1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

BAE is indeed 2 years, why the Rockets decide to immediately split their MLE for house without exploring others is my question. Was House a player in danger of being outbided for on the first day of free agency. Redick's deal was 2/26, which the Rockets could've
    easily approached if not surpassed by offering the full NT tax MLE for 3 years or even 4. Lambs deal is barely 10 million a year 3/31... the NT MLE starts at 9.7 with 5% raises each season.

The point is, why take yourself out of the running for Redick, Lamb, Hill, etc etc just to immediately split the MLE for House?

You repeatedly claimed the trade would have "added significant money" to the Rockets, I pointed out that it wouldn't have, since it was nearly net neutral in terms of salary. As for whether or not the Morey would have "an understanding" I didn't speculate nor did I offer any opinion/assumption about what the roster/salary would look like two or three years down the line, since IMO the answer could be vastly varied. So yeah, not sure what you are referencing there? Heck ask philly, knicks, warriors, raptors and nets fans what they can assumed this past free agency period. Its the nba a lot can change/happen in a year or two.

Huh? Just because I doubt the likelihood of certain transactions/trades being successful makes you question why I'm a fan? Just because I doubt the likelihood of Morey being able to get Butler or Iggy, doesn't mean I think "everyone" is lying to me lol (Nor did I basically say anything like it). The only thing I basically said is that I didn't know if they were going after Iggy and doubted/would bet against those transaction being completed in that sentence you quoted. So please leave your paranoia to yourself

As to why I doubted their success, first I didn't think much of the 2018 offer for Butler. Second and more importantly from my years following the league, IMO trades are HARD and specific efforts are more often than not, unsuccessful. Furthermore in a competition between many parties, which an NBA trade usually is, chances are you'll miss out more than you hit.

I'm confuse here... when did I state that the Rockets were hellbent on avoiding the cap at all cost last year? IMO the Rockets didn't resign Ariza/LMM, didn't use the MLE etc was to cut cost, since I'm guess that tilman/rockets didn't deem it worth it. However their efforts to trade for Butler, thereby possibly adding future salary was definitely not a cost cutting move, since it would've added 1million to the payroll and more significantly eliminated any chance for the Rockets to get under the tax for 2018-19. It seems pretty clear to me, Rockets wanted to cut cost when it came to Ariza, LMM and the MLE, but were willing to add or at the very least maintain costs for the Butler trade. When the trade fell through, the team move to further cutting costs with the knight trade, then to the gymastics with house & vet minimum signings.

As for why the the Rockets would wait till the final 18hours? I've no clue since KOC reported much earlier the Rockets looking to dump Knight on Feb 1.

Think someone once said, trades are complicated and often difficult to complete. So obviously the Rockets werent waiting till the day before the deadline to trade Knight, as for when it was actually completed? Does it matter, as long as its completed in time?

#301 blahblehblah, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    cmlmel77 likes this.
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agree to disagree... Honestly I attributed the turnaround to the dramatic spike in James Hardens performance. IMO if rivers/faried were replaced with House/Hartenstien, heck any two random vet minimum signings, the Rockets would have made the playoffs. YES IMO Harden was that good.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

that pretty much contradicts the 11-14 start that actually happened. but sure believe what you want. most of us already know about harden but even he can suffer through a team stretch like that if the personnel is abysmal. lets not forget the lawson year either

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The Rockets would certainly be in the tax if they added Iggy. Tilman/Rockets would also put to rest any cheap reputation that's exist.

IMO not resigning Ariza/LMM or using the MLE last year or this year could be defensible individually... since there are certainly legitimate reasons for doing so... but to do so in BACK to BACK seasons? Not to sure about that.

BallaDoc likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Harden were that good heda been MVP.

If GSW (just) make the p/o's SC will be MVP.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Apparently Rivers/Faried were the REAL MVP! cue durant crying gif

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha the only thing missing is Morey in the background with a red Terminator eye.

mario elie and daywalker02 like this.
  9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

It was reported today that the Grizz are looking to trade Igoudala hoping it to get something in return. They are not planning to waive him. Things could obviously change but I don’t see the Rockets taking on his contract of 17 mil for this year and next.

10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

This is when Brandon Knights contract would have came through in the clutch smh

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

S&T Shumpert functions as the same tool.

D-rock, luckyman76 and YOLO like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Only difference is that Shump has to agree to it and the receiving franchise also has to be okay paying a premium for a bench player.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

however, given the contract will need to be inflated a bit for the deal to work, why wouldn't shump agree to getting a contract worth more than what he really is and memphis would be paying less than it would for Iggy who they also have no use for

Deuce likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well Knight is paying a premium for a bench player. So that is not different. Yes Shump has to agree to it, BUT, it likely is making more than he would in the market AND he would be making less than Knight so the receiving team gets the benefit.

D-rock likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Short sighted decisions cost you in the long run

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. I'm just thinking, what if Shump wants to choose his situation. Obviously if he is getting a $14M deal, he is likely to take it, but you never know I guess.

Also, what's the verdict on an S&T for Andre? Does that hard cap us? I been confused when we are hard capped and when we aren't.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he probably will in the end, once memphis waives him lol

there's so many posts about the hard cap, it really is hard to differentiate who is correct and who isn't haha. i tend to follow bima's updates as much as possible but it can get lost in the shuffle

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We needed to get out of the lux tax last year to avoid the repeater tax in the 2021-22 season.

joshuaao likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

True. I guess Memphis does have to meet a minimum salary floor.

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

It hard caps you if the SnT is sent your way, not if you SnT a player out.

ElPigto likes this.