1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who's left and who can we get with our remaining midlevel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Jul 1, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure why you need the offseason to be done but you got it

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Because he can still make a move that can change my opinion? I’m pretty sure the Harden trade was like in September and out of no where.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Because he would be a bad fit, imo. Would not fit our defensive scheme. Could be a locker room problem. I am out on Cousins.

4. heads.up

heads.up Member

Come on my dude the Rockets have not missed the playoffs in James Harden's entire tenure. We were title contenders as well last year - just ran into the Golden State buzz saw as usual, which they will not be there to stand in the way this year.

D-rock likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tipjar bet?

YOLO and D-rock like this.
  6. Obito

I appreciate your optimism, but we lost to GSW at home without Durant, that was no GSW juggernaut. Raptors, Bucks, GSW possibly Philly were all better than us last year.

I appreciate what Harden’s done, it has nothing to do with him and unfortunately everything to do with the people that surround him.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

well considering the fact that the likelihood of a move like that isn't very good. that's why im confused. the core of the team is already set

8. Obito

One at time sirs! If we stand pat this offseason (no signing of any star or significant role playerS [plural]), i’ll tipjar bet yolo 50$ we do not win 50 wins.

9. Obito

It’s improbable, but it has happened before, no harm in waiting a couple of months.

10. Nook

Nook Member

There are still a lot of players out there that can help the Rockets.

Jordan Bell has maturity issues, the Warriors didn't even want him back.

Tolliver is long which is nice, but there are others.

Caldwell- Pope, Cauley-Stein, Wilson Chandler, Jared Dudley, JaMychal Green, Justin Holiday, Hollis-Jefferson, Amir Johnson, Boban Marjonovic, Stanley Johnson, JaVale McGee, Darius Miller, Marcus Morris, Markief Morris, Emmanuel Mudiay, Sefolosha, Iman Shumpert, Ekpe Udoh

All of the players above are unsigned and not all of them are going to get good contracts.

Personally I would be looking long and hard at some of the wings like Caldwell-Pope, Hollis- Jefferson, Stanley Johnson and Darius Miller.

If the Rockets can get Marcus Morris for the remainder of their MLE, they need to do it now.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure. doesn't change anything for me as far as not being able to get 50 wins at min

12. RocketTheory

RocketTheory Member

Looney show up when u need him, seth would be a nice fit here..

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does our defensive scheme stay the same without Bzdelik? I also discount some of his defensive struggles in the playoffs - he's a year removed from a blown achilles, and probably came back too fast from a torn quad in the Finals (thank you, Golden State medical staff!)

I think he's supremely talented. It won't happen, but a two-man game with him and Paul leading the 2nd unit would absolutely torch the league. He'd also abuse the blitz / switching defense teams use against Harden -

The Rockets need more size - the only proven 4/5 players on the roster are Tucker (all 6'5" of him) and Capela.

14. Nook

Nook Member

No one really wanted him at that price.

Even the Rockets were not willing to offer him that much.

Free agency has been weird this year, a whole lot of money spilled in a few hours........ and still a number of quality players left and a lot of them are going to have to play for the minimum.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bell chose Wolves over Rockets.
    Tolliver signed with Blazers.

RHJ, Stanley Johnson, Vonleh, for Vet Min, sure.

Afraid JAM Green, KCP, Marcus Morris will be gotten by LAL/LAC.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Every single game in the Rockets versus Warriors series was decided by 6 points or less.

KD played in 5 of the 6 games. There is this false narrative that the Rockets played the series without KD.

The two teams were very close, there is a good chance the Rockets win that series if Durant is out like he was against the Raptors.

The Raptors won the series against the Warriors because Durant missed almost the entire series, and Klay Thompson missed 25% of the series and Looney played after being ruled OUT for the series.

So no, the Raptors and Sixers were not better than the Rockets. The Bucks maybe were better, but they had problems in the playoffs as a number of people predicted.

So what do we know? The Warriors reasonably healthy, beat the Rockets in a close series..... that is it.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wow, KCP is still available?

Shocked if he does not re- sign with Lakers if only option is vet min.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I don't really rue missing out on Tolliver or Bell honestly.

There are a number of players similar to Tolliver out there I prefer.

I really like Bell's athleticism, but he has real issues with coaching and focus in GS. So, while I would have taken him, I don't view it as a huge loss.

Wilson Chandler is someone I think would help the Rockets.... even as an older player. He has height and length, can defend 3-4 spots and can give the Rockets a good 15-20 minutes a game.

Let's wait and see what happens........ I don't want a repeat of last year, signing garbage when decent players are available.

I also know the Rockets are shopping around S&T options involving Shumpert and draft considerations.

JoeBarelyCares, Deuce and joshuaao like this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Harden trade was IIRC the day before league play started. Not quite out of nowhere b/c OKC had to make a choice about extending Harden and paying tax penalties. (I think they would do it differently now.)

20. Nook

Nook Member

Possible, that is why I think the Rockets should use what they have of the larger MLE to sign one, ideally to a 2-3 year deal.