1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BLAME LUXURY TAX SAVINGS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, May 11, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2. xaos

xaos Member

Good use of all caps

D-rock and lnchan like this.
  3. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I blame MDA, Capela, and Gordon, in that order. Rockets were right there, couldn't make it happen.

But yes, we could use some more length and versatility. Way too much "outside-in" offense, we literally have no post presence.

Tillman needs to loosen the purse strings big time, no luxury tax this season so no excuses next season.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. mastan

mastan Member

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I'd rather blame Refs

6. mastan

mastan Member

What makes Tilmann now to spend money when he refused last season to keep Ariza/Luc despite that team being a championship caliber team?

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Trade ariza for rivers n Kelly O
    Trade knight n 2 picks for t Harris

Has bird right for all in summer, wonderful!
    Tilman really wants rings, moreys fault.

8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Well, the whole idea of getting under this year was to avoid the repeater tax when we are forced to go over the massive extensions of CP3 and Harden over the next few years. I don't think there's anyway to avoid the tax in the future so they seized the opportunity this year.

I also think there were a lack of "game-changing" moves that would've made us significantly better this year to the point where Tillman and Morey felt our odds of winning would dramatically improve. I can't think of any significant signings or lost opportunities that were solely due to Tillman's cheapness, can you?

The Shumpert deal along with letting go of Brandon Knight's and Chriss' contract was probably the worst move in retrospect. Shump was never that good and now Rox don't have many expiring contracts to work with.

Resigning Ariza and LRMAM really wouldn't have changed the game for us. I also don't think we had any business competing with phoenix's $15 million/yr offer for Trevor and there were more than likely doubts about Luc's health.

roslolian and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Lets not be stupid and act like we didn't swing for the fences for Jimmy Butler or didn't try and get Green and Temple from the Grizzles.

roslolian likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Spend $500M on players. If they still don't box out or play a cohesive defensive scheme, you'll get the same result in tough games.

11. mastan

mastan Member

What is the excuse to trade James Ennis for nothing? I'm not saying Ennis is a great player but he was definitely playable at playoffs and against GS..who knows he could help overcome the close games..why trade Anderson for even worse players and then trade them by adding 1st round picks?.Ariza may have stayed if he were offered 2-3 years deal worth $8 milioon each year. We didn't even use the MLE. We had a squad of gaurds and no SF/PF, no heights and athleticism... this team had disaster written all over it.

Little Bit and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...Rockets-Q-A-with-Jonathan-Feigen-13838545.php

"....Though spending the exception money would push the Rockets back into the luxury tax, general manager Daryl Morey has already been given a green light to pay the tax, a person with knowledge of the team's planning said."

Feigen post season Q&A, Rockets will definitely go over the Luxury tax as expected, the question is how much though.

13. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

I blame neglecting the draft and overpaying role players

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Playoffs MVP!

#14 topfive, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    D-rock and mastan like this.
  15. Raven

Raven Member

He even looks like a jerk.

D-rock and Little Bit like this.
  16. farr3l

farr3l Member

Miss me some Less

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I want to know wtf happened to faried.

That was our LRMM moment this year that made us one dimensional.

NM... Just read about his baby. ****

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah it would've helped, but everything went our way. Can't complain about the opportunity presented to these guys. They didn't have "it". They wouldn't have won the both of the next 2 series even with one better bench player imo.

20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Why does mAh Moute's name even come up? He played in only in a handful of meaningful games as a Rocket. Ariza was the defender that made a difference with his Tmac/Pippen like dimensions. Plays well with Paul and was the perimeter defender this team needed to retain.

#20 Sanctity, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019