1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook sending Rockets signals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Would have to be 2021 first. I'm sure other teams could do better as a third team facilitator to get Winslow. Our best hope for doing anything of significance this off season is for Westbrick to go to anyone other than Miami and to get Miami to take on Chris Paul for Winslow and Dragic and buy out Dragic or find a third team to take him for a pick from us and expirings from them.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Stepien Rule doesn't apply as the 2019 draft has passed. We can trade any single pick we want right now. I'm not sure that many teams can provide cap savings like we can due to the unique nature of Shump's situation and would be willing to take on Winslow's contract while sending out a pick. Just remember he has the ability to become an UFA in 2 years with a player option and will likely command a much bigger contract than he's on if he breaks out. So you're either looking at a near max deal or you're looking at a guy who never reaches his potential.

3. rockets13champs

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Westbrook: Hey Morey I wanna play with my friend James and I’m ready to be the 3rd star on your contender.

The Rockets:
    [​IMG]

bilaal14, BigM, lakersuck2 and 2 others like this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

I just don't see it happening at all .

6. Dream Shook

Dream Shook Member

First of all, this is never gonna happen, zero chance.

Second, why would anyone want Westbrick of all people??? Dude is worst cancer in the history of the NBA. Literally all he does is stat pad and try to get his precious triple double every night, no matter the cost. He'll go as far as snatching rebounds out of teammates hands, shooting into triple coverage when hes got 2 guys wide open on the wings, whatever it takes to get his numbers.

We dont need that cancer on the Rockets.

napalm06 and ROXTXIA like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Same thing I asked about Covington - why would the Thunder not take Winslow for themselves?

Yes they want to move off Westbrook's deal & get under the LT but they still need to field a roster afterwards.

Sumpert at $10M(even if it's one year) or Winslow at $13M/Covington at $12M? That's an easy decision. :)

Justise Winslow
    $13,000,000
    $13,000,000
    $13,000,000 (Team Option)
    3 years, $39M

Robert Covington
    $11,301,219
    $12,138,345
    $12,975,471
    3 years, $36,415,035

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets need to be opportunistic and BE that 3rd team to extract asset value in facilitating this Westbrook to Miami / OKC getting out of the LT trade.

luckyman76 and Deckard like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, something like that.

treyk3 likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was under the impression year 3 was a player option on Winslow, it being a club option changes a lot, I'm not sure where I read player option but it was mistaken. If i'm Morey I'm sending 2020 (top 10 protected) and 2022 (top 14 protected) to OKC, if I can jump on this. It's a hard sell, but just hope that Presti values picks and an expiring contract at a lower number versus a $13 million contract.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is a fair question to ask. The alternative is getting a lower salary and a FRP to add to the war chest. OKC while they want to field a roster, might prefer adding FRPs to their asset chest to better align their talent horizon moving forward. Perhaps Winslow/Covington does not align there. It is the reason a team like the Hawks moved off of Prince. He is young....but not as young as the core. Even be a few years. Sometimes GMs like to align the talent.
    OKC getting Herro would be an alignment.

joshuaao and treyk3 like this.
  12. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

man some of you are some freakin gullible and naive

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No new twitter rumors about Russ?

14. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

I don't get Rockets fans infatuation with Winslow at all. The guy has been somewhat of a disappointment since he got drafted. His a solid defender and inconsistent three point shooter. I'd rather have Covington over Winslow. He's longer at 6'9 and his 3 pt shooting is more consistent than Winslow. Honestly, I probably would take Iggy over Winslow for his championship pedigree. Just not sure what everyone here sees in Winslow.

javal_lon likes this.
  15. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Covington is almost 30 and doesn’t fit a rebuilding timeline. Winslow on the other hand...

Deckard likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, Covington is 28. By the time they could be ready, he'll be 31 & his contract is up.
    But they can still take him on & trade him later. (And surely they(or even Minnesota) can do better than Iman Shumpert + the 20th-25th pick)

WInslow is 23. If he doesn't fit their timeline, fold the franchise & move back to Seattle. ;)

blahblehblah likes this.
  17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Problem is, a Miami/OKC trade doesn't offer the Rockets a chance to be opportunistic, as the two teams have all the required pieces to make a trade.

For example, Miami sending Dragic's expiring 19mil + Winslow 13 mil to OKC for Westbrook 38 mil already works and doesn't require a third team (125% rule). The trade puts OKC 5 million under the tax line, leaving them little incentive to trade away Winslow, a young player on a good contract.

I'm not as down on Westbrook's value as Zach Lowe, since he stated on his podcast that he wouldn't even give up Winslow in the trade and instead send either Waiters or Olynyks 2 year contracts, either of which would also work.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Their wasnt enough ball to go around with CP3 and Harden. Is it even serious to contemplate adding a guy who wants the ball all the time, wants every rebound, wants every triple double he can pile up? Please no!

Even moving cp3 to make room I dont like unless it frees up enough $$$ to get a 4 which is what the team really needs.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Do you think giving up 2 1st and then taking on a worse contract is a good thing?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Winslow's shooting a solid percentage from 3, with quite a bump in his attempts. He more than doubled his attempts last season (3.9 per game) and hit .375% of them. That's damn good. A plus defending wing at 6'7" who's young and on a reasonable contract, why the heck not?

biff17 likes this.