1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Iman Shumpert Sign and Trade Options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jul 9, 2019.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

There are no sign and trade options for Iman Shumpert, IMO. He is not the player he used to be. I know some random sports blogger mentioned it, but doesn't seem like a legit option. For any sign and trade to work, you have to sign a player to a contract the other team would be willing to pay. Also the team has to want Iman to replace the player they are trading for whatever reason. I don't think Iman would be worth more than the 5 or 6 mil and that seems like a big stretch. First of all, pretty much every free agent except Iman has already been signed. I don't think this is a fluke, I think there is no market for him. If anything we may have to attach a pick to trade off if we sign him to anything above the minimum. Everytime I see Iman on the court I miss Ariza a little bit more. I think House was a better option last year and we should have let him play through his struggles instead of letting Iman try to get into a groove.

Am I wrong about this? Is there some hidden value in Iman that I have not seen. Was he playing injured or just declining? He seems like a cool guy. His music video wasn't too bad, and his wife also has some great assets as seen in Kanye's video (explicit):

How much do you guys think he is worth? What players would a team really be willing to give up for him? Are there guys with low enough contracts that we can get with a reasonable contract for Iman plus a trade exception? I understand the birds rights are useful to the Rockets, if we think he may have a better season should we just resign him and keep him?

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

His big value is an expiring contract. Whoever signs him now can dump him on someone else before the trade deadline so that other team can free up cap space, either to sign someone now or next summer.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His big value is definitely as an expiring.

But, Shump still has game. He hasn't been fully healthy as a Rocket yet. You want him at the vet minimum...after the buyout.

Kim likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah plenty of teams would want to end a long term contract by trading that player to us for Shumpert's expiring 1yr deal.

no, they don't want him for his production on the court they want him for the expiring contract and pick we package with him.

we can even structure his contract to be really appealing such as NG'ing some of it. say his market value is around $3-5M. we offer him $13.2M which is the most we can without him becoming BYC and complicating a trade. we can guarantee 6 mil and NG the rest. shumpert comes away with more money than he could find on the market and the receiving team saves a ton of money. say Memphis for Iguodala ($17M) would be able to trade for Shumpert, waive him, and reduce the cap hit this year by $11M.

5. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

It's really not about what other teams value him at on the open market. That's not where his value lies.

For example, the Grizzlies just got a first round pick from the Warriors for taking on Andre Iguodala ($17.8 million). If no team was interested in him, they would work with his agent and give him a buyout ($17.8 million payout, minus the veteran minimum deal he signs with his next team).

If the Rockets offered an Iman Shumpert sign and trade at $12 million plus a 2nd round pick to them for Iggy as to not risk the waters in the open market, not only would Memphis gain a free R2 pick (on top of the R1 pick from GS), they'd save themselves about $5 million buying Shump out instead.

BigMaloe, Kim, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

yeah everyone's said it. he could be completely unplayable but if he's a $13m expiring he's useful for matching purposes. having said that though, I don't agree we should have let House play through his struggles. the playoffs are for that. If you don't perform you need to be benched. Shump playing in place of House was the right call given the stakes.

Kim likes this.
  7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

one question I have that I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone know if he's signed to essentially a 1 year deal, can he be aggregated with Ego immediately or only after a few months? Just curious the utilitarian value of such a contract should he be signed to one.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Nets sign Russell and add 2 other players, then sent to GS for Durant. - Double sign and trade.

Durant is a 32-years old damaged good at salary 55 million/year. (3-yr 164M)
    Russell is a 23-years old all-star at salary 27 million/year. (half of the price)
    Salary matching, trade success.
    Crazy.

If you trade Capela for Harrell (half of the price) in June.
    Salary matching, trade success.

#8 BigBum, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. TimV

TimV Member

Sign and trade contracts must be a minimum of three years and the first year must be fully guaranteed. So unless he agrees to a 3 year contract with only the first guaranteed, with the express idea that he would be waived, this only works as a delayed snt where they wait until December 15 to trade him.

Why would he agree to this if someone would offer, say 3 years, $21M guaranteed?

BigMaloe, Kim and Corrosion like this.
  10. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

Shump isn't the asset in any trade other than the ability to get off of his salary. The asset is whatever we attach to him. He will be bought out for way more money than he'll make in this market and then gets to pick his team.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

At this point I would offer him a 1yr/10m contract and plan on him being on the roster to start the season. Maybe something becomes available during the season and you can send him plus Clint or Gordon for about 30m in returning salary.

Shumpert has a bad wrap on this board but I think he could be useful as a player for the Rockets and not just salary filler. He can cover 1-3 pretty well and his 3pt shot is a lot better than what he showed while in Houston. I say give the guy a 2nd chance.

Andre Barrett and mikeiah like this.
  12. onreego

onreego Member

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sheesh. Daryl Morey is a genius. If he can cash this chip for something solid it would be pretty unreal.

I wonder what the numbers are If you throw Capela or Gordon in there.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Winslow, Oubre or Covington in that order please.

Deuce likes this.
  15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The first year of a sign and trade contract hs to be fully guaranteed. Technically it has to be a 3 year deal but the other years dont have to be guatenteed.

Deuce and eric.81 like this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Thanks for the correction.

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Shump needs patience.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SHUMPERT HAS NO VALUE!?!?! SACRILEGE!

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Seriously.

If we can get involved in a Russ to Miami deal and OKC prefers to save money versus paying Winslow.

I'm doing Shump at 10.4 to OKC with a first and multiple seconds and I am getting Winslow. 23 years old. listed at 6-7 with a 6-10 wingspan. can run the point. Great defensive presence. He's a breakout year away from being everyone's favorite non-Rocket. If he takes the next step He's the perfect secondary role player star next to James. HE loves Houston unlike Jimmy Butler.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The value is in what we pay to make it work. We would be sending picks along with him to get whatever we were trading for. The team getting him would be looking at him as a playable NBA player on an expiring deal they could move later on plus the pick(s) we sent along with him.

For example:
    Memphis trades Iggy to HOU for a re-signed Shumpert (3 years, 1st year guaranteed) and a 1st round pick
    Memphis turns Iggy into another expiring player to trade later in the year PLUS a 1st
    At deadline if Iggy is playing well a team might trade another contract for him plus a pick. Essentially they could end up with 3 firsts for the Iggy deal or a 1st and 4 2nds or some other combo.

It's just about asset flipping. Nobody thinks we are getting something for a SnT of Shump because the other team is giving up value for Shump.