1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So Jon is going to kill Dany, we all in agreement on this being the only way out?

If Jon does live he can't sit on the throne though. Tormund did hint that he belonged in the North.

cml750 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  2. justtxyank

Uh...how? The whole city was screaming "ring the bells! We surrender!" Why would that confirm anything to Dany?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was watching this episode and thinking that they understood the characters enough to do them justice when adapting what GRRM already wrote. They don't understand the characters enough to write for them on their own.

tinman and Space Ghost like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not sure why the LoL brought back Clegane but I liked that twat so I was ok with/ it.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Each episode keeps getting worse this season.

That was an absolute trash of an episode. Utter disgrace to this show.

Dragon should have killed the writers/directors with his fire breath for their injustice.

Last episode the scorpions couldnt miss from a moving ship.

This episode they couldnt even fire any shot and if they did, hardly any came close.

lol wtf..

...and the way they killed Cersei................

[​IMG]

The morons ruined the show.

GTFO.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Someone might want to inform the showrunners the meaning of bittersweet.

I know what the themes the story is trying to tell about power, war, religion, etc etc. and I can certainly appreciate that. This whole story is based off of an anti war poem by Robert Frost. This is not a show that should in any way end with a theme of glorifying war, and power. This ending for Dany’s story makes a ton of sense on its face, but the storytelling is where the issues lie.

Where they are blowing the landing here is with the rushed ending. Just another episode alone would have done wonders to create some sort of texture for change or character arc.

Yes we all knew Dany could do this, and the show has told us as much since episode 7 in season 1 when she does what she does not to save the life of her husband but because of her quest for power at all cost. She could have fled with Jorah that night and found another army but no... she’s always been this way, but.... the turn in the end didn’t bring back in enough of the character beats from earlier seasons to remind us that this is who she is.

Same could be said with the Arya arc to letting go, etc. One scene of her riding into Kings Landing with some good dialog and we can see how she’s changing.

I just think the big mistake here is time and context to character arcs. In the end it’s D&D’s fault for not recognizing this in planning seasons 7 and 8 and forcing HBO to give them at least another episode of two of context.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I still enjoyed this season. But for whatever reason I’m glad it’s almost over.

9. justtxyank

I agree that the rushing is what has led to most of my dissatisfaction . I know the story they are trying to tell but I don’t think they are actually telling it on screen as much as they are relying on us to just get it.

Also, so much of twitter is cheering on dany tonight. I don’t think they effectively demonstrated that she’s horrible. They mishandled the tension between her and Sansa where Sansa looked like a jealous b.

Anyway, HBO offered them two more episodes to do the story this year and the writers said no. They’re ready to be done

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

most overrated showrunners of all time; they got by on excellent source material, production values, actors and directors

but it all fell apart when they had to write it themselves

cml750 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Can we PLEASE have a shocking and unexpected death in the final episode? Qyburns brittle bones syndrome was the extent of a shocking death. I'll settle for a catfight to the death between Sansa and Danerys.

#1491 Falcons Talon, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm going to quote this because this is just how predictable this stupid show is now.

Dany will turn on jon and fullfil the whole northmen don't fare well down south, arya will have some scene of watching him just like ned but save the day by executing dany

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I guess the final episode will be about Arya trying to return the horse to its owner?

cml750, BigM, GotGame15 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The pace is a bit too frantic as expected. Feels like rushed character development is the reason for the twists and turns this season. Varys is a G that moves in silence like lasagna, and his power move was revealing his motive to Jon Snow in the open?

The Daeny turn was just a one-hour Snickers commercial.

I enjoyed the episode for the action. I’m cool with the dominoes that are set up. But I feel like it needs another episode or two for the new character motives to resonate.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I get all the nitpicking which we could all do.

It was obvious with them showing Euron looking up at the sun and also telling them to keep turning the Scorpions that Dany figures a way to attack without giving them a chance.

They couldn’t see directly into the sun and she came from the side. Also kept going low and high so they couldn’t readjust. Clearly she had a plan and wasn’t caught off guard like last episode.

I mean I don’t know how’s much clearer they could have made that? While it’s still annoying at least it’s plausible.

#1496 Stack24, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Rashmon, Harrisment, BigM and 4 others like this.
  17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Unsullied were spying on Tyrion, bells confirmed to Dany that Tyrion set Jaime free to escape with Cersei.

Dgn1 likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What about at the Red Keeps gates? They had them aligned with scorpions but that dragon had the agility of a 14yr old ukranian girl gymnast.

19. justtxyank

I mean you can say that but again, the whole city was saying “ring the bells” so what would the bells ringing confirm? Jamie could be in the tent and they would still say ring the bells.

BigM likes this.
  20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Watch the scenes again. She came at those from the side after she got done with the ships. And there is a specific scorpion they show where they were low and he told them to hurry and tried to raise them. This was because she kept changing heights.

They showed the ships far away and out of range of the ones at the gate. So they could reach her there. She took care of those and came from the side.