Adam Clanton, then, that is probably the best things Josh Innes did for 790. Sad to see Clanton back. The show last week with Wexler and guest (be it Matt Jackson or other) was so much better to listen to

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I haven't talked to him. I didn't want to ask him so soon after it happened, because that would have been a dick move. But yeah, I was seeking him out now that some time has passed, and that's how I stumbled on the podcast.

I think he knew what he was getting into from the get-go. Still feel bad because he's actually a great guy and nothing like the way he was on the show in real life. Seems like he's been black-balled now, thanks to his association with Josh - which is a real shame.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seek profesional help.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The choices you make professionally are just that.....choices. He knew what he was getting himself into. If he was that opposed to any of it, he could have made a principled stand at any time, and probably saved his long-term credibility in the industry. I'm not knocking the guy for looking out for what's best for himself in the short-term, but guys like Josh are toxic, and when you align yourself with someone like that, bad things can happen.